• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL L200 Studio Masters-Pics

Congrats!!!

Yup, looks like new veneer for sure - not that hard to do though.
I also have the Michigan grill foams - they are Identical to New.

See my write up on the neodiddlium 2216 ND-1's here:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....l-2216-le15b-vs-jbl-2216nd-1-in-l200s.830641/
Alobar and I are just gob-smacked at how these woofs totally remake these speakers, even smoothing out the horn 'harshness'!

Heather: Yes! Scott keeps telling me to consider Smith Horns for mine...he still has his L300 clones, after all, and is now looking at ND-1s for those!! :) He's dying to compare mine and/or his upgraded 300s to his M2 clones, and thinks it's quite possible they are a bit more 'musical'. I've measured mine as pretty much flat to 20hz already - no EQ needed at all.
(See my comments in the above thread about port tuning, too.)
I swear these are THE best way to get to near TOTL JBLs !!
"You're gonna love the way they sound"
<Big Grin>
Thanks ned!
I've re-veneered a few projects, so that doesn't worry me. Hopefully most of that staining is superficial, except that larger very light area.

I'll read through your thread when I get some time set aside.

Cheers, Glenn
 
That Neodium thing?? Now THATS a woofer!
When I put mine together a few years back, Zilch recommended I go to Home Depot and get a pipe plug to fill one of the 2 ports on the front. Basically its a pair of big washers just a bit smaller than the hole with a carriage bolt and nut between them. Tighten down the nut on the front with a socket and ratchet until the rubber in between swells out and seals that port. In the picture below, its the port to the right. I painted the washer on the front of mine flat black so it was hard to see (shiney silver metal otherwise)

Closing the one port changes the box tuning - I thought it was an improvement.

Over time I also went with a custom Walnut Smith horn on top and a 2 inch mid driver - sounded better than the original internal horn and 2420 driver
(but the internal horn/driver is nice for SAF/WAF).

View attachment 1246637
Those look great! Looking forward to when I have time to dig into these.
Thanks for the info about plugging the port. I saw this before in another forum you were discussing these in when I was net surfing.

Glenn
 
A different way to go. Cabinets were in terrible shape and I actually had to make a piece to go along the bottom of one (the grey strip below the JBL logo). Wife painted these so they have a high WAF. :naughty:

BTW, I have the pair of "window screens" in my garage, but shipping would probably be outrageous.

Tweeter_Pics_001.JPG

Tweeter_Pics_005.JPG
 
Yes those are definitely worth the price you paid! Actually looks mostly superficial on the outside.. As for the grill, just get a window bug screen made up (using aluminum screen) as that is exactly what JBL used. There is a guy in Michigan, http://foamspeakergrilles.com/prices__ordering that makes really nice foam grills that are difficult to tell apart from the originals..

As for mods, the sky is the limit on these beasties! My route has taken me to add 077 tweeters, new diaphragms and foam in the LE85's, new crossover mounted under the speaker. For the same reasons of someone setting a drink or a plant on mine, I had smoked glass tops made for the top.. Some (including me) has said that these are great old speakers but the woofers were a compromise so last but not least, replacing the LE15B's with JBL 2216ND1's which are the same as what is in the JBL4367. These were a 10 minute swap, even the screws lined up perfectly.. This has been in itself a total game changer, and I still have quite a bit of work to do on the xovers. The clarity, the deep bass has been nothing short of astounding!

Here are a few pictures of mine as of this morning.. I would Hi 5 you, but you are just too far away! As for WAF, I put my foot down, and bargained quite a bit, but the L200's are staying!

View attachment 1246612 View attachment 1246613 View attachment 1246614 View attachment 1246615
Those look fab, and thanks for the foam grill link! I'm loving all the possibilities with these.
Cheers, Glenn
 
I've admired yours and have listened to your videos of them. Awesome sounding!
I have the screen grills & frames. Perfect condition. You can see them in the pics I posted.
 
Congrats!!!

Yup, looks like new veneer for sure - not that hard to do though.
I also have the Michigan grill foams - they are Identical to New.

See my write up on the neodiddlium 2216 ND-1's here:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....l-2216-le15b-vs-jbl-2216nd-1-in-l200s.830641/
Alobar and I are just gob-smacked at how these woofs totally remake these speakers, even smoothing out the horn 'harshness'!

Heather: Yes! Scott keeps telling me to consider Smith Horns for mine...he still has his L300 clones, after all, and is now looking at ND-1s for those!! :) He's dying to compare mine and/or his upgraded 300s to his M2 clones, and thinks it's quite possible they are a bit more 'musical'. I've measured mine as pretty much flat to 20hz already - no EQ needed at all.
(See my comments in the above thread about port tuning, too.)
I swear these are THE best way to get to near TOTL JBLs !!
"You're gonna love the way they sound"
<Big Grin>
Hey ned!
I read through your thread, very informative and inspiring.
Where do you source the woofers from, JBL directly? I also checked out foam grills site, and not too bad for the grills.
Glenn
 
Last edited:
Congratulations, Glenn! Those should clean up perfectly. In your place, I’d probably keep them nearly stock, just maybe update the woofers. Too many mods will take you away from their essence.

Curious: How are the fabric side panels held in?
 
Thanks ned!
I've re-veneered a few projects, so that doesn't worry me. Hopefully most of that staining is superficial, except that larger very light area.

I'll read through your thread when I get some time set aside.

Cheers, Glenn
What an awesome score! I've used a 50/50 mix of bleach and water on stains like that with pretty good success before, a little masking tape applied around the perimeter and set the mix on the affected area for a while before sanding. You might have to wipe dry and repeat a few times to pull most of the stain out.
You don't want to soak it too much to avoid lifting the veneer from the core.
Once dry then with a damp white t-shirt rag laid over the work area use an iron preferably a steam iron and put some heat and steam to it to raise the grain of the wood some and let dry before sanding.
I worked in a refinishing shop for a while in-between cabinet making jobs during the early 1980's recession and we pulled some nasty ink stains out of antique desks with this method.
I used the steam trick on the receiver box I just did to pull out some scratches and it came out really nice.
Here's the thread I did on it.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...e-of-a-vintage-receiver.826023/#post-11686817
It's worth a try and you might save the original veneer and the work of replacing it.
Looking forward to seeing the restoration on these you lucky dog. lol

001.JPG

003.JPG
 
What a really nice thing for @freddymac to do. Awesome project going to the right man for the job. When you get a chance check out some vids on some L200's on Kendrick Sounds YT's. Following this one too Glenn.

Garry~
 
What an awesome score! I've used a 50/50 mix of bleach and water on stains like that with pretty good success before, a little masking tape applied around the perimeter and set the mix on the affected area for a while before sanding. You might have to wipe dry and repeat a few times to pull most of the stain out.
You don't want to soak it too much to avoid lifting the veneer from the core.
Once dry then with a damp white t-shirt rag laid over the work area use an iron preferably a steam iron and put some heat and steam to it to raise the grain of the wood some and let dry before sanding.
I worked in a refinishing shop for a while in-between cabinet making jobs during the early 1980's recession and we pulled some nasty ink stains out of antique desks with this method.
I used the steam trick on the receiver box I just did to pull out some scratches and it came out really nice.
Here's the thread I did on it.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...e-of-a-vintage-receiver.826023/#post-11686817
It's worth a try and you might save the original veneer and the work of replacing it.
Looking forward to seeing the restoration on these you lucky dog. lol

View attachment 1247675

View attachment 1247680
Great approach and your results look fantastic! I think I'll try the acetone wipe down approach first and see what it removes before I do any sanding. Luckily, there's no deep scratches that I've noticed so far.

Cheers, Glenn
 
Congratulations, Glenn! Those should clean up perfectly. In your place, I’d probably keep them nearly stock, just maybe update the woofers. Too many mods will take you away from their essence.

Curious: How are the fabric side panels held in?
Thank you!
I'll take a look when I get home tonight and see how the side panels are mounted.
I think initially, I'll restore as stock, with the noted horn repairs usually needed, and look at the crossovers and do a recap. Not being too familiar with JBL's, the info and advice so far is deeply appreciated!

Cheers, Glenn
 
Back
Top Bottom