• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

IE Security Threat!

Desktop folders (and what is in them) count as part of your 'profile' - which should be kept as small as possible - as it 'loads' each time you log on.

Mine is 223MB XP SP3 (bigger than it should be) - how big is yours ;)

Just did a bit of pruning - now 189MB...
 
Last edited:
Good news is Apple upgrades the OS every few years .... for free!..... Bad news is ...... it usually requires all new hardware well a new laptop or desktop anyway !eer maybe a new Trashcan ☺


IE x.x security patch for windows XPSP3
right here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42591

You can do it with Windows update also small file we are talking megabytes

I would think about migrating to win 7 or 8.1x This vulnerability has been in the wild for a couple of years so they say. but now that it's been published
and XP is at EOL and soon to be without security patches it's time to move on because black hats all over the globe are going to be trying to hack XP
for whatever vulnerabilities show up next week after this one has been patched .

OTOH M$ has supported XP to home users at no charge for ~13 yrs
Nobody does that Not Apple ,(although they do provide free upgrades the kicker is their upgrades usually require new hardware just like the last one!) lotta pissed off Mac pro folks out there! ever see anyone with an old mac that actually used it ....... on line?

Linux LTS (long term support ) It's free ,upgrades are free and it works very good after *some learning curve. Official support is 5 yrs for Linux and it will run on anything including a Coke machine! . Oh Apple OS are nix based also! maybe that's why they work well !

Nobody supports an OS for 13 yrs for free ! ... so really M$ is not the villain here!
If XP didn't work so well ya all wouldn't be still using it☺


Trust me Win 7 and 8 are better! You can probably run 7 x32 on a P4 or Athlon 64 I've installed it on an Athlon 64 x2 3800 for someone not the fastest way to run win 7 x32 but it worked !


OTOH Linux Ubuntu 14.04 LTS would run a lot faster
on those boxes muy bueno !You have to see it to believe it and it wouldn't be an unreasonable alternative. Lots of Free very good software avail even some MS office /word/excel etc compatible stuff there, Media browsers you name it they have it! .(free on line software store Imagine that!) .............. and official support until ~2019! then a newer free version !
Oh Linux comes with Firefox pre installed lots of other stuff also !
This box is a dual boot configuration it runs Win 7 x64 or Linux Ubuntu ! other distros are out there too! but Ubuntu would have the most support!

Thx a bunch; that's what I was looking for! :cool:

* If you want to upgrade to Windows 7 or 8 (or 8.1) from Windows XP, it costs money; it ain't free.
- From Windows 8 to 8.1 yes it's free.

Hey! I got Windows XP with Internet Explorer8 - Is this patch from the above link applied to me? ...What should I do???
 
Last edited:
By the way, my desktop is so full of logos that I don't have any more room on my screen to view other stuff!!! ...I need at least three desktops, and two monitors; 'bout you?
 
Thx a bunch; that's what I was looking for! :cool:

* If you want to upgrade to Windows 7 or 8 (or 8.1) from Windows XP, it costs money; it ain't free.
- From Windows 8 to 8.1 yes it's free.


Hey! I got Windows XP with Internet Explorer8 - Is this patch from the above link applied to me? ...What should I do???
The Link will work fine

Then DOWN LOAD AND USE CHROME from now on ..or Firefox !☺ IE 8 is stone age and way slow chrome will give your box a new lease on life on the web ! Modern browsers have come a loooong way since 8 there are no good reasons to be using it on a home PC , Firefox is an excellent browser also both get regular security patches . You still need to think about loosing XP though.
https://www.google.com/intl/en-US/chrome/browser/

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo...=txtdownload&gclid=CJDSipmqlL4CFZRqfgodXgsA-w

You can also go here , or programs in win xp x32 forvthe IE winXP patch
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • win update.jpg
    win update.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
By the way, my desktop is so full of logos that I don't have any more room on my screen to view other stuff!!! ...I need at least three desktops, and two monitors; 'bout you?

If you have too many shortcut icons just make a folder on the desk top and drag them them into folders on your desktop by group
or drag and drop files into folders and folders into into your library's by type or programs and apps into your program groups
or directly into a folder already in your librarys (shortcuts will usually have a small arrow on them) folders and apps will not.

Applications /programs should be onC drive in x86proogram folder (32bit)
or program folder for x64 bit applications most program installers by default will make an appropriate folder in the appropriate location

Ex: computer xx C: > programns or programs x86 for 32 bit if on a 64 bit pc.
I have seen newbies tell an installer to put program files on the desktop though ☺ Hit up You Tube for a Windows XP tutorial video or a few of them might help you should be plenty on you Tube just search "windows XX tutorial"
with xx being your version of windows .

Put your pictures in the picture library >my pictures

And your music in the music library >my music then just make the 2 library shortcuts on your desktop.

Same thing for documents

You only want frequently used shortcuts on your desktop

You can drag and drop files and folders into your library's

It goes like this Computer > music>my music > (sub folder if you made one)


By default there are 4 library folders within library's in the computer group in win XP/Vista/7 (or is it other places in XP ? ).... I don't even fix XP anymore I make the folks upgrade at least to 7 .
I just snatch their data/media and whatever else I can salvage to re install unless the drive is competently dead .You can use Ubuntu disk or another drive to recover files and media if the OS partician is hosed and wont load windows but the drive otherwise still works .
Documents
Music
Pictures
Videos

example :
computer >documents >my documents (reccomended) for documents of primary user . same for other library's example : music>my music>sub folder you made >make selection do that for all your library's
Windows Media center, and other media browsers and some players know to look in your music or video folders for content to link .


EX: Video >my video>movies (if you made a movie sub folder)
and so on you can make sub folders within sub folders
example Videos>my movies > ISO movies,or DVD 5 Movies and so on
or John Does movies,or Jane Does Movies or my Porn☺ and so on
Create your sub folders in each library by type and optimize each main library folder accordingly in folder options which will automatically by default optimize each sub folder they contain within that directory for you .


You can make sub folders in all the library's and have each library or frequently used library sub folder shortcuts on your desktop

Same thing for programs and x86 programs
you should only have frequently used shortcut icons on your desk top
and know how to find the rest of your applications .

You can also optimize and customize your start menu and task bar .
if you have too many icons just make a folder on the desk top and drag them them into folders on your desktop by group

I have 233,732 pictures (files) in 360 folders just in in my picture library
but only one picture library shortcut on the desktop . I can access ant of
360 files (picture sub folders by group ) with 3 clicks from the desktop .

Sometimes I make and use temporary desktop folders for files I am working with or encoding or deciding where to put them . I have a shitz folder in my docs and a favorite link + desktop short cut to it I put stuff I may or may not keep in there and later either delete it or archive it appropriately.
I have 535GB on this TB drive but I can find everything that doesn't necessarily mean I remember all that's on here though . :no:
 
Last edited:
By the way, my desktop is so full of logos that I don't have any more room on my screen to view other stuff!!! ...I need at least three desktops, and two monitors; 'bout you?
Here is my win 7 x64 desktop on this PC. I made a desktop shortcut folder (4th row down ) and put a bunch more less frequently used shortcut icons in there ,(drag and drop) In that way you will not have as much clutter on the desktop. You can make more than one folder and group by type if you wish .
Win 7 x64 sesktop
attachment.php

I've got 7 browser tabs open 4 folders and 4 apps It's not working vary hard ~ 1%CPU on two of the cores ofc windows always tries to fill up (claim) the ram if it's using it or not but it's never been an issue on this box even with 30 browser tabs open at once and an HD video on the other larger 40"screen at the same time ! It's a good daily driver and media encoder /editor/player but not a hard core gamer.


Here is my Mosaic Desktop skin (Same PC You click it on or off ) when I want to pretend Windows 8 tile screen ☺It works just like Win 8 ...for the most part ..actually a little better in some but not all ways
it even has a lock screen just like Win 8.x
attachment.php


There is also an Ubuntu 12.04 LTS desktop on this PC but I,m not booted into
Linux right now.
 

Attachments

  • mosaic 050503.jpg
    mosaic 050503.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 23
  • w7dt 050503.jpg
    w7dt 050503.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I keep seeing this ad on various cable channels, for "PCMatic". Latest one the founder of the company says his product can keep your XP machine running safely for years.

Anyone have any experience with "PCMatic"? Not that I have any desire to try it, just curious.
 
I finally updated my system here at work and the MSE tent went red, so I uninstalled that and on franks suggestion I'm now using avast free and also went to Google Chrome.
 
I keep seeing this ad on various cable channels, for "PCMatic". Latest one the founder of the company says his product can keep your XP machine running safely for years. You can use the browser and application cleaners weekly or monthly for
for maintenance as needed and specify just what you want cleaned. Windows 7 and up de rag your hard drive automatically no need for that the default is *usually wed@ 0100 that can be checked or changed in task scheduler>microsoft>windows >defrag
Anyone have any experience with "PCMatic"? Not that I have any desire to try it, just curious.

Don't waste your money it doesn't do much if anything you can't do in windows or with command lines if you know how .

Otherwise CC cleaner (free) does anything and more than you need and puts all the tools you need in one application and works very well I use it as a consumer and highly recommend it!

Just don't clean the registry often ,or at all if you don't know what you are looking at . Although I have never had a problem with CC Cleaners reg cleaner it is generally considered safe . I have used it .
but I go over what it wants to clean and always create a restore point first even though CC cleaner gives the option to export a back up copy of the registry before any action is taken a restore point usually works better if needed.


As long as you create a restore point first a semi annual reg clean with CC cleaner shouldn't hurt but it will not as a rule give a performance boost.

You can probably live without a reg clean * unless you are seeing .DLL errors in that case it may help and I would do it manually (if you know how otherwise stay out of there!) or definitely instead with CC cleaner if .DLL errors are present and a system restore or cold boot did not fix that. Beware there are other paid and free reg cleaners out there many can cause major problems . CC cleaner is usually safe




If you do choose to clean the registry semi annually or so with CC cleaner make sure you create a system restore point before you use that option in CC cleaner this can easily be done in control panel>back up restore or just by installing a windows update.

Just Know registry entries ,even 1,000 or 10,000 won't *usually slow your system down (or take up much drive space) in Win NT/XP/Vista/7/8.x ..... that is a sales hook,
An urban myth and a carry over from the win3x/9x days when that was *somewhat true in *some cases.

Piriform ,the makers of CC cleaner have a longstanding well deserved good reputation . CC. cleaner is recommended by C net ,PC magazine and many others I've used several of their products as a consumer.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom