• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

is the C-80 any good?

tygr

Audiophoole
Is the C-80 pre any good in combination with the M-80? I know they were made for each other but how is the sound compared to other pre-amps with the M-80 (which should be here tomorrow, BTW).

Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
Yamaha preamps are pretty neutral, so to that extent, assuming everything is working properly, there should not really be a huge difference in sound between a C-80 and other Yamaha preamps.

I don't have an M-80, but using my C-80 with each of my 4 other Yamaha amps has given me nothing but amazing results.

Also, consider that the C-80 has inverted preouts. I use mine to bridge two of my P2201 amps for ~700wpc, when each one in stereo is only 230wpc. You can also make use of the inverted pre-outs even when you only have one amp, by running one channel out of phase:

c85invert.jpg


IMO it's things like this that give the C-80 an advantage over other Yamaha preamps, rather than differences in the sound of the preamp itself. I have a mint condition Yamaha C-4 that I obtained earlier this year. I did considerable back and forth testing between it and my C-80 and the end result was that I honestly couldn't tell a difference when powering my amps (I did not use the inverted preouts for the comparison, but had it wired normally). Because of that, I'm continuing to use the C-80 as my main preamp. Though if the C-4 had inverted preouts I'd almost certainly be using that instead because it looks way cooler. C-80 is kinda ugly IMO :)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom