• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

In the money.

Wow. :jawdrop: I'm making a trip to Denmark to visit this shop!That Sony and Nikko are stunning.Congrats on your amazing finds.
 
Well Guys, the saga continues. This time I had to get the wallet out though. A set of Denon PRA/POA 1003 is in the house. Always wanted to try this set that IMHO is some of Denon´s best effort. Pics on the way, they needed a good clean before I plug them in. On another note, I also got a Philips High Fidelity Laboratories Pre and Tuner on the way + a Marantz 140 Power amp. Life is good.
 
Oh by the way, the 140 was picked out of a trashcan, by one of my fellow hifi forum mebers at our Danish forum...
 
Congrats on getting the Philips tuner and preamp. Now, really look for the matching power amp for a super system. Mine displaced a Mc system I bought new and used for decades while fending off some very decent competition. The preamp is the unit needing most attention usually because of the capacitive switches. The darlingtons tend to give out and the corresponding caps lose spec. I understand a not too hard fix if the tech is decent and you have the service manual.

The tuner and power amp also have these switches, just fewer and the big plus as they are not mechanical they do not break down themselves.

The 140 ain't too shabby to get into the mix. Congrats.
 
Thanks Brian, you´ll drop you jaw when you hear what I paid for the Philips pre and tuner. I did have an eye on a Philips power amp on epay, but gave up when it hit 450€ :tears: My tech is a top notch guy, so no problems there.
 
The tuners seem to universally go for bucks as many seem to know how good they are while the preamp as good as it is seems to get no respect. I got my set in a chancey trade as I knew they worked but had forgotten all about them. I think after getting them the trade was fair, neither a great deal for either of us. The seller had them on display for some 6-months with no bites and wa looking to dump them and I had some pieces no longer in use that I was looking to dump. He figured he could unload the smaller pieces than these and I was looking to consolidate a bit and get into a higher powered amp whcih is what I actually was wanting out of the deal. My Mc MC2105 was doing great duty on my Symphonies but I sort of caught the power bug with them and another couple of db did make them sound even better, especially in the bass region where the Bozaks can trly show off.

The tuner I had no idea about and the preamp I had some interest in but sort of remembered it as being overpriced when new. The tuner was not out when we auditioned the preamp and power amp salespersons samples. A couple of my employees wanted to carry them just to get the salesperson's discount as for the price, they did pretty much knock off anything we carried and the salesperson discount for the set was more than any other makers being 60%. We'd have carried the line but had units in the price points that we finally agreed were more likely to be easier sellers.

Get the tech to go through the units; they are really easy to work on so few hours in soldering and unsoldering and pulling things apart. The boards all plug into computer like plugins and the only downside it that evedry couple of years I found it beneficial to pull each board and clean the contacts and then replug the boards in. It reduced the introduction of noise over the time frame. Most units with plug in boards need the tlc.
 
I´ll Get my tech to take a look at them as soon as I get it, got both for 88$.

On another note, here are some pics of my Denon set:

denon3002.jpg


denon3003.jpg


denon3004.jpg


denon3005.jpg


denon3006.jpg


denon3007.jpg
 
Nice GT Zaskar on the screen :)
And a nice vintage Sony score. They definitely have a nice vintage sound and are built like tanks.
 
Last edited:
Nice Denon setup. Looks like a real keeper just from the physical appearance. Denon has a checkered rep as to quality; so great and some so-so and these look like some of the good ones.
 
I would say that these are of the good kind...

Denon001.jpg


denon1001.jpg


denonpioneer003.jpg


denonpioneer001.jpg


Got my setup put right, and are trying the still not original Pioneer S910´s on the Denon´s
 
Got my new Marantz Model 140. It was saved from a Recycling station, and it shows a bit, some rust shows but not to bad:

marantz140003.jpg


marantz140002.jpg


I took at all apart and cleaned it, changed the Vellum paper in the VU meters. I had to paint the light wells, they had yellowed badly over time.

denon3001.jpg


denon3002-1.jpg


denon2001.jpg


Needs new fuselamps.

Adjusted BIAS and DC, and will be testing it for a while before addressing the rust issue.

marantz140001.jpg
 
New tweeters has found there way to my Pioneer S-910 Speakers, found a set on Evilbay. These tweeters makes my day (and the speakers) everything is crisp, and nice. I´m running all my gear flat, no Loudness, and it sounds sweet and full.

7267aa38-802f-4020-b7b2-b957284d3f6a_zps7d42bfaa.jpg
 
Yeah it´s getting there, I need to find a new bass unit for one of the s-910´s too. it has a crack that has been glued, nicely repaired but would like it to be replaced.
 
Loudness is a godsend when your equipment does not match your speakers, but when you can turn it off you know you are on the right path.

Listening to Tuva Simmingsen singing When I´m laid in Earth (Dido´s Lament) from Purcell´s Dido and Aeneas, it´s heaven (see what I did there?)
 
Back
Top Bottom