• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Kenwood KX-1030 Worth Keeping?

Just a quick update, that’s it, Q902 is the smoking gun, it was shorted. Thanks dr*audio and everyone who has helped. It’s been a very challenging and rewarding journey for me. This is my first cassette deck troubleshooting although I have worked on vintage radio for a little while. I have to mention using an oscilloscope helped a lot tracing down where the signal got lost. Cheers.
 
Finally got back to my friend's 1030 after he bought a new motor. It's in, is working, and sounds very nice with no slowing down, thus far.

BUT, I have a problem with the the Pause button. It pauses, but doesn't lock in place. All the other controls are working fine.
 
Finally got back to my friend's 1030 after he bought a new motor. It's in, is working, and sounds very nice with no slowing down, thus far.

BUT, I have a problem with the the Pause button. It pauses, but doesn't lock in place. All the other controls are working fine.
I never had that happen. You are going to have to look at the mechanism carefully and determine the cause. It may be something you did while working on it. A spring out of place is my guess.
 
Yeah, I'll open it up and see why the Pause doesn't engage.

I know there's a motor adjustment for speed, but I need to get my hands on a frequency tape. So working on that as well.
 
Mine has developed a small problem. The peak light comes on frequently, even when the signal is nowhere near saturation.
 
I must comment on how beautiful that Kenwood stack is, and the overall classy installation. Enjoy it, friend and in good health.
Classy installation???? That is a home made light box to assist in Photography I do classy installations to equipment that is used in the main system, which the Kenwood would not 20200403_075809.jpg be considered. Doesn't stop me from liking them
 
Managed to adjust the motor to within fractions of a Hz of the test tape. :thumbsup:

Something is still keeping the Pause button from locking.:thumbsdown: :idea:
All the springs are in place, and all the other controls are working as they should. Pause actually pauses as long and you press the button down, but it doesn't click into place. It's like something is blocking it, but I don't see what that is.

When you hit the pause button it moves the lever marked #1 at the bottom of the shot. Lever #1 hits the gold arm marked #2 and moves it up in the photo, stretching the spring just to the right. See next photo.
KenwoodKX-1030B.JPG

At the same time the gold arm above moves in, the part marked X below moves up and moves the arm drawn in with dashes so the white plastic piece moves toward camera. I'm wondering if that piece should be on the other side of the part marked X below, and move back, away from camera. The white plastic end-piece can be see in the photo above with the unmarked arrow pointing at it from the left.
KenwoodKX-1030.JPG
 
My solution to a static problem (from another Kenwood KX-1030 thread):

The channels will develop more static over time...I fixed one channel and then had to do the 2nd channel after static appeared there. I don't recall if it was in that link, but a fellow orger stated that Kenwood used inferior caps for C27, C28, C89 and C90, and that they'd all need to be replaced at some point. Changing these absolutely worked for me.

I don't have an easy link but I did save the original bag the caps came in. I may have gotten these from Mouser or Parts Express...I don't recall.
It lists:
MLR273K50
CAP-MYLAR .027MF 50V
QTY 6
S/O 87341

Are these the caps you mentioned So if i try to change mine ?. https://www.ntepartsdirect.com/ENG/PRODUCT/MLR273K50
 
Well i decided to try and replace the caps that i got from NTE,, they were visually different looking than others i seen posted but specs showed correct... I have never done this type of repair of replacing caps but i gave it a shot... And sweet its playing and no noise out of either channel... :)
But its gonna bother me that the caps visually looked different than what ive seen others install.
 
Last edited:
Here is pic of caps i took out and what i put back in.... Since im new to this type of repair i hope someone can ease my mind that these are ok that i used
 

Attachments

  • caps.jpg
    caps.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 47
  • caps2.jpg
    caps2.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 44
I've purchased a new motor for my KX-1030. The motor has integrated speed control. Do I need to bypass a pot or doe the Kenwood not have a board mounted mechanism for adjusting voltage to the motor?
 
I've purchased a new motor for my KX-1030. The motor has integrated speed control. Do I need to bypass a pot or doe the Kenwood not have a board mounted mechanism for adjusting voltage to the motor?
I just restored a KX-1030. The original motor has a speed adjustment pot inside. Just connect the new one to the 2 power wires.
 
I've purchased a new motor for my KX-1030. The motor has integrated speed control. Do I need to bypass a pot or doe the Kenwood not have a board mounted mechanism for adjusting voltage to the motor?

Since you bought new motor , and im assuming same stock style like i did.,, Just adjust the speed thu the small hole on the backside of motor.
I orig tried and tried countless stock used motors and it was all a waste of time as these speed controls that are built onto the back side of the motor are just worn out now with age and the heat from motor... I even tried taking the speed control part from one and mounting it elsewhere in the deck for cooling , and then added a new motor from other brand deck that doesnt have a built in adjustment and even that did not work.... It seems the motors are not the culprit on these decks that go bad , and its just the speed control just go bad for age and heat.
Here is pic where i tried mounting the speed control in different location and used other NEW motor,, but it didnt keep good speed as speed control was culprit... Also i was gonna attempt to recap the speed control, but decided to pay the inflated price on a New stock replacement motor assembly
 

Attachments

  • 20210912_123022_LI.jpg
    20210912_123022_LI.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210912_123038_LI.jpg.0acd20ab25894d8d66258a4ced007d7a.jpg
    20210912_123038_LI.jpg.0acd20ab25894d8d66258a4ced007d7a.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210912_123311.jpg
    20210912_123311.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 32
  • best motor pic.jpg
    best motor pic.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom