• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

In the money.

Well, it´s time to cross your fingers, the STR-7065A is in the hands of the local tech. In a month or so, hopefully, it will be back in full working order.
 
Well guys, I´ve lived with the Sony for a while now and I will NEVER part with this little gem. I thought that my Sansui Speakers had been running at there full potential with My Sansui AU-919, and My Philips FA-960 MKII, but no... The Sony just make them sing a lot better. Man I love that Receiver!
On another note, a new pair of bass units are on the way for the Revox 4620´. So all is well here in the happiest country in the world (according to TIME magazine)
 
Looks like a new Sony item will grace my setup soon, bought a TC-204SD tape deck of the "bay" the other day.

sony-str-7035-tc-204sd-02_34035.jpg

pic from the web.

looking forward to see if it´s as good as the 7065A.
 
The Audio gods has once again smiled down on me. Found another Receiver at the same charity shop, this time a fully functional NIKKO 7075:

nikko7075008.jpg


nikko7075007.jpg


nikko7075006.jpg


Only thing not working is the Stereo bulb, anyone know what size-voltage this bulb is? I can´t seem to find any service manual for this Receiver (for free) any where.
 
Don't be tempted to put any bulb in there if you don't find the specs , the stereo lamps are more often than not driven right from the MPX chip and putting a bulb of too high a current could blow that chip.
 
Strange that Sony went to screw terminals on the 7065. I have a 6065 and it has push button binding posts that are very easy to use. I do like the how they changed the backlight on the display and meters.
 
I won´t put any bulb in it before I know the values of it no, thanks for that warning.

Those binding posts are a nightmare with bare wires, but works ok with spade connectors.
 
Sold my Sansui SP-L700, so new speakers are on the way. Two sets actually: Pioneer HPM-100 (early series) and Pioneer S-910. Should be fun comparing them, to see/hear the difference.
 
New speakers has arrived. Got them via a forum member at a Danish Vintage site, where I´m a member too. The guy who original sold them, painted them White so a lot of work has gone in to getting them nice again.

hpm-sony002.jpg


hpm-sony003.jpg


hpm-sony004.jpg


I still need to do a bit of work to them yet.
 
I recommend trying to get that speaker away from the corner. As it is now, it will produce considerably more bass than the other. And not the kind of bass that is good, either.
 
Congrats on the Sony STR-7065A score.

I sold mine a couple of years ago. I still wake up in a cold sweat, wondering why the hell I sold it.:tears:

Beautiful receiver and one of the best sounding vintage receivers/amps I've ever heard.

Great Stuff.:thmbsp:
 
I understand having the clear plastic balance knob unbroken is the icing on the cake with these receivers. They tend to get brittle over the years.
 
He will just have to demolish that pesky wall eh ?

I think my neighbor would be pretty P-O´ed about that if I did...

The Sony is like new now, so that´s really nice. The Pioneer S-910´s are coming in the beginning of March, were we have a get together, us guys at a forum here in Denmark.
 
Great finds for your system! Could you share what the problem was with the Sony receiver so that others can reference your experience?
I would think that better speakers would show what the Sony is truly capable of putting out. Keep on the lookout for some that are more high end. There is a lot of good hifi gear in the Old Countries.:yes:
 
A transistor on the pre/power board was not soldered in properly (cold solder) that got fixed + a recap. I disagree that the HPM´s or the SP-L700 are not decent speakers, I´ve had JBL-110, 86 and 112´s that are regarded as good speakers, the SP-L700 surpasses them in my opinion. As to how the HPM´s perform, they still need a pair of stands to lift them of the floor, before I can really hear the potential. This is just my opinion on the speakers, there seems to be a different taste in sound in the US to here in Europe.
 
Those HPM's are great speakers, no idea what the other poster is on about there.

I have a set of JBL L110's myself, great speakers thst you dont see around very often.
 
I have this feeling that the S-910 might even be better speakers than the HPM´s. The HPM´s have a good rep, partly to it´s creator and his work on the JBL L-100, but the S-910 got all of the attention from Pioneer`s TAD division.
 
Back
Top Bottom