• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL speakers are they really that good?

Best JBLs I ever had were these tent sale 3115s, a most excellent speaker with a midrange realism that was quite lifelike. I bi-amped them with a big hog QSC on the woofers and a Teac chip-amp on the mid-treble. I'd put these up against damned near anything including the Altec 19s that were in another room.

They sounded much better than the Altec 605s I'd previously used in that room; the 605s were fine speakers but for some reason didn't work at all in that room. In other rooms the 605s would do the big "over the shoulder" imaging trick but in this one they sounded dead and flat. But the 3115s came alive there.




visit022.jpg


visit037.jpg

jbls004.jpg
 
Last edited:
Are those a pro audio model? They don't look like a home audiophile pair of speakers. I know that QSC is a pro audio amp, along with the other rack mount gear maybe an electronic crossover. Never really like the QSC line of amps and used them quite often just because many of the music companies that I worked for used them. I preferred the Crowns or Crest Audio over the QSC's, and as far as speakers I preferred the EAW line arrays over the JBL's. But I have spoken to many people that liked the QSC's I just found them to fail more often than the Crowns or Crest amps.
 
Last edited:
You mean tubes and JBLs have complimentary flaws? ;)

Why of course!

Do you have any idea 'how long' it takes to find just the right tube amp and tubes to compliment the shortcomings of the JBLs and vice versa, there are so many to choose from--a Sysiphean task I'm afraid. lol

I am kidding here because the JBLs do sound fine with my SS amps as well.


cnh2
 
Last edited:
Are those a pro audio model? They don't look like a home audiophile pair of speakers. I know that QSC is a pro audio amp, along with the other rack mount gear maybe an electronic crossover. Never really like the QSC line of amps and used them quite often just because many of the music companies that I worked for used them. I preferred the Crowns or Crest Audio over the QSC's, and as far as speakers I preferred the EAW line arrays over the JBL's. But I have spoken to many people that liked the QSC's I just found them to fail more often than the Crowns or Crest amps.

JBL Pro Audio undergoes the same measurement and analysis as the consumer gear does. In some cases the only differences is that one system wears an Armani suit and the other has a hard hat and steel toed boots. Everything else may be identical. Both are just as accurate and very fine sounding. One is furniture and the other is rugged enough for sound reinforcement use.
 
Are those a pro audio model?

Yes. They were intended for permanent installations such as small motion picture theaters. Quite a few fellas have used them for hi-fi since the big JBL tent sale of about a dozen years ago.

Interesting design; the 15" woofer (a 2226) crosses to the horn loaded 8" cone around 350hz and then the 8 hands off to a 1" throat compression driver at about 1600 hz. So the 8" horn acts almost as a dedicated vocal range speaker. The 3115's sound is one of great authority; effortless and with great clarity.

The speaker has a passive crossover for the mid to tweeter but must be bi-amped woofer to mid.

I've heard several first rate hi-fis using QSC amps including this one Tom Danley brought to a Chicago Horn Club meeting. (And Mike Baker's in Lima Ohio. And my own. ;))

1642.jpg
 
Last edited:
I bought a pair of JLBs from a guy in a van once. Figured "$1999 list...these HAVE to be good." He wanted $600...all I had on me was $133.28. He still sold them to me. Did I do good?
 
I bought a pair of JLBs from a guy in a van once. Figured "$1999 list...these HAVE to be good." He wanted $600...all I had on me was $133.28. He still sold them to me. Did I do good?


That depends. JBL made some great speakers but they also made some I consider a waste of space.

Anyway, if you think you're getting your money's worth I reckon you are. It's for you to judge
 
Last edited:
I use a 6sn7 tube based pre-amp....

There is no doubt your experiences aren't unique. I just wanted to offer some balance so someone buying some big JBLs don't get the impression that the only way to go is to run them off tubes. Both Altecs and JBLs can sound great on SS gear, as well, and there will be many who prefer the latter.

with a Dynaco 400. Gives me slam and smooth.
 
Tom Danley. brought to a Chicago Horn Club meeting. (And Mike Baker's in Lima Ohio. And my own. ;))

1642.jpg

hhhmm... those look like a pair of his pro unities... I've heard a pair of his pro unities, outdoors even, and I was super impressed by the sound.. .. He does some amazing things.
 
Last edited:
That depends. JBL made some great speakers but they also made some I consider a waste of space.

Anyway, if you think you're getting your money's worth I reckon you are. It's for you to judge

True dat.

I once heard a fella, and his girl auditioning a pair of JBL CF-150's, being powered by the monster McIntosh MC-2600 at a less than stellar McIntosh Dealer in Chicago once.

While the MC-2600 was probably not the greatest SS Amp McIntosh made, it certainly was no slouch either. As many know, the JBL CF-150 was certainly not a no holds barred attempt by JBL, and I'll call them a "cheap version of an L-100", maybe not worse, but not better, them damn speakers took a beating from that 600wpc Amp (which actually displaces about 775wpc on a bench), and kept on kicking.

Certainly not a very refined speaker, but it sure could rock the house, with relatively clean, undistorted sound. Yep, it was colored, and the cabs must've been made from paper mache. Still, somebody with half a brain must've conjured up these el cheapo JBL's at a very reasonable price when they came out.

The funny thing about JBL's, is most were actually relatively cheap, considering the build quality, especially the drivers.

I've heard quite a few very expensive speakers, extremely high build quality, lots of work placed into pretty veneers, and finishes, only to be worthy of playing muzak in the doctor's office. Mark:smoke:
 
I bought a pair of JLBs from a guy in a van once. Figured "$1999 list...these HAVE to be good." He wanted $600...all I had on me was $133.28. He still sold them to me. Did I do good? orig posted by electronjohn


__________________did you get the JLB's from one of these guys .
JLB's good one:D
 
Last edited:
The silver-faced Marantz of the same era, in the speaker world. Overpriced - probably... Excellent - you bet! They set the bar very high in the day (like Marantz) and I thank them for it!

Unfortunately I own neither...
 
Although I only own one pair of JBLs ($2 garage sale 2500s...light in the bass dept. but excellent highs), I hold them in high regard. With 40+ years in the radio biz, I've seen studio monitors ranging from those wood Bogen paging speakers to 4311s. A lot of stations used (and still use) them...worked at one with L100s suspended from chains. A big fave among the jocks. In a studio environment...unbeatable. In a proper home installation...damn nice.
 
Yes I to would like a good pair of tube amps, and always keep my eye out for a pair. But unlike the JBL's I need a pair that have a lot of power, I am thinking a pair of Conrad Johnson Premeir Ones.
I would really like a pair of Audio Research amps, but I don't think I can afford the pairs that I like.

There you go, get a big Audio Research amp. I have heard the D-125 and it was awesome! Would easily power those Infinities.
 
Back
Top Bottom