• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL L80t - Thoughts?

Spellbinder

My Spine Is The Bassline
I'm considering getting a pair of JBL L80t. Local pick-up. Any thoughts on these?
 

Attachments

  • JBL1a.jpg
    JBL1a.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 146
Register to hide this ad
Do a search, you'll see that they are very nice speakers and generally regarded very well. Some like to upgrade the crossover to t3 spec, but overall the entire JBL Lx0T and Lx0t3 series is very well spoken of.
FWIW, the 035TIA tweeters are generally worth around $100 on their own, so you can factor that into your pricing evaluation.
 
Last edited:
Thanks, guys. I indeed just finished a forum search and found some great info/reviews/opinions. Should have done that in the first place.

Sorry 'bout that. .
icon_redface.gif
 
Get 'em. They will be very revealing and the response curve is very flat. I have the 4410 Studio Monitor version of this speaker system. I have had them for years and recently made all repairs needed to fully restore them. They are even better the second time around! I can't praise these speakers enough.
 
I was so happy with the first pair I bought for fifty-bucks and re-surrounded myself, that I bought another pair locally from the original owner who had replaced the woofers with NOS from JBL. I paid double that for those. Now both pair have T3 crossovers and it makes a world of difference. Nearly the equal to my L96s . . . nearly. Very nice speakers generally under-recognized for their ability.
 
Spellbinder,
By the way the L80T's you pictured look to be in excellent condition.

I got a pair of L80t's about 6 months ago that cabinet wise were in good, but faded shape. The woofers also needed to be refoamed. I sanded the cabinets and applied stain to the cabinets to refinish. I replaced the electrolytic caps in the crossovers, deoxit'ed the connectors to all speakers, and resealed all speakers and terminal plates with double sided speaker seal tape. When done I was very pleased with the cosmetics and pretty pleased with the sound also. But I did notice that these speakers were pretty 'bright' in sound. Now, I had been using refurbished New Large Advents, so this was a pretty big change in sound from those.

Then, I think it was BMWCCA, who suggested that the L80t3 crossovers could make a significant improvement in the sound over the L80t crossovers. So, about that time a pair of L80t3 xovers came up on Ebay and I got those and installed. To my ears these did change and improve the sound. The highs were tamed and the mids now came through in better balance with the highs. The bass had always sounded good and still did. I definitely am happy with these, my first experience with any JBL speaker.
 
I love mine! I just recently bought a brand new set of Cerwin Vega VE-15's thinking I was going to have some speakers to replace the JBL's with. NO WAY!:nono: The JBL's far exceed the Cerwin Vega's(Not saying all Cerwin Vega's)
I can't tell you how much better the JBL's sound. You won't be dissapointed!:thmbsp:
 
Much of the decision should be based on price. The L80T is a heavy mid-sized beast, coming in at 60lbs (the L80T3 that came later, weighs 16lbs less). As a result, they're pricey to ship anywhere. I don't know if that was much of an influence on the price, or the presence of the more sought after L100T, but for some reason they were undervalued for quite some time. You'd be able to snag a pair for under $100 rather easily. Not sure if that's still the case...

Anyway, the L80T is a sleeper speaker and that L80T3 crossover upgrade is supposed to be one heck of a sleeper improvement. I'd go for that set if the price is reasonable. :) Definitely post about it here if you end up getting them.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom