• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I need a dummy plug or remote control RC-20 for Akai X-330, or instructions on how to bypass dummy plug

The schematic for the Mecha & Power Supply Schematic that I posted in Post #10 says it is the same for the X330 and X330D.
Look at what it says in the bottom right corner.

1790779340761.png

I can't do it, but I suppose that, if you exclude what is stated and follow the circuit downstream, the interruption will show up somewhere.
 
This is what Google says.
So what you point out about the 14.5V transformer secondary winding outputs that is probably used for the audio amplifiers.

1790779813084.png
 
Wow! I have to start out by saying I am amazed! I started this thread last night a couple hours before I started getting ready for work. I work graveyards, 9p to 6a, and when I come home at 6:15 I generally head straight to bed because at 73 I'm not good for much else. When I got up a few minutes ago I checked the thread and saw you guys have been really busy working on my problem and apparently doing so for hours! You guys are seriously DEDICATED! You have no idea how impressed and grateful I am. I called my brother's eldest son and asked him about this deck because he packed it for shipment (it apparently is arriving tomorrow according to FedEx) and asked him about the remote and dummy plug in detail. From what Jr. recalls (he attempted to see if it still worked before packing it and used a tape to test functionality) the dummy plug is definitely lost (years ago when his dad attached the remote control) and apparently the remote got lost in one of the families multiple geographical relocations, so this explains why the machine had so very little use at all. Jr. tells me he could not get it to do much of anything, but recalls quite clearly that until the remote got lost it functioned perfectly on those rare instances when his dad actually used it, and also clearly recalls his dad's extreme aggitation when the remote got lost and his saying, "It has to have the remote attached or that dummy plug in place in order to function at all", thus his frustration.

Having said all this, I know that jumper wires, if one knew where to place them, would solve the problem, but my eyesight is about gone from chataracts and reading the schematics (which I am really lousy at anyway, one notch above bone ignorant) so if you guys could actually figure this out I'd be eternally grateful in your debt. When the thing arrives tomorrow I am going to open it up and see if there really is nothing connected to pin 11 on the remote socket, count the wires on it and verify color of all wires described in schematic. I suspect the pins on the socket are literally numbered on the inside of it where the wires attach so this should be easy to check. I'll get back to you with findings. Meantime, know that I am very, very grateful for the time and effort you guys have expended so far. I really want this deck functional because it's the only thing I have, aside from a few old (really old!) photos of Mike to remember him by, and when I pass on in a few years I want to leave the machine and my ridiculously extensive tape collection to my grandson Ian who absolutely worshipped Mike when he was alive, that way he could have Mikes machine and my tapes. Incidentall, I also have a mint condition X-360 as well as a Magnecord 1024 (stainless steel finish) as do a couple of you guys, so I feel sort of "bonded". There's also an Akai x-355 in the mix as well. God, talk about fast forward and rapid rewind! That thing is fearsome fast! Hoping for some good news in the near future, John.
 
OK...various questions, various languages, various manual sources, various forums and whatnot later - no dice!

It seems you're going to have to draw the schematics yourself.
As the pre-final resort, I would:

1) Ask Scott, as already suggested.

2) It seems the Roberts 5050XD is the original and Akai X-330D is rebranded for Japan, though built there by Akai. Looking for it yields even less, but... Mikesmanuals offer the service manual (a copy) and there's an original offered on ebay. I would contact both asking for info about the edition, or better yet, a snippet showing the wiring of the remote plug, or perhaps the whole transport schematics page we're talking about, so you know what you buy, if you so choose.

Good luck.
 
Last edited:
Scott is the one that makes the newly manufactured Akai remote controls. borchee had a 'click me' labeled link in post 12. (borchee has hyperlink skillz....)

While the description says he does not make a wireless remote for the RC-20 and the 330D isnt mentioned in the compatible one, he does have a contact email listed and is worth asking for help.


Images and screen prints from linked site. This post made possible by borchee posting link.
 

Attachments

  • Akai_RC-70_eBay.jpg
    Akai_RC-70_eBay.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20261002_100840_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20261002_100840_Chrome.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20261002_101328_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20261002_101328_Chrome.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom