• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Lava Lamps

I got my first today!

I found this at a Goodwill near my job. I'm in the club now :banana:

104_1279-M.jpg


104_1266-L.jpg
 
^^^Super cool looking lamp, though I am always afraid of putting one directly on top of an electronic component.^^^
 
For those who live close to a Menards store, lava lamps are on sale next week for $6.99 and there's a $2.00 rebate available. After buying a stamp it's only a $1.50 profit, but if you buy more than one lamp you'll get $2.00 store rebate for each.
 
For those who live close to a Menards store, lava lamps are on sale next week for $6.99 and there's a $2.00 rebate available. After buying a stamp it's only a $1.50 profit, but if you buy more than one lamp you'll get $2.00 store rebate for each.

I picked up a 17" for $11.00 and one of the 11.5" $6.99 for my son. The small one for my son had no bulb or top cap. Looks like I will be calling about that Monday morning.

I wish I could figure out the color balance with shooting these. The wax is a bright red not pink.

IMG_20141206_200911_736.jpg
 
Last edited:
For those who live close to a Menards store, lava lamps are on sale next week for $6.99 and there's a $2.00 rebate available. After buying a stamp it's only a $1.50 profit, but if you buy more than one lamp you'll get $2.00 store rebate for each.

Do they have a website and is that orderable online with same terms?
 
I do see a "ship to home" option on the website (I Googled Lava Lamps at Menards), not sure how doing the rebate would work as rebate slips are picked up after checkout in the store. Also, shipping cost may wipe out the savings of the sale price and rebate.
Menards is similar to a Lowes or Home Depot.
Well, it's nicer than a Home Depot.
 
Yeah, the Menard's "Original" Lava Lamp, you know, the "original." Bah. Three months out of the box, one big clump of goo at the bottom. No more lava. Original bulb.

Youngest daughter's half-size lava lamp. Brand X China, bought at Wal-Mart. $5. Two years latter of interittent use, still works, original bulb and still has lava.

No more Lava Lamps for me. I'm going for the plastic fish and glitter ones. :thmbsp:
 
Yeah, the Menard's "Original" Lava Lamp, you know, the "original." Bah. Three months out of the box, one big clump of goo at the bottom. No more lava. Original bulb.

Youngest daughter's half-size lava lamp. Brand X China, bought at Wal-Mart. $5. Two years latter of interittent use, still works, original bulb and still has lava.

No more Lava Lamps for me. I'm going for the plastic fish and glitter ones. :thmbsp:

After reading this I decided to check my Menards "original" Lava Lamp.
Bought it 3 or 4 years ago, haven't turned it on for maybe a couple years.
It's taken a while, close to two hours, with a big lump laying in the bottom initially, but now it's working fine.
For a bit I thought maybe mine had met the same fate as yours. Just needed some time to get warm enough to work properly, possibly from sitting unused for so long.
It's important that the coiled metal spring deal is on the bottom of the glass next to the light bulb. If that coil isn't in the right spot the lava won't do it's thing.
 
Now you have me thinking. I don't remember any coiled spring in the tube o' light. Just a bulb, the glass liquid container and the socket. Hmmm.
 
Now you have me thinking. I don't remember any coiled spring in the tube o' light. Just a bulb, the glass liquid container and the socket. Hmmm.

It's possible the the "blob ate the spring"...seriously.
The spring could be inside the blob.
As long as the glass was never opened (and the spring/coil) was put in at the factory it has to be in there somewhere.
It did take mine a long time to get going today but it's working like new now.
 
After reading this I decided to check my Menards "original" Lava Lamp.
Bought it 3 or 4 years ago, haven't turned it on for maybe a couple years.
It's taken a while, close to two hours, with a big lump laying in the bottom initially, but now it's working fine.
For a bit I thought maybe mine had met the same fate as yours. Just needed some time to get warm enough to work properly, possibly from sitting unused for so long.
It's important that the coiled metal spring deal is on the bottom of the glass next to the light bulb. If that coil isn't in the right spot the lava won't do it's thing.

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that spring!
 
I picked up one of the 11.5" $6.99 for my son. The small one for my son had no bulb or top cap. Looks like I will be calling about that Monday morning.

I called and emailed this morning and already have a replacement bulb and top cap on the way.
 
Back
Top Bottom