• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Large Advent (original Advent speakers) good price for $100?

audiodogster

Active Member
I was looking on Craigslist and ran across a guy selling some of the original speakers Advent made, the Large Advent, for $100. Is that a good price for these? Are they worth going after?
 
Register to hide this ad
All depends on the condition of the drivers and what cab. style. If the woofers need to be re-foamed and they're the utility cabenets, than $100 is not good.
 
You'll drop $25 or so on a foam kit, so plan on that.
Yes they are worth going after but $100 seems too much unless they're perfect. For comaprison, I found mine at the dump.
Many will tell you there are numerous speakers out there that are better and they're right, but I think everyone needs a pair at least once during their audio collecting career.
 
A while back I sold 2 pair of properly re-foamed OLAs in the utility cabinets, in excellent condition. $200 and the buyer was very happy with the deal, so 100 for a single pair is good if the condition is up to snuff and the foam has been recently refreshed.

I also agree that every audio collector should have a pair of Large Advents at least once. If you have 2 pair, and 100 watts or more to drive them, that is indeed a bonus. :)

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/...s-as-reviewed-by-the-absolute-sound-magazine/
 
The foam looks fine in the pictures but that obviously doesn't mean much. They need new grill cloth. Walnut veneer looks to be in good shape.
 
Even if $100 is at the top end of value I'd say it's worth the the effort. If they are walnut that ups the value.
$25 for foam surrounds and if you do it yourself, just the time you put in. If you never have done it then it's time
to start.(youtube is your friend) With all drivers working(don't buy them if they are not) you will have a great set of speakers.
 
I bought a nice recently refoamed set for $100 last year. I was up against a timeline for a gift for a friend, but I thought it was a reasonable price just the same.
 
I've decided against them, one person on Reddit identified they were probably the vinyl cabinets rather than walnut. I've got a pair of Prodigy IIs that I need to refoam anyway.
 
Are these in Georgia? If so, I would be wary of the seller. I contacted him and he didn't want to give me his address to pick them up. He wanted to meet somewhere and didn't want to let me test them to make sure they worked so I passed.
 
Back
Top Bottom