• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Klipsch RF-3 or Forte II

I know it is a bit non-conventional but if you can find a pair of RP3's or RP5', both are good speakers with built in subs. They have a fairly small foot print and are tall in the way 'modern' floor standers tend to be.

I saw a pair of RP3's I believe on Craiglist for Dallas. Did not know what they were. I will send the seller a inquiry on these. Thanks.
 
There's a pair on CL for $400, and some Chorus IIs for $900 which seems high. Gear in Austin tends to be overpriced. I might keep looking a while, I'm sure I'll find some at a good price.

The ad for the $400 pair of Fortes is no longer valid. The seller is the gentleman I purchased my Fortes from. He just has not deleted the ad yet. I contacted the guy on the Chorus speakers but he was a bit of a uptight prick.(excuse my language)

He refused to budge on the price though he put "obo" in his ad. I also told him via text that the Chorus speakers routinely go for $500-$600 in the Craigslist market. No one is paying near retail for this speaker. But he was steadfast about his asking price.
 
Don't pay attention to HSG . Completely uninformed and truly a liability around here .

Thanks for the advice. I try to avoid the grumpy old men on various audio sites as to not get involved in any E-arguments. I definitely know to avoid his responses from here on.
 
Geez you guys is this back and forth really worth it? You too zebra why stir the pot. There might actually be some members trying to learn something and all the petty bickering doesn't help anyone.

As far as the Fortes go I'm really surprised they are lacking in bass for diamond. Most everyone knows I'm a Klipsch fan although Fortes happen to be one of my least favorites. Why? Well, I dislike the bass which I find to be boomy. Funny how we all hear things differently.

Diamond, did you have a chance to listen to your Fortes in another room besides your bedroom? I'm just wondering if something in that particular room was causing the limited bass response?

cubdog
 
Geez you guys is this back and forth really worth it? You too zebra why stir the pot. There might actually be some members trying to learn something and all the petty bickering doesn't help anyone.

As far as the Fortes go I'm really surprised they are lacking in bass for diamond. Most everyone knows I'm a Klipsch fan although Fortes happen to be one of my least favorites. Why? Well, I dislike the bass which I find to be boomy. Funny how we all hear things differently.

Diamond, did you have a chance to listen to your Fortes in another room besides your bedroom? I'm just wondering if something in that particular room was causing the limited bass response?

cubdog

Yes sir I tried the Fortes in my living room as well which has vaulted ceilings. Same thing. Bass sounded very neutral to me. Not bad by an stretch of the imagination. And lacking would probably be too strong of a term. I just felt they did not meet my expectations for acceptable bass without a sub. But I'm used to alot of bass at all volume levels from my other setups so that has skewed my expectations a bit.

I'm gonna try a few more Klipsch vintage models. And if the bass is still not to my liking, I might just just deal with it and get a small sub.

As for that Harley guy, I apologize for the bickering. But it is hard for a guy with the level of gear I have tested in front of hundreds in regional get togethers to take condesending comments from a guy with value first, basic diy type gear wowing a few guys at a time with no competition to speak of in a man cave.
 
Last edited:
curious to know if your issues with the Forte ll bass was with level or with the extension or with both? You can if the opportunity ever arrises again lower the bass response of a Forte or Forte ll simply by installing 2.5 ounces of dead weight onto the centre of the inside of the passive. They will then play down into the upper twenties nicely. Some quality damping material in the top section of the cabinet above the woofer will also help but not poly or dacron you need damping material like high density fiberglass. Owens Corning 700 series is the best available. Best regards Moray James.

PS: lots of other mods that can be done as well if the itch needs a scratch.
 
Geez you guys is this back and forth really worth it? You too zebra why stir the pot. There might actually be some members trying to learn something and all the petty bickering doesn't help anyone.

As far as the Fortes go I'm really surprised they are lacking in bass for diamond. Most everyone knows I'm a Klipsch fan although Fortes happen to be one of my least favorites. Why? Well, I dislike the bass which I find to be boomy. Funny how we all hear things differently.

Diamond, did you have a chance to listen to your Fortes in another room besides your bedroom? I'm just wondering if something in that particular room was causing the limited bass response?

cubdog

Not stirring a thing .
 
The ad for the $400 pair of Fortes is no longer valid. The seller is the gentleman I purchased my Fortes from. He just has not deleted the ad yet. I contacted the guy on the Chorus speakers but he was a bit of a uptight prick.(excuse my language)

He refused to budge on the price though he put "obo" in his ad. I also told him via text that the Chorus speakers routinely go for $500-$600 in the Craigslist market. No one is paying near retail for this speaker. But he was steadfast about his asking price.

That explains why I haven't heard back. The $900 Chorus II's look really nice, they are on the high end but I can see how someone might not want to drop them 30-40% right off the bat. I might wait a bit and see if he drops his price, if not I'm sure some others would show up. I see the Forte and Chorus varieties quite a bit. What really surprises me is the wide range on Heresy speakers, some people want way too much for these. I think $300-400 is probably the top end depending on if the risers are there and if any x-ver upgrades have been done.
 
That explains why I haven't heard back. The $900 Chorus II's look really nice, they are on the high end but I can see how someone might not want to drop them 30-40% right off the bat. I might wait a bit and see if he drops his price, if not I'm sure some others would show up. I see the Forte and Chorus varieties quite a bit. What really surprises me is the wide range on Heresy speakers, some people want way too much for these. I think $300-400 is probably the top end depending on if the risers are there and if any x-ver upgrades have been done.

There are some fortes near Houston for $500. Im currently waiting on a pair of Chrous ii's for six hundred or less for my next Klipsch audition.
 
There are some fortes near Houston for $500. Im currently waiting on a pair of Chrous ii's for six hundred or less for my next Klipsch audition.

Skip it. If you didn't like the bass from the ForteII's, then you'll not be happy with the Chorus.

I do have ForteII and ChorusII and I like the Fortes just a little better but both are great speakers for me.

SQ out of both speakers improved considerably with a full Crites XO and Ti tweet install.

But then again, this probably qualifies as lowly DIY, in my house, with no competition, so my opinion is suspect. :)
 
Skip it. If you didn't like the bass from the ForteII's, then you'll not be happy with the Chorus.

I do have ForteII and ChorusII and I like the Fortes just a little better but both are great speakers for me.

SQ out of both speakers improved considerably with a full Crites XO and Ti tweet install.

But then again, this probably qualifies as lowly DIY, in my house, with no competition, so my opinion is suspect. :)

Thank you for your opinion. I was hoping the bigger soundstage from the Chorus ii would make up for the lack of extension. I want to at least hear a pair. But now I am beginning to regret selling the forte ii's so quickly. I definitely should have paired them with a sub before making my final decision.

Also I apologize if my earlier comment towards that grumpy guy was in any way offensive to you. I love gear of all types without prejudice. However I was being honest. That guy insulting my gear is comparable to a guy in a Nissan Altima berating a Mercedes owner about their purchase decision.
 
Last edited:
Mr. Diamond, seems like you've calmed down a bit. You may notice in the heading of Audio Karma a couple of words: All Audio, No Attitude.

Most of us abide by this. Other forums you may have used were not like this one, I can assure you. Most of us get along but some AKers will frost your ass. I try to avoid confrontations.

With your experience you can be a very valuable asset to AK. Now, 'Welcome, my friend' I extend my hand. :yes:
 
Mr. Diamond, seems like you've calmed down a bit. You may notice in the heading of Audio Karma a couple of words: All Audio, No Attitude.

Most of us abide by this. Other forums you may have used were not like this one, I can assure you. Most of us get along but some AKers will frost your ass. I try to avoid confrontations.

With your experience you can be a very valuable asset to AK. Now, 'Welcome, my friend' I extend my hand. :yes:

Understood. I definitely would like to help, learn and discuss rather than merely brag. Hence why I do not have any of my equipment listed in my sig.
 
I don't often recommend gear that I own. However I might as well in this case. If you should happen upon a pair of Epic CF3 or CF4 you might want to try them. I like mine a lot better than any Fortes I've listened to and I have never found them wanting in bass. That said, I think you like more bass than I so I'm just speculating here.

FWIW, I've owned KG4s, Cornwalls, RF7IIs and now CF3s of which I have 3 pair.

cubdog
 
I don't often recommend gear that I own. However I might as well in this case. If you should happen upon a pair of Epic CF3 or CF4 you might want to try them. I like mine a lot better than any Fortes I've listened to and I have never found them wanting in bass. That said, I think you like more bass than I so I'm just speculating here.

FWIW, I've owned KG4s, Cornwalls, RF7IIs and now CF3s of which I have 3 pair.

cubdog


Im definitely on the hunt for a pair of CF 3 or CF 4 speakers. Their configuration looks very similar to my Yorkville U215s. So far Ive only seen a pair of CF 1 speakers in Dallas.
 
Last edited:
That guy insulting my gear is comparable to a guy in a Nissan Altima berating a Mercedes owner about their purchase decision.

Ok, you won't shut yer pie hole.

You have no idea what I own, or have owned. I didn't insult your "gear", just your choice of a "pro" amp.

I could go into a laundry list of some well regarded equipment that has come through my room. No, I have never been involved in an "audio competition" (rolls eyes), but what does that really mean? Sheesh.

The above comment sounds as though it is you who is insulting someone, and you just keep doing it in every post.

Your best bet is just not to respond to this.
 
Ok, you won't shut yer pie hole.

You have no idea what I own, or have owned. I didn't insult your "gear", just your choice of a "pro" amp.

I could go into a laundry list of some well regarded equipment that has come through my room. No, I have never been involved in an "audio competition" (rolls eyes), but what does that really mean? Sheesh.

The above comment sounds as though it is you who is insulting someone, and you just keep doing it in every post.

Your best bet is just not to respond to this.

If you have never been to any regional or national get togethers or any documented double blind listening tests then you are inflammatory comments are untested, unfounded, and just plain hearsay. But maybe you are the only man ever in a double blind listening test who could point out a tube amp per say amongst multiple Class A, Class A/B, Class D etc of all price ranges from including crown. Given each amp is level matched to the same set of speakers.

Out of thousands upon thousands of audiophile applicants, no one has ever been able to do it. But maybe your the one Neo. Good luck with your warm sounding receiver, sparkly sounding tube amps, and whatever other unfounded audio mythology you embrace.
 
Last edited:
Ahh, the real agenda rears it's ugly head.

You are a "all amps, cables, etc. sound the same guy".....

I embrace the enjoyment of music. Not the stress and frustration of blind listening tests. There are real differences in ALL equipment.

You keep reading oscilloscopes and test measurements. I will buy what I want according to what sounds the best. Long term enjoyment is what I think most people around here are after. And I would venture to say that most (but not all) agree with my subjectivist thinking.
 
Back
Top Bottom