• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is my cartridge a match for my arm

losthorizon

Well-Known Member
I have a Kenwood KD 990, and I want to fit a Denon DL 103r to it, but I have been getting conflicting advice on the pairing, has anyone tried this, and does it work?
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a Kenwood KD 990, and I want to fit a Denon DL 103r to it, but I have been getting conflicting advice on the pairing, has anyone tried this, and does it work?
I have a Denon DL-103SA (103R sub-type) on my lightweight SME 3009 Series 2 (Improved) arm. OEM, the SME 3009 is designed for high-compliance MM-type cartridges. The Denon DL-103R MC cartridge is a low-compliance type.

I needed to go to a heavier headshell (Sony SH-135 vs. the OEM perforated SME) and a heavier counterweight (138 gm vs. OEM 110 gm). This got the tonearm resonance into the proper 8-10Hz range (mine is 8Hz on a test record).

The bass is great, and the thing tracks very well.

You may also need to adjust the Kenwood's arm weight to use the Denon MC cartridge properly.

Good luck!

:thumbsup:

01a56c14-dc3a-4d55-8ccc-a3a0470265d7.jpg


c083e892-6216-4208-b1b0-6fb27720c8b6.jpg

Heavier SH-135 headshell.


ab35a5ef-cfbb-45e9-98bf-465e03c196e7.jpg

Heavier counterweight.
 
Last edited:
Kenwood KP -990 with a Denon DL-1013R cartridge.jpg
I Googled this. The only difference I could find between the KD-990 and KP-990 is that they are nearly identical — except for the intended regional markets.

The KP-990 is Japanese Domestic (100VAC). The KD-990 is for export (120 or 220VAC).
 
Last edited:
Hi yep, MORE weight, easiest trick is to insert a 10 gram brass Head-shell spacer

Cheers

PS, you may also have to add more weight at the C/W, try Blu-tack if you have nothing else.
 
There are these that go between the cartridge and the headshell. You would need to reset the vertical tracking angle.

I bought heavier headshells. Three were different weights, and I used the one that put the cartridge and tonearm weight in the proper resonance range.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom