• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

HK CD 401 idler tires confusion!

So last week I verified I heard the high pitched tone when connecting my jumper to J5 (output jack). I verified this again today, but upon looking at the traces on PCB9, I do not hear the tone when on the positive sides of either J5 or J6. But when on the inside ground leads, that's when I hear a high pitched tone through the speakers. So I'm not sure what I'm hearing, and I guess I'm shorting the signal from r479?
 
I'm a little confused by your response above. On the RCA jack (J5 or J6) the outer metal part is ground and the signal is on the metal part that is inside the hole. Is this what you connected the wire to? An easy way to connect to an RCA jack to test is to plug in an RCA cable into the jack, then on the other end of the cable either touch the ground (outer) or signal (pin) of the connector on the open end of the cable.

1690468324330.png
 

Attachments

  • 1690469522640.png
    1690469522640.png
    192.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I touched on the solder side of PCB9 where J5 and 6 are the leads for the jack. Following the PCB traces on the board I can see which lead goes to ground. I can't connect to the jack itself because I have RCA connectors plugged in to do the test.
 
Going to button it up today and use it to make tapes. I really appreciate you two helping me try to find the playback issue. Thank you so much for your time.
 
As best as I can tell, it would be:

ID - ~8-8.5m
OD - ~11-12.5m
Thickness (height when laid flat) - ~3mm

Can anyone confirm?

Can anyone point me to a supplier who might have something close?

This is the closest I could find-


Thank you
Hi all, re: HK CD-401 -

Intro:
Long story short - I have a CD-401, bought some months ago from a dishonest Audio Lab pro seller (he sells descent gear though) on line and paid him in advance. Many issues NOT disclosed, including this PB, FF, RW present on picking up demo. He even blamed me made it to stop after I touched the faceplate,
We HiFi'ers all know this must be from belt or wheel failure. He asked more dollars to fix it. I denied and took it home as is. I have been busy since, but bought some belts, just to prepare for fixing it myself.

(A) Belts -
With the new belts in hand and over many after-work long nights studying this machine, I determined it a difficult box, not designed for diy repair. When I was about to give up, I found some ways to remove the motors for putting on the main and spool new belts, but nothing changed after.
(B) Wheels and Idlers -
I then looked at the tranmission parts, in different nights and with different resuslts from each. I hope my experience can help and benefits whoever needs it.
Here we go, in summary form:
(1) on checking the intermediate (white) wheel and tyre, the tyre (belt) disintegrated into pieces.
(2) replaced it with an O-ring that I have in hand, but its too narrow, the final (black) wheel missed it and was too thick.
(3) added one more O-ring to make it wider for contact surface, worked, but the thickness was apparently a problem. They squeezed and pushed the black wheel tyre up, especially with FF and RW speed. I was hoping the black wheel tyre to run in the groove between two O-rings, that didn't happen because the black wheel tyre is like a flat belt riding on both O-rings.. (when belts and that tyre gave up, it was a sign of time the other rubber parts reached the end of their lives).
(4) When pressure built up, the clutch hub behind the white wheel tyre disengaged, and kept slipping. I believe it acutally slipped before I noticed or before I put on O-rings.
(5) I also tried with pvc shrink tube, 1 ring, 2 rings (1 over the other), they worked briefly. Afterall, pvc tube for tyre can not survive the service of playing.
(6) Removed the very tiny retaining washer....(note - in my case, this washer broke, and flied away two time. luckily and finally found it back to hold).
Findings:
(a) the clutch hub case had some kind of felt for friction,
(b) the white plate carrying the said white wheel per #1 above has some hairline concentric grooves ,
(c) other parts consist of a black coupling tube-ring and a disc with a brass cross.,
(d) I thought this cross was for a rotation motion *sensor next to the spool belt motor, but proved wrong. No idea what it is for except as a sub-set friction part. ( * a 2SC2320 transistor).
(e) no idea what to do next, how to rejouvenize or to replace the felt to generate friction and how much friction is actually needed,
(f) I chose to take a "non-damaging" option (no matter what, the felt has be fixed or to go, the grooved plate can be cleaned with white alcohol or nail tint remover if needed). -
(i) applied glue spray over the felt, and on the grooved plate, let them dry for 2-1/2 days, (note: all parts must not be seized together. they need to slip to avoid breaking the tape when tension arises).
(ii) put them back, bingo. I got back the friction. May not be enough or too much, but it works, at least I got back the motion from spool motor.
(g) now, back to the tyre:
(i) measured the white wheel, dia. is like 9mm x 11 mm with tyre. (unfortunately no such flat-belt in the market for diyers),
(ii) rubber tubes of 9x11 or 8.5x11, don't have any handy and don't know where to buy,
(iii) where I was jotting down the shape and size ..... with a pencil and ball pen, I noted they have a "rubber" collar on each (i suppose they are soft pvc),
(iv) no harm trying, I pulled them out, cut a ring from the section that looked near/alike,
(v) bingo, another bingo, it worked. this tyre must NOT be too thick,
(vi) privsio - it worked but not the best of what I expected,
(a) both collars are not real or artificial rubber, pvc wouldn't last long
(b) neither can provide me with consistent performance, but the tyre ring on deck works for couple of hours now, and yes, the deck had 3-4 time occassional stops, but could continue to "play" when pressed again,
(c) so far no tape chewing on Play, and FF, RW both work.
CONCLUSION:
These are the areas to heal.
I will keep it to run as is until I can find the rubber tyre, and hopefully, for the black wheel as well.
 

Attachments

  • 20231125_223932.jpg
    20231125_223932.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20231125_230529.jpg
    20231125_230529.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20231130_193508.jpg
    20231130_193508.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 16
  • 20231127_164642.jpg
    20231127_164642.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 16
O rings rarely work. there is not enough surface area to provide grip, you need a flat surface. I have tried multiple sizes and durometers and none work. You have to try to find replacement idler tires. www.fixyouraudio.com is the only reliable supplier. If he doesn't have them, you are out of luck. This is why I don't repair cassette decks anymore.
 
Back
Top Bottom