• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL 4311B or A/D/S L-710?

JIMSYM

66 Fairlane GTA
I have been thinking about upgrading my A/D/S L-620's. I don't have any direct experience with the JBL's. The L-710's are nice sounding. What would you choose? Fair prices?
Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
The L620's are a nice speaker. The L710s will likely sound very similar in the top range, with possibly better midrange and bass. The L710 will probably handle more power. L620s go for around $125-150 on ebay, L710s go for $150-300 depending on age, condition, etc. I think the L620 is a real value in the ADS line, it's pretty much their biggest two way. The "2 bass driver" models in the ADS line tend to go for a lot more.

I have no direct experience with the JBL speakers you mentioned. Why the choice between these two models?
 
Watch out if the 710's have foam surrounds. I have yet to find a match for mine.

cubdog
 
Squidward. I was unsure the 710's would be much of an upgrade. I love my 620's but the cabs kinda suck. Maybe I should learn a hobby and try to veneer them. Only after a little practice.
The JBL's came up only because a pair is available to me in the price range of the 710's and JBL has a good rep on their older speaks.

Cubdog
I emailed the owner and he says they have rubber surrounds like my 620's. Haven't confirmed though

Thanks
 
I have a pair of A/D/S L-620 and a set of JBL L-36s, one of their best balanced speakers. I didn't think the 2-way 620s would stand up to the latter, but they are one of the best 2-ways I've heard -- not as in your face as the L-36, but very clean and tight.

Interesting spec differences between the 620 and 710, too.:

Freq response 620 = 30--20kHz, 710 = 40--23kHz

Tweeter: 620 = 1-inch, 710 = 3/4-inch

SPL: 620 =92 db @ 1 watt, 1 meter, 710 = 93 db @ 1 watt, 1 meter (basically the same)

Recommended minimum watts from amp for power = 15 for both


If it were me, I'd get the 4311B, particularly if they are local and no shipping -- that is one fine JBL monitor. I don't think the L-710s would be that much of a step up from your 620s (although I have not done a direct comparo). You will certainly notice a difference between the 620 and the 4311B, though!

Let your ears decide by listening to both.
 
Wornears
The side by side comparison would be great but I'm not sure the equipment and listening areas would be similar. Maybe I could take my SX-650 with me and try them out. Thats more practical than trying to pack my Onkyo TX-8500MKII around.
 
Jimsym: Good idea to bring a receiver you're familiar with. Don't forget some tunes too that you have a real sonic knowledge of. I use the Cowboy Junkies for vocals, and Aaron Copland or Vladimir Ashkenazy (piano) for classical, and Danny Gatton or Duke Robillard for a variety of guitar. YMMV. Hope you get the one you want.
 
Classic East Coast (ADS) sound vs. West Coast (JBL) Sound. Ported vs sealed boxes. To me it isn't about an upgrade, it would be about a definitive design goal difference. I have had both brands throughout the years and like both for different reasons, but they are more different than they are alike.

Just my .02,

DG
 
Back
Top Bottom