• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Is this a Peerless tweeter?

JohnMac

Addicted Member
Hey all,

As near as I can tell this is a Peerless KO10DT but there are no markings on it. They are in a pair of AR-14s (which sound awful BTW).

Can anyone give it as positive ID?

Thanks,

John
 

Attachments

  • DSC06757.jpg
    DSC06757.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 256
  • DSC06758.jpg
    DSC06758.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 134
Register to hide this ad
I always was under the impression that Peerless soft dome tweeters had a hole punched in the center of the dome. Could be wrong, I guess- my experience is limited to Polk Peerless tweeters.
 
It is a peerless tweeter.
Those with hole in the middle are only used in Polk speakers AFAIK.
 
FWIW and AFAIK, the tidbits of info already posted above are correct.

* Some OEM Peerless tweeters (e.g., that in the early AR-14) had "funny" fascia.
* Only Polk poked (polked!) the holes in the domes (again, AFAIK).

EDIT: The AR-14 shouldn't sound bad; it should sound good. Something's amiss...
 
Last edited:
FWIW and AFAIK, the tidbits of info already posted above are correct.

EDIT: The AR-14 shouldn't sound bad; it should sound good. Something's amiss...

I find them really disappointing. The tweets sound great and there is pretty nice mid-range but where's the bass? I'm by no means a bass hound but this pair is definitely lacking.

The guy I got them from re-foamed them. A nice, neat looking job but I wonder if that has something to do with it. There is a slight buzz in one woofer that I didn't catch when I auditioned them. I think the driver is OK but his alignment is off. It can only be heard on some very low frequencies on certain songs and is slight. I think that's probably a separate issue from the lack of bass.
 
Last edited:
I always was under the impression that Peerless soft dome tweeters had a hole punched in the center of the dome. Could be wrong, I guess- my experience is limited to Polk Peerless tweeters.

Only Polk punches the holes. No other Peerless tweeters have them. The picture is definitely a Peerless tweeter.
 
I find them really disappointing. The tweets sound great and there is pretty nice mid-range but where's the bass? I'm by no means a bass hound but this pair is definitely lacking.

The guy I got them from re-foamed them. A nice, neat looking job but I wonder if that has something to do with it. There is a slight buzz in one woofer that I didn't catch when I auditioned them. I think the driver is OK but his alignment is off. It can only be heard on some very low frequencies on certain songs and is slight. I think that's probably a separate issue from the lack of bass.

Check your speaker AND driver phase connections. Then make him redo the bad driver.
 
I just pulled the woofers and they aren't wired out of phase. The connection from the amp is correct too.
 
I know it's not a fair comparison, but I have AR 48s and very good amount of bass they have.
 
OK, they don't sound "awful". I've been listening to them this afternoon and they sound quite nice. I still don't think the bass is up to snuff though. I was doing an A/B with some speakers that may be a bit bass heavy so that may be part of it.

I still feel something is lacking though. I can hear their potential when I turn up the bass control on my pre but I don't usually use it.

And now for some reason I haven't noticed any more VC rub. I can only replicate it on one Hendrix song where the bass goes real low.
 
Play that speaker side ways or upside down and if VC rub is gone in one position, rotate the woofer that way.
 
Try flipping the rubbing woofer upside down. Gravity may be just enough to help the voice coil clear whatever it's rubbing against.
 
I just pulled the woofers and they aren't wired out of phase. The connection from the amp is correct too.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to successfully re-foam or re-cone a vintage AR woofer, for a variety of reasons. The 12's can be made barely passible, but the smaller diameters are simply impossible.

-k
 
Interesting, Ken - guess my elderly AR-14 isn't worth refoaming, then? :-(

An AR-14 should have prodigious LF. I have a pair of Teledyne-era AR-14s (with different drivers than the early AR-14), which I did refoam successfully. I spent some quality time listening to them once with an older, borrowed Parasound power amplifier and they were pretty stunning actually :-)

AR14tweeter.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom