• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I shouldn't do this, but, - why that gear cost so much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Positron. Dude. Head on over to diyaudio and see how a marketing master, Nelson Pass, communicates with his potential customers. You might learn a thing or two.

I run a Pass amp in my main system. One of the reasons that I felt comfortable buying it, as it was a rare case where I couldn't audition something before buying it, is from posts I have read of his, and how he just seems like a nice, straightforward, no BS kinda guy.
 
Screw you in what way?
How exactly were you blackballed from reviewers if you don't mind me asking?

About this hammering incident. So a reveiwer took your preamp, smashed it with a hammer, then sent it back to you?
Why would anyone do that, it makes no sense.
 
You'd think if there was such a thing as an "ideal" amplifier, preamplifier, speaker, cd player or whatever the best would converge on that performance and they'd sound more and more alike. The fact that they don't only demonstrates one thing; THESE GUYS WHO MAKE THIS STUFF DON'T KNOW WHAT THE EFF THEY'RE DOING. Don't mind me. I've only been surrounded by scientists and engineers and worked with them all my life. What would I know about it? Just ignore that. New and improved equipment is coming out every day. Get those charge cards and check books ready, you're going to need them for the rest of your audiophile lives. Happy hunting.
 
So, we should listen to some guy on the internet who has;
"been surrounded by scientists and engineers and worked with them all my life."
but we shouldn't listen to scientists and engineers that actually work in the audio industry?
Facinating.
This thread has gone from the bizarre, to the ridiculous and back again.
 
You'd think if there was such a thing as an "ideal" amplifier, preamplifier, speaker, cd player or whatever the best would converge on that performance and they'd sound more and more alike. The fact that they don't only demonstrates one thing; THESE GUYS WHO MAKE THIS STUFF DON'T KNOW WHAT THE EFF THEY'RE DOING. Don't mind me. I've only been surrounded by scientists and engineers and worked with them all my life. What would I know about it? Just ignore that. New and improved equipment is coming out every day. Get those charge cards and check books ready, you're going to need them for the rest of your audiophile lives. Happy hunting.

So what you're saying is that every single engineer working in audio is colluding on one massive scam to rip everybody off. What, is there some secret lair where they meet, and laugh, and all roll in money? Because it seems to me that you are slandering a LOT of people. So everybody, from the dozens of engineers at Pioneer/TAD on down to some guy making small numbers of amps on his own, is working in full knowledge that they're not improving on anything, and is only in it to rip people off? ALL OF THOSE PEOPLE?

From the tone of your posts, I gather that you are also somebody burned by the industry. Could there not be an element of sour grapes going on?

BTW, the simple reason that amps aren't converging is that there is no one ideal amp, and not everybody is chasing the same interpretation of what is possible. This isn't live music, it never will be. That leaves room for personal preference, and some people like some things, and some people like others. So you have different companies, with different ideas of what is ideal, chasing their own version of it, and passionate people who agree with them, chasing that same version of what is possible, buying those products. That's it. Its not evil, its a hobby.
 
Last edited:
So what you're saying is that every single engineer working in audio is colluding on one massive scam to rip everybody off. What, is there some secret lair where they meet, and laugh, and all roll in money? Because it seems to me that you are slandering a LOT of people. So everybody, from the dozens of engineers at Pioneer/TAD on down to some guy making small numbers of amps on his own, is working in full knowledge that they're not improving on anything, and is only in it to rip people off? ALL OF THOSE PEOPLE?

From the tone of your posts, I gather that you are also somebody burned by the industry. Could there not be an element of sour grapes going on?

BTW, the simple reason that amps aren't converging is that there is no one ideal amp, and not everybody is chasing the same interpretation of what is possible. This isn't live music, it never will be. That leaves room for personal preference, and some people like some things, and some people like others. So you have different companies, with different ideas of what is ideal, chasing their own version of it, and passionate people who agree with them, chasing that same version of what is possible, buying those products. That's it. Its not evil, its a hobby.

"Its not evil, its a hobby."

At the risk of repeating myself...for the people who make and sell this stuff it's a business.

I didn't say all of them are crooks. There's the possibility that many or even most of them are just clueless. So there is no definition of what the ideal audio amplifier is supposed to do, not even for an electrical engineer? Then how does he know one design is better than another? Because he likes it? Because it sells better? Because the old design isn't selling as well as it used to? What is the goal of the people in this industry? Easy one. The same goal as people in every industry. To make as much profit as they can. Why else bother? A lot of them are just jealous that Dr. Bose beat them in that department, in fact he beat all of them combined. And with products that they not only hate but aren't even audiophile grade products. I think it's pretty funny myself. BTW you still seem very angry.
 
I am angry. I'm angry that this hobby is filled with people who seem to only be involved to piss on it. To suck every last ounce of fun out of it. Arrogant people who think only they have the answer, and that anybody who has a different answer could only have arrived at it because they're either clueless, or a crook.

I'm angry because a bunch of people are doing things they enjoy, like using a SET amp, but they can't do so without getting pissed on by people such as yourself. Because it doesn't meet your criteria. It's not what you would do, and because of that, the people doing so are idiots.

You are the oil to water's fun. A poisonous leach on this hobby who seems to exist to just ruin any good time that somebody dares to have that isn't to your liking. And I'm angry that you're just one of many of these types of people who make this hobby into a chore, instead of something to take your mind off of the real chores.
 
You'd think if there was such a thing as an "ideal" amplifier, preamplifier, speaker, cd player or whatever the best would converge on that performance and they'd sound more and more alike. The fact that they don't only demonstrates one thing; THESE GUYS WHO MAKE THIS STUFF DON'T KNOW WHAT THE EFF THEY'RE DOING. Don't mind me. I've only been surrounded by scientists and engineers and worked with them all my life. What would I know about it? Just ignore that. New and improved equipment is coming out every day. Get those charge cards and check books ready, you're going to need them for the rest of your audiophile lives. Happy hunting.

Sony have one or two scientists and engineers on the payroll, yet their 'audiophile approved' speakers still come in at 20K USD.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/sony-ss-ar2-loudspeaker

As good as these speakers may be, I wonder how many audiophiles will buy them over a boutique brand ? Just sayin'.
 
I am angry. I'm angry that this hobby is filled with people who seem to only be involved to piss on it. To suck every last ounce of fun out of it. Arrogant people who think only they have the answer, and that anybody who has a different answer could only have arrived at it because they're either clueless, or a crook.

I'm angry because a bunch of people are doing things they enjoy, like using a SET amp, but they can't do so without getting pissed on by people such as yourself. Because it doesn't meet your criteria. It's not what you would do, and because of that, the people doing so are idiots.

You are the oil to water's fun. A poisonous leach on this hobby who seems to exist to just ruin any good time that somebody dares to have that isn't to your liking. And I'm angry that you're just one of many of these types of people who make this hobby into a chore, instead of something to take your mind off of the real chores.

If I make you so angry why do you continue to read my postings? You seem like the type who insists that the whole world has to agree with what you say. You were born in the wrong century. You'd have been great during the Inquisition.
 
The fact that they don't only demonstrates one thing; THESE GUYS WHO MAKE THIS STUFF DON'T KNOW WHAT THE EFF THEY'RE DOING.
What would I know about it?
As far as I'm concerned, absolutely nothing. People have asked you specific questions in response to some of the outlandish statements you've made and you haven't answered, but instead repeat yourself and make more incredible statements.

You posted "Worst of all, some of the most expensive equipment seems to me to be junk." and when asked to provide real world hands-on examples, you replied that you didn't want to get sued. You can't get(successfully) sued for posting your experiences, but I suspect that that's not the real reason.

There are people on these forums, I believe you are one of several in this thread, that believe they know better than everyone else and that those other people didn't come to their own conclusions through experience. That those other people were duped because they're not as smart as you.

I've put a lot of time and effort into finding what I like and what I don't. I've also listened to friends' systems and I can say through listening, most of the time when they (or myself) have upgraded to a more expensive piece it does indeed sound better. To imply that it's all a big sham is incredible.

I'd appreciate it if you would give some examples of gear you've owned and heard. It might give a frame of reference.

EDIT - I just went through your posts in all the threads. I didn't read all 300+, but I see a lot of references to older/vintage gear and no references to new gear. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that you have no experience with the very equipment that you have derided since you joined AK. Am I wrong?
 
Last edited:
It's been my experience with just about everything that the "know it all's" really don't. This most definitely applies to audio.
 
I could contact Dr. Charles .... who does work for PBS, and he could tell you some of the horror stories he has heard.

Secondly there are financial considerations, company against company. Thirdly, if you read back, I already mentioned
at least three reviewers who had their hand in the till.

The first, test pre, was hammered, inside and out, so shipping was not involved unless the shippers removed the cover to complete the job.

2nd, gent invited me to Mil to audition before an audio club. I did not wish reviewers and expressed so in my post. Night before I was to attend, the gent emails and tells me he is a reviewer. So what do I do?

I go, and the room is bare except for a small throw down rug and couch. Hardwood floor, walls, ceiling. Room is approx 18 x 30, from memory. Echoooooey is not the word.

Besides that the gain of the system is approx 45db before I added the tube pre. Pre is 20db. Noise was so loud that one could hear it easily at the other end of the room. Before I arrive home, a review is already posted on Audiogon by the reviewer. Never sold another pre in Wisconsin again.
That is what I get for trusting the reviewer.

3rd time different mag reviewer. Invited to St. Louis to audition at a reviewers house. He had a customer's 11A preamplifier for 3-4 days and emailed he wished to
do a review. I arrived, and around supper time, the reviewer asks me why I don't use clarity caps. I said because the
11A (10A was not there) is just how I want it to sound.

He did not leave it alone but kept pushing and pushing. Those caps aren't any good. I told him it depends upon how they are used. He pushed some more.
I told him that the 11A is so close to perfectly accurate (meaning output is exactly the same as input in every sonic parameter) that people cannot tell the difference when installed in their systems and when it is not (gain set, rigid setup conditions etc involved). Why would I wish to change someting that took decades to perfect.

He says that is impossible cause I use some Solen caps. Needless to say I never sold another pre in St. Louis. By the way, this reviewer is a weatherman, never had an electronics class in his life.

In 2009, I exhibited at the AKFest. I had standing room only almost all Saturday. A reviewer (St. Louis) from Positive Feedback stayed an
hour in my room (out of 9 hours he attended), and wished to do a review. Very impressed. Never heard from him again. Not one other magazine
announced themselves, took any pictures, nor posted even a sentence concerning my room. Yet, another
exhibitor visited us multiple times, and told us at least 4 times we had the best system there.

I think you can understand why I stay away from mags? Since I finally let the cat out of the bag, I bet the rags are really hacked at me.

Cheers.

I could see this happening.
Paid reviewers are paid to hype/praise the payers equipment, or degrade the competitors equipment regardless of quality. a honest independent reviewer should make his ears honest assessment, no matter if its good or bad.

No one will ever know what something sounds like until it is their own home environment.

I have been to a few houses buying equipment in which there was what many here on AK would consider to be high end gear, i honestly did not leave wishing i had their equipment.
Now,
Those folks equipment may have sounded very nice to me in my own home, but from what i heard in their house, i am not running out to buy it.

This doesn't mean i think they spent to much money on it, simply because i personally don't care what they spent.

I do however hate to see spending a lot of money on items that simply are not worth that amount of money.
There are items such as EQ's that just are not worth commanding big dollars. its not like its a receiver, or CDP or amp, its just an EQ.
This is just my pet peeve though, if you feel like spending $300 on a $10 EQ, go for it.
 
Last edited:
What a site this is. We have one person who knows how to make everything better and cheaper than currently available anywhere (but doesn't) and another poster who has disingenuously neglected to let anyone know he is a manufacturer of gear.:D

Oh boy! I can hardly wait for what's coming next.:smoke:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom