• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

KEF 103/3 Question...?

baco99

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
What would you pay for a set of KEF 103/3 speakers that have been painted white, including stands (also white)?
 
Register to hide this ad
Asking is 335 so your instincts are right on. I'm guess it would cost $100 just to ship them from FL to MA. Will the seller take $100??? Maybe!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
If the person is asking 335, he might be willing to take 180
Going less than half, you take a chance of him not answering you.
 
You sometime win going that way, I know I did 4 days ago, when buying a TT

Anyway, good luck, they are very nice speakers.
 
I rarely see nice ones bring more than $300. Make sure the foam donuts are good, those are a particular PITA to redo. And that the ferrofluid has not dried out and ruined the highs. And that they have a properly functioning KUBE, without which they will not work properly.

I love Kef but the 103/3, which I used to sell when new, have turned out to be a lot of trouble.
 
I rarely see nice ones bring more than $300. Make sure the foam donuts are good, those are a particular PITA to redo. And that the ferrofluid has not dried out and ruined the highs. And that they have a properly functioning KUBE, without which they will not work properly.



I love Kef but the 103/3, which I used to sell when new, have turned out to be a lot of trouble.


Thanks. Yes, very aware of the issues after redoing 2 sets of 104/2 last year.

We will have to wait and see!

Thanks all!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I rarely see nice ones bring more than $300. Make sure the foam donuts are good, those are a particular PITA to redo. And that the ferrofluid has not dried out and ruined the highs. And that they have a properly functioning KUBE, without which they will not work properly.



I love Kef but the 103/3, which I used to sell when new, have turned out to be a lot of trouble.


They're not that bad. They're easier to work on in comparison to the 104/2 and the 107.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
As the original owner of KEF 103.3s with the KUBE, I think the low prices they bring,if in good condition, are a great value. Yah, I know-the donuts- the ferrofluid-25 years old. These were $1500 when new. Many have beautiful exotic wood cabinets. Funny how the KEF 101s always sell and for nice money yet a mint pair of 103/3 is a tough sell.
Not sure about a painted pair but if there are no issues with the drivers $300 is not unrealistic.
Also, a great speaker for now while you wait for that special pair of 107s!!!
Happy listening.
Jimmy

One more thing----They will work fine without the KUBE.
 
. . .
One more thing----They will work fine without the KUBE.

I disagree - yes, they will work, but they do not sound balanced at all (very midrange strong) without the KUBE. The KUBE is a necessary part of the speaker like it is with the 102 and 107.
 
I disagree - yes, they will work, but they do not sound balanced at all (very midrange strong) without the KUBE. The KUBE is a necessary part of the speaker like it is with the 102 and 107.

:thmbsp:

And I do agree if you get a pair with good donuts, tweeters including Kube and stands for $300 they are very good value. They were well over $2000 up here IIRC.
 
:thmbsp:

And I do agree if you get a pair with good donuts, tweeters including Kube and stands for $300 they are very good value. They were well over $2000 up here IIRC.

Owners like myself realize what they are really worth and would never think about selling them,let alone for $300. The donuts and tweeters are an easy repair.
The true test of how good a speaker is how it stands the test of time. Ask a 101/102/103/104/105/107 owner about theirs.
WE ALL GET IT! GET YOURS! JOIN THE BELIEVERS!
Happy listening.
Jimmy
 
Last edited:
Dobieguy, trust me, I'm a believer. My 104/2 aren't going anywhere.

I think I might pass on these. If my wife discovers that I am speaker shopping while on vacation, she'll surely leave me. Can't afford that!

If anyone in southern FL is interested, the listing is on CL for $335 for the pair with stands. Not sure of condition of drivers but they have been painted white.

There's also a set of 104/2 listed at $250 and a bundle Q50 and Infinitesimal IV for $200. All great prices
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom