• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Leave my preamp on or unplug?

Gleach

New Member
I bought a preamp but it has no off button is it okay to leave it on or should I unplug it when I'm not using it?
 
Register to hide this ad
Some preamps are meant to stay on 24/7, and I think it's safe to do so as long as you replace capacitors in the power supply and whatnot if it's an older unit. If you go away for long periods of time, it's a good idea to unplug it, but otherwise, it's probably OK to just let it be. My Superphon Revelation preamp had no power switch (just one marked MUTE/PLAY), and it had no problem being left plugged in all the time, and while the filter capacitors did eventually fail, nothing ever actually blew up inside it or anything like that.
-Adam
 
Last edited:
What's the preamp? If it's valve, the tubes will have a much shorter life.

My (solid state) power amp didn't come with a power button, but with the exorbitant increases in electricity over here I had a power button installed. I now have to plan my listening in advance, as it takes about an hour to warm up so the audio's stable and musical.
 
My casual listening systems consist of Echo Dot (voice controlled music streaming) preamp (always on) and auto-on power amp. This was my attempt to limit wasted power while not playing music.
 
I don't think 10 to `15 watts is going to break the bank, its like leaving a single LED 8 watt, 60 watt equivalent lamp on all night on the porch. As for tube pre-amps Ampex did studies back in the 60's and 12 AX& could easily go 100,000 hours if l;ect on continuously. It was the cycling on and off they really shorted their lives. Thats why Mcintosh and others use to install thermistors on their pre=amps and smaller amps to prevent the initial surge of electricity from shocking the tube shortening the life of the tube. More advanced SS designs most certainly have a longer life span.
 
If your electricity is stable it probably doesn't matter. Here we get the flickers pretty often meaning my gear is never left on if I'm not using it.
 
Back
Top Bottom