• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kanye West...the World's Greatest Rock Star

Instead of saying "I don't like rap" and leaving it at that, too many in the past have gone in to explaining it's moral bankruptcy as the reason for their dislike.

That gets my goat for a multitude of reasons but here are the main ideas. Country singers and rockers have typically made drugs, gast and loose women and crime key topics of their songs. Many have also led less than stellar lifestyles at some point. Johnny Cash for example, hopefully never killed anybody but has a lot of songs about it. He was also a confirmed drug abuser and alleged adulterer who tanked the sanctity of marriage with the divorce from his first wife and second marriage.

*But rap is a bad influence* Right.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I don't get it. I love music and if this guy is God's gift to the music world (the way he says he is), how is it that I've gone my entire life without ever having heard one of his songs? :headscrat
 
It could be your choice of radio stations, television programs, or people you hang out with. You have no direct avenue to hear his music, unless you make the decision to listen to it yourself. People rave about Brubeck, and I've never heard his music. Maybe I have heard it out in public, but it would never register with me. I'm sure it would be the same with you and Kanye. He is talented and successful. He's just happens to also be an egotistical asshole. Different strokes and all that.
 
I don't get it. I love music and if this guy is God's gift to the music world (the way he says he is), how is it that I've gone my entire life without ever having heard one of his songs? :headscrat

Here's one of my favorites. Again, I don't think he's a great guy and I wouldn't be sending his CD's to space if we were trying to preserve culture, but this track is worth hearing just to know what he's like :thmbsp::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UeniTE5D18

Edit: Here's one of the Doors samples. It's pretty clever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26BvWCTpLIQ
 
I don't get it. I love music and if this guy is God's gift to the music world (the way he says he is), how is it that I've gone my entire life without ever having heard one of his songs? :headscrat

Because you love MUSIC. What this guy makes is garbage.

Here's how you do it:

(1) Find a song people are familiar with already
(2) Program your drum machine
(3) Make that familiar song the basis of your new "song"
(4) Pile on profanity
(5) Create a line of clothing

Now you too can be a hip-hop/rap star!
 
Because you love MUSIC. What this guy makes is garbage.

Here's how you do it:

(1) Find a song people are familiar with already
(2) Program your drum machine
(3) Make that familiar song the basis of your new "song"
(4) Pile on profanity
(5) Create a line of clothing

Now you too can be a hip-hop/rap star!

Well, I think it's more akin to photography. A photographer doesn't create any of his subject, he just frames it and arranges it in a composition. It's the same ethic behind pop art and the Andy-Warhol style cut-and-paste. Take what you see and rearrange it in order to bring out an aspect that people may not have seen, or just to accentuate something. Just like comic art. That's what's great about rap and anime and a lot of other internet fueled art. It's largely paradigmatic! :banana::banana::banana:

Kanye is great because he hears things a certain way and can bring things forward.
 
Because you love MUSIC. What this guy makes is garbage.

Here's how you do it:

(1) Find a song people are familiar with already
(2) Program your drum machine
(3) Make that familiar song the basis of your new "song"
(4) Pile on profanity
(5) Create a line of clothing

Now you too can be a hip-hop/rap star!

You're right, it's so easy! Sheesh and here I am busting my hump at my day job, when all I needed to do to get rich is buy a drum machine.
 
the thing is he comes across as a punk.:boring:
if he'd simply walk around with his pants hanging down and grab his crotch like most of the rappers I could easily look over him but no-
he has to show his ass at every turn.
I'm with Dave.:smoke:
 
the thing is he comes across as a punk.:boring:
if he'd simply walk around with his pants hanging down and grab his crotch like most of the rappers I could easily look over him but no-
he has to show his ass at every turn.
I'm with Dave.:smoke:

That's fair. We're all attracted to different things. I think it's interesting that people hate him so much. I've always been attracted to the punk persona. Bit of a thrill I suppose. :butt1:

I also have lived in downtown Chicago for 5 years so my taste sometimes reflects that. My wife teaches in south-side schools and I work in a church so between the two of us we see a LOT of minority culture and values. It's something I find fascinating.
 
While rap or hip hop are not my go-to first choice, I usually enjoy hearing most of the artists in interview explaining their craft.
This guy, however I may have initially found his original candor refreshing, has long past worn out his welcome with his attitude and apparent complete lack of professional and personal perspective, whether promotional or otherwise.
To paraphrase Jack Palance, confidence is sexy, arrogance is repugnant.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:
That's fair. We're all attracted to different things. I think it's interesting that people hate him so much. I've always been attracted to the punk persona. Bit of a thrill I suppose. :butt1:

I also have lived in downtown Chicago for 5 years so my taste sometimes reflects that. My wife teaches in south-side schools and I work in a church so between the two of us we see a LOT of minority culture and values. It's something I find fascinating.

I just don't like the ego.

Old school "real" punks (in quotes because I'm probably showing my age) like Henry Rollins and Jello Biafra never acted like that.
 
I just don't like the ego.



Old school "real" punks (in quotes because I'm probably showing my age) like Henry Rollins and Jello Biafra never acted like that.


True, the real standup pillars of hardcore have stuck around primarily because of personality. But a lot of hardcore (cro mags, circle jerks, tons of straight edge bands) definitely operated on an inflated ego. Not to mention personalities like Greg Ginn and thurston Moore.

The other thing is that a lot of proto-punk and modern punk are VERY ego driven, and just as horizontal in their inspiration.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom