• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

High mass arm cartridge recommendation?

lilwing

CAGE FREE AUDIO ZOO
Subscriber
Elac Miracord 10H arm.
This came with an Empire 3000 I cartridge.
Is that a good cartridge for such an arm?
 
Register to hide this ad
My experience with the 10/10H tonearm is that a stylus tracking at 3 grams or higher will sound the best. Since there is no anti-skate mechanism, I tested the skating force of the tonearm with several different cartridges and found that the Shure M3D with a Jico N3 stylus as well as the Shure SC35C cartridge, set at 4 grams skated the least.

Keep in mind that the 10/10H is now past 50 years old so the condition of the tonearm bearings and lubrication, depending upon the individual tonearm, will vary wildly from when they were new.
 
Last edited:
The Miracord's is not really what I would consider a high-mass arm, but a Denon DL-103 might be OK in it.

For comparison, I am using one in a Technics SL-Q2 tracking at 3g -- not an optimum arm/cartridge match by any stretch, but the combination sounds dandy to me and tracks fine (no audible mistracking, skipping or sticking that I've detected after a couple of years of use now).

spinnin1f by mhardy6647, on Flickr

(EDIT: heh, listenin' to Steely Dan on it as I type this...)


I think (???) that the Empire's fairly high-compliance. If so, not a great choice for that arm.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom