• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How does H-D stay relevant in a changing market?

You did pick some of the nicer looking ones. Well maybe not the Kow

Your going to read into it what you want so have at it.
 
I've owned a few domestically made motorcycles since I retired, Four HDs, a Honda VTX-1800, and the Indian Scout that will likely be the last of my 2-wheelers. The VTX stands out as the strongest, the '88 FXR the most comfy all-day ride, the Indian as an effortless great fit for who and what I am now. The Evo was less needy and more refined than the '84 Shovel FXE, a vintage bike with the usual vintage bike quirks. The iron head Sportys were a ball for two hours or 75 miles, after which the ride became more work than pleasure. Older bikes with older bike quirks, I enjoyed them while I had them but the older HDs have a very "agricultural" mechanical character that can be charming or exasperating, depending on needs and expectations
 
You are not part of the target market.
Understood. What manufacturers did under the Roosevelt and Truman administrations has zero impact on my buying decisions.

They are not going the way of Honda any sooner than a Corvette will become a Civic.
Honda has gone the way of the mid-engined NSX and engine supplier to Formula One and Indy Car racing. H-D is incapable of competing on the world stage.

And just like the Civic, when and if your Honda wears out, you know its fate.
I could maintain it forever if I chose. Usually after a decade or so, I choose to purchase better. Although I am still enjoying my 2001 S2000. :)

hondas.jpg


As for post#100, Honda is not limited to a single paradigm. They offer a wide range of styles using different engine configurations. That's how you sell eighty-five times the number of units H-D does. Here's another: The RC213-V-S:

rc213v-s-lead-01.jpg
 
Last edited:
Yeah. Definitely. They need to attract a younger crowd who want little commuter bikes and eventually move up the chain. That is what the Sporster was supposed to do but it's too expensive now.
They are never going to go toe-to-toe with race bikes. But Eric Buell proved they can make one heck of a good handling, light and powerful sport bike that on the twisty back-roads can out maneuver a superbike when in the casual riders hands. They made 100 HP at 6 grand, shifting is optional.

If I could come up with a suggestion it would be a small twin, maybe 500cc, priced cheaper than a good used car. Keep the V, give it a naked look, straight up riding position.
 
Yeah. Definitely. They need to attract a younger crowd who want little commuter bikes and eventually move up the chain. That is what the Sporster was supposed to do but it's too expensive now.
Along with mediocre performance at that size/price point. Worked in the sixties, but not now. Remember the TV series "Then Came Bronson"?

If I could come up with a suggestion it would be a small twin, maybe 500cc, priced cheaper than a good used car. Keep the V, give it a naked look, straight up riding position.
Whatever. Do something to appeal to audiences younger than your grandfather.

Here's another popular (and fun) product used widely in many parts of the world. Wifey and I love visiting Bermuda where scooters are the primary mode of transportation.

PCX150_2019_02.jpg
 

HD went the little scooter bike route with negative results. They can't flush what got them here, any more than Ducati can. Once again, they are not going to compete in a market that doesn't support the iconic marque's history and tradition. Kings, presidents and rulers from all over the globe rode and ride Harleys. They're not going to re-brand Sears mopeds with wings on the tank.
 
Back
Top Bottom