• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kef c80

Sillver79

Well-Known Member
Banned
Hi I picked a pair of C80 on a weime they sound very different to the chartwell PM400, I now understand what you guys mean when you say they are tiring to listen too.

Before I put them up for sale any recommendations ?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Hi I picked a pair of C80 on a weime they sound very different to the chartwell PM400, I now understand what you guys mean when you say they are tiring to listen too.

Before I put them up for sale any recommendations ?

Yes, replace the ferro fluid in the tweeters. They probably sound reticent in the highs and this is why.

Also, recap the crossovers. Although, this isn't going to be a cheap recap, so I would do the fluid (which is very inexpensive) and should give you a good enough glimpse of what they sounded like new and should be enough to say yay or nay to going the full monty on them.
 
Unless you want to keep them for yourself, which I would not, (I had them for a few months , very coloured speaker)

I am plus 1 with Canucker on fluid, and dont bother with the xover recap, as it will not be cheap, especially if you go for poly.

I have done both and have not benefited in any way, shape or form.

Cheers.

m

Yes, replace the ferro fluid in the tweeters. They probably sound reticent in the highs and this is why.

Also, recap the crossovers. Although, this isn't going to be a cheap recap, so I would do the fluid (which is very inexpensive) and should give you a good enough glimpse of what they sounded like new and should be enough to say yay or nay to going the full monty on them.
 
Yes, replace the ferro fluid in the tweeters. They probably sound reticent in the highs and this is why.

Also, recap the crossovers. Although, this isn't going to be a cheap recap, so I would do the fluid (which is very inexpensive) and should give you a good enough glimpse of what they sounded like new and should be enough to say yay or nay to going the full monty on them.

okay were do i find this ferro fluid? how do i do that?
 
okay were do i find this ferro fluid? how do i do that?


Partsexpress.com sells a generic ferro fluid that should do the trick.

I'm not sure how to get the tweeter out, I'm guessing it's held on by the 4 screws on the front of the tweeters faceplate. Once out, you unscrew the 4 screws by the dome and the plastic face should come off exposing just the dome and magnet.

Next, take a small flathead and very carefully pry the dome off. It is plastic so don't apply too much force. Once you have the dome off you will have access to the gap inside the magnet and the tweeters voice coil. With a q-tip carefully clean the coil of the old ferro fluid. Then, take some paper and shove it into the magnet gap to get the ferro fluid out. Keep doing this until the paper comes out almost clean (it's nearly impossible to get it all out).

Then, you take your ferro fluid and put in .1mL of ferro fluid into the magnet gap. The fluid is magnetic so it will be very easy to do. Just depress the syringe against the gap and it'll go in. Make sure not to put too much inside. If you do just wipe up the excess with paper. Then, reassemble the tweeter and pop it in. This will restore the HF response and may make the speaker enjoyable for you. Of course if the voicing of the speaker does nothing for you (as rx7rotary indicated it's a coloured sounding speaker which lines up with what I have found with Kef speakers from this era) then I would move them on. If not, then I can give you a suggestion for a cost effective recap that will bring the speaker back to factory performance without breaking the bank too much.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to ask. :thmbsp:


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top Bottom