• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JVC/ Nivico SRP-471E-3

Oh boy. I just picked one of these up at an estate sale for $10. It doesn't work. The motor mounts are shot (they turned into a puffy goo) and it either the motor or the main drive wheel makings a rubbing, almost wheezing noise. The speed is incorrect, and the return functions may or may not be working.
I'm not sure if I have the wherewithal to fix it personally, but that double idler drive is so unique I had to pick it up. Both wheels are foam, not rubber, so the isolation should be really really good. And that case is just such a looker. Odds are, I'll save my pennies and get this baby fixed up, but if anybody thinks it's a relatively easy repair, let me know. I can solder, and I have rebuilt engines, so I probably have most of the skills, but I certainly don't have the experience here. Any thoughts a) on whether the table is worth a professional repair and b) whether there's any chance of doing this on my own? Of particular interest is sourcing the motor mounts. That I can see and think I can do.
 
Please let us know if you find a source for the motor mounts. I have one of these lovely turntables, too, and the motor mounts are just puddles of goo. I cannot even tell what their original size or shape was. It would be most helpful if someone who has good mounts could post a dimensioned sketch. Note that there are two different sizes. There are 3 of one size and 4 of the other size.
Rick
 
Please let us know if you find a source for the motor mounts. I have one of these lovely turntables, too, and the motor mounts are just puddles of goo. I cannot even tell what their original size or shape was. It would be most helpful if someone who has good mounts could post a dimensioned sketch. Note that there are two different sizes. There are 3 of one size and 4 of the other size.
Rick
That was my big concern. I could mount in some fairly standard neoprene washers or something along those lines, but I don't want to mess the alignment of anything. That whole issue makes me concerned about taking it apart and getting it back together. Thoughts are appreciated. It's a sweetheart of a deck.
 
That was my big concern. I could mount in some fairly standard neoprene washers or something along those lines, but I don't want to mess the alignment of anything. That whole issue makes me concerned about taking it apart and getting it back together. Thoughts are appreciated. It's a sweetheart of a deck.


Its worth getting fixed. This deck will blow your mind. Your double idler is foam?? Can we see a picture of yours?
 
Most of the idler wheels I've seen are like a hard rubber. The bigger wheel here is like, squishy. Any vibration that makes it to that thing will be dead in a hurry.
 

Attachments

  • 1488853572987-181857183.jpg
    1488853572987-181857183.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 190
Most of the idler wheels I've seen are like a hard rubber. The bigger wheel here is like, squishy. Any vibration that makes it to that thing will be dead in a hurry.


I see. Mine looks just like that. Can we see a picture of the entire table?
 
Minor crack in the plexi, and a minor song or two in the wood, but a quick cleanup and it's a looker.
 

Attachments

  • 1488855576176-91003463.jpg
    1488855576176-91003463.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 180
Very nice indeed. You can get that part replaced. And the glass too. I got my glass piece replaced.
Would it be strange or heresy to strip the automatic functions as much as possible and run it as a manual? I've heard tale that the best turntables are manuals because all of the extra gearing just creates more rumble and rattle and resistance for the tonearm. I usually wouldn't worry about it, as I prefer the automatic functions to having to remember to lift the needle when a side runs out, but if this thing sounds as good as people seem to think it does, it might be worth the extra effort?
Also: Did anybody else get the original 45 adapter with theirs? :)
 
Would it be strange or heresy to strip the automatic functions as much as possible and run it as a manual? I've heard tale that the best turntables are manuals because all of the extra gearing just creates more rumble and rattle and resistance for the tonearm. I usually wouldn't worry about it, as I prefer the automatic functions to having to remember to lift the needle when a side runs out, but if this thing sounds as good as people seem to think it does, it might be worth the extra effort?
Also: Did anybody else get the original 45 adapter with theirs? :)


My automatic function works great and doesnt hinder performance at all. And i have the original 45 adapter with mine.
 
Back
Top Bottom