• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I've got a question

I/m glad it was posted here because I wouldn't have seen it hidden in that other forum. Remember a mod can move it if they desire.
o_O That's like saying the cops can write you a ticket if they don't like you parking in the no parking zone. Why make extra work for them? Don't abuse the free labor.
 
When you say decent tt, does it have to be modern or can a vintage one be good also, and what does 78 records mean? Thanks

Decent will have only meaning for you and only you.

I'd suggest immersing yourself for the next while and educate yourself as to how turntable works and what characteristics go into a "decent" one. Go to the "turntable" forum and do lots of reading there as to what people think of the different brands and types of TT's offered. For some, it may run into the thousands, but most stay in the hundreds of dollars. You may even get one for under a $100.

Modern TT's often can run more money, but there are some Technics on the market that don't sound too bad, and they aren't that expensive.

Then there is the cartridge which actually takes the music from the grooves, and that's another area that you will want to know as well.


The 78 is the number of revolutions that the record turns within a minute. The other numbers (45 & 33 1/3) indicate the different turns per minute as well. 78's are no longer sold.

Again, I repeat...don't spend a lot until you know what it is you are buying. Take your time and go through the different forums learning the terms and vocabulary of the audio world.

If you have questions...just ask. That's what AK is here for.

In no time, you will be helping others.:)

Q
 
Last edited:
https://www.library.yale.edu/cataloging/music/historyof78rpms.htm

As for what to call these black discs, I prefer "records", although some referred to them as "record albums"*. That's what they have been called since the beginning of time, at least until the hipsters noticed them.

If we refer to these as "vinyls". then CD's, DVD's and such should be referred to as "plastics"

*The "album" nomenclature is a throwback to the days of the 78 RPM record when large scale classical pieces would not fit on one disc so multi-disc sets were issued in boxes or book like folders which ere referred to as albums. See that link I provided for more on this.
 
*The "album" nomenclature is a throwback to the days of the 78 RPM record when large scale classical pieces would not fit on one disc so multi-disc sets were issued in boxes or book like folders which ere referred to as albums. See that link I provided for more on this.
Back in the 50's/60's records with more than 1 song (excluding 7" 45's) were called albums or record albums.
 
Old RCA gear is noted for excellent quality and good tone. I expect it has better tone than the harsh and flat sounding 1970s solid state Japanese gear so popular on this site. I'd get a new needle for the unit and play vinyls on it. RCA label vinyls such as Elvis and those of the Chicago and Boston symphonies probably sound "right" on the unit.

As has been mentioned it might need some work. But it might work OK as is too. Give it a shot.
 
Last edited:
Nobody's blaming anyone for using the word incorrectly, we're just trying to stop folks from doing so. :smoke:
Very true, It's all those of us using the correct term are seeking. Most offender seem to be from English speaking countries too!

Here is Australia It's rampant among the younger generations.
 
Last edited:
My point in the "vinyls" comment was that it is not cool to be an asshole to a new member. The comment was a total bullshit thread crap. Who the hell cares what he calls records or LPs or 78s? Who appointed anyone the AK nomenclature police?
 
Helping a new member to understand the proper nomenclature is NOT being an asshole nor is doing so a "total bullshit thread crap." Who appointed anyone to be in the New Member Personal Protection League?

Suggesting nicely that the correct term for something is blah blah blah is a hell of a lot different that saying "And stop calling them vinyls" If you cant see how that is not being welcoming to a new member then I dont know how to explain it. That was not helping, that comment was lecturing.
 
No, and please stop calling them vinyls.
The guy did preface it with "please," making it a plea rather than a lecture. :)
You seem to have conveniently omitted the "please" in order to bolster your argument. Perhaps this discussion has "many sides, many sides."
 
Last edited:
Who has the authority to say you can't call records vinyls? It's a logical progression from the modern practice of calling records in general vinyl---if records in general are vinyl then an individual record is a vinyl--what's so strange about that?

I think that to some extent what's going on is a group that considers itself hep and refined in taste resenting having to share the scene with a new and younger crowd and losing control of the scene. So the senior members of the scene try to control it by asserting authority and making rules. And some of this is probably just the "get off my lawn" thing.

Anyway it's slang and nobody controls slang. Dig?
 
Last edited:
What's with the current slang of "Do you collect vinyl(s)?" I get asked that question all the time. I always say I own a few thousand but I'm not a collector. I own about 30 pairs of underwear but I wouldn't call myself a collector.
 
"Vinyl" always makes me think about the kind of auto upholstery which burns your legs in the summer when the car has been sitting in the sun. But really, does it matter? Vinyl, shellac, acetate, polystyrene.. how many of us really know enough about plastic to care exactly what material our records are made from?

The only time I find it truly ridiculous, is when I hear an older person trying to sound younger by using slang from another generation... if a guy at work who is 25 talks to me about vinyl, I won't correct him, but a middle age guy can sound pretty silly. Not because "vinyl" is wrong, but for the same reason my daughter hates if when I call her "dude", or copy the slang she uses with her friends to tease her.

I wonder if vinyl records will be carrying a California Proposition 66 warning soon, about how they contain materials known to cause cancer, due to trace amounts of lead.
 
Back
Top Bottom