• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Let's mod a PL-41 !

The PL-41A arm is more sophisticated than the PL-41. Anti-skate and VTA on the fly. I wonder what the difference in sound equates to? Tromatic also rolls with a Denon DL-103, the cart that I have always thought would be a nice match.

Nice deck, Tromatic!

No VTA on the fly, though. The black dial is the anti-skate. You can adjust the VTA by moving the arm up or down in it's mount.
 
Still trying to stick to the whole idea of this being a budget project, I passed on a Mission 774 that went for $198! In part because I also don't like the idea of fussy/finicky. The stock PL-41 is anything but, & I don't want to lose that...
 
Hello guys!
Well I have mounted the Denon 103 on the PL-41 and so far 1 album side into it Im liking what I hear. Compared to the Shure the Bass is there but quite a bit more under controll. So I have some listening to do for the next few days.
Mark, I also have an EMPIRE 208, never had the Denon on the Empire, but have had the Shure, the Pioneer is a little bass heavy compared to the Empire but from bass on up they are similar. Im remembering the Empire being a little bit hotter but very clean and clear.

bob
 
Hello guys!
Well I have mounted the Denon 103 on the PL-41 and so far 1 album side into it Im liking what I hear. Compared to the Shure the Bass is there but quite a bit more under controll. So I have some listening to do for the next few days.
Mark, I also have an EMPIRE 208, never had the Denon on the Empire, but have had the Shure, the Pioneer is a little bass heavy compared to the Empire but from bass on up they are similar. Im remembering the Empire being a little bit hotter but very clean and clear.

bob

Thanks for the review. Tromatic swears by the 103 on his also. You should see how the 103 compares on the Empire. I still think the PL-41 needs a better arm to compete with the big boys.
 
Thanks for the review. Tromatic swears by the 103 on his also. You should see how the 103 compares on the Empire. I still think the PL-41 needs a better arm to compete with the big boys.

The PL-41's seem to me to be a clone of the Empires, and mechanically are very fine machines. The arm is the weakness. If there were a way to upgrade (other than a suitable drop-in sub) I'd love to mod it. I hate vintage gear butchers, though, and love mine the way it is.

Maybe it's time to look for a wrecked 41 and hack away. Bummer that the secret is out!
 
Hello guys!
Well I have mounted the Denon 103 on the PL-41 and so far 1 album side into it Im liking what I hear. Compared to the Shure the Bass is there but quite a bit more under controll. So I have some listening to do for the next few days.
Mark, I also have an EMPIRE 208, never had the Denon on the Empire, but have had the Shure, the Pioneer is a little bass heavy compared to the Empire but from bass on up they are similar. Im remembering the Empire being a little bit hotter but very clean and clear.

bob

I think PRaT is a bit goofy, but the PL-41 and the 103 seem to do that very well. The Pioneer has a sense of serious orbital mechanics that just rolls along. A better arm would 'lift that veil', 'drop that jaw' and reveal that the first-chair oboe has COPD.

It's just a very nice combination, as is. Love mine!
 
The PL-41's seem to me to be a clone of the Empires, and mechanically are very fine machines. The arm is the weakness. If there were a way to upgrade (other than a suitable drop-in sub) I'd love to mod it. I hate vintage gear butchers, though, and love mine the way it is.

Maybe it's time to look for a wrecked 41 and hack away. Bummer that the secret is out!


I hear you about not hacking into the body but if done well and classy, it could actually benefit the table by offering flexability to it.

I feel the Thorens TD-124 wouldn't be the hit it is if not for the fact you can run numerous arm boards on it.

A quality job done on the PL-41 could in fact increase value along with that flexability.

Of course, this means a neat approach, and not a hacking of the unit.
 
Hello guys!
Well I have mounted the Denon 103 on the PL-41 and so far 1 album side into it Im liking what I hear. Compared to the Shure the Bass is there but quite a bit more under controll. So I have some listening to do for the next few days.
Mark, I also have an EMPIRE 208, never had the Denon on the Empire, but have had the Shure, the Pioneer is a little bass heavy compared to the Empire but from bass on up they are similar. Im remembering the Empire being a little bit hotter but very clean and clear.

bob

The 103 works very well on an Empire 208, it's a wonderful combination using the stock arm.
 
I hear you about not hacking into the body but if done well and classy, it could actually benefit the table by offering flexability to it.

I feel the Thorens TD-124 wouldn't be the hit it is if not for the fact you can run numerous arm boards on it.

A quality job done on the PL-41 could in fact increase value along with that flexability.

Of course, this means a neat approach, and not a hacking of the unit.

I am willing to hack if I know that what I am doing will work. I just need the right arm to do it. Enlarge a hole, no problem. If I need a raised platform, I can do that also. Tell me what would be a great upgrade to the stock arm that is affordable and will make the install feasable.
 
I am willing to hack if I know that what I am doing will work. I just need the right arm to do it. Enlarge a hole, no problem. If I need a raised platform, I can do that also. Tell me what would be a great upgrade to the stock arm that is affordable and will make the install feasable.

What is "affordable" to you?

I have thoughts on this, and glad to discuss...
 
And so, two roads diverged in the woods.

I, by nature a thrifty New Englander ( read "tightwad"), chose the path of the $200 or less tonearm.

Mark, other the other hand, chose the path of the $500 tonearm.

And we'll see where we each end up...
 
And so, two roads diverged in the woods.

I, by nature a thrifty New Englander ( read "tightwad"), chose the path of the $200 or less tonearm.

Mark, other the other hand, chose the path of the $500 tonearm.

And we'll see where we each end up...

Rob, I am equally thrifty by nature and said "up to" $500. It will have to be a perfect storm for me to pay 5 biils.:D

I am always willing to listen to Delihaus.
 
I am always willing to listen to Delihaus.

Absolutely! The man knows his stuff. We discussed a couple of arms the other day - & he's got a couple of good ones that I think you just might bite on.
I'm being unusually strict with myself on this project, though. I really hope to pull off a sub $200 miracle. We'll see....

I have noted 1 minor note of PL-41 pricing sanity. A very clean unit with a BIN of $349 just went with no takers.

Something we haven't discussed in this thread yet is plinth mods. I've been pondering what invisible modifications I might make.
 
Absolutely! The man knows his stuff. We discussed a couple of arms the other day - & he's got a couple of good ones that I think you just might bite on.
I'm being unusually strict with myself on this project, though. I really hope to pull off a sub $200 miracle. We'll see....

I have noted 1 minor note of PL-41 pricing sanity. A very clean unit with a BIN of $349 just went with no takers.

Something we haven't discussed in this thread yet is plinth mods. I've been pondering what invisible modifications I might make.

My plinth is lined with cork. Provides a dampening effect. I also have dampening foam on the base piece. I have heard of using dynamat underneath the metal base. Might try that someday. I also have cardas 33 awg tonearm wire and custom RCA's. All were nice improvements, but the high quality arm should provide the most bang.
 
Back
Top Bottom