• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Lets see all them Amplifiers!

Was the tiny Vox SS?

Was solid state. :thumbsup:

Yes, mine was also Solidstate, even if it's an older model : VOX Escort (early 70s).
The circuit was damaged so I took the occasion to convert it to ElectronTubes :

WwsAIb-VOX-Escort-Before-After.jpg


cxsAIb-AC3TB-vs-AC30TB.jpg


I let you appreciate the tone of that little VOX AC3 Top Boost, here played by a pal, with a Fender Stratocaster. NO effects used :


T
 
Yes, mine was also Solidstate, even if it's an older model : VOX Escort (early 70s).
The circuit was damaged so I took the occasion to convert it to ElectronTubes :

WwsAIb-VOX-Escort-Before-After.jpg


cxsAIb-AC3TB-vs-AC30TB.jpg


I let you appreciate the tone of that little VOX AC3 Top Boost, here played by a pal, with a Fender Stratocaster. NO effects used :


T
Was the wire mesh on the back part of the original amp cabinet or did you add it on? I've been looking for some for my amp.
 
Was the wire mesh on the back part of the original amp cabinet or did you add it on? I've been looking for some for my amp.

No @valvenator : it was not an original feature. The two rear panels closed all the back of the amp (it was Solid State). I cut one of the panels to vent the back and the tubes, and added that metal grill mesh (in French : métal déployé).

This product is commonly available in DIY stores here in France, in different sizes, mesh and thickness, in Aluminium or Steel. Here, it's a black Steel, thickness 2.5mm.

I used the same grid material on these DIY amps below - simply glued or more often glued plus screwed to the back panel :

From small...

19102104160525019416472332.jpg

19102104160125019416472331.jpg

TQqRIb-IMG-3235.jpg


... To large :

9erMJb-P1100129.jpg

2erMJb-P1100134.jpg


T
 
No @valvenator : it was not an original feature. The two rear panels closed all the back of the amp (it was Solid State). I cut one of the panels to vent the back and the tubes, and added that metal grill mesh (in French : métal déployé).

This product is commonly available in DIY stores here in France, in different sizes, mesh and thickness, in Aluminium or Steel. Here, it's a black Steel, thickness 2.5mm.

I used the same grid material on these DIY amps below - simply glued or more often glued plus screwed to the back panel :

From small...

19102104160525019416472332.jpg

19102104160125019416472331.jpg
This one is just too adorable for words!
 
Thanls @valvenator !

Despite its very small size, the Radio-Tone is nonetheless a fully playable and standalone unit... Even if by now, it is used as a card displayer in a local music shop, for my little part-time amp repair business...

mini_OL3SKb-P1110380.jpg
19101706520225019416468013.jpg


For those who are interested, here's the complete schematic - the power output is circa 2WRMS at onset of clipping :

vE8CIb-308860radiotoneschem15052015.jpg


T
 
Are you telling me there's only one tube doing all the dirty work? Brother, that's amazing!

Yes, that's it : only one ECL86 / 6GW8. Here's a small sample of that amp, played with a Squier Std Strat, with a touch of external reverb (EHX Cathedral) :


My design is inspired from the MagnaTone model 411 amplifier, with some modifications, notably the removal of the tremolo section :

index.php

T
 
Yes, that's it : only one ECL86 / 6GW8. Here's a small sample of that amp, played with a Squier Std Strat, with a touch of external reverb (EHX Cathedral) :


My design is inspired from the MagnaTone model 411 amplifier, with some modifications, notably the removal of the tremolo section :

index.php

T
That is a lovely balance between bass-mids-treble with a perfect amount of grit. Love it!
 
As treat for you guys here's a couple . Probably the rarest production amps out there, less that 70 built. For sure THE rarest amp I've ever owned. This image hasn't ever been posted. #32 on the Rt and #46 on the left.
I've often been asked what it sounded like, one of the questions I avoid answering since no 2 people hear the same thing, but here's what I can up with: If a properly tapped, and poured, Guinness Stout had a sound it would be this amp.
Was it my favorite? probably not.
 
Hey Guys been away for a bit this is a very cool thread...
My standard rig for gigs is a pair of Fender Pro Jr's, sometimes a pair of series 4's and sometimes a pair of American Made blondes from 1997.
Guitars, usually a Gretsch Jet or a Les Paul 59 R or a 2005 American Std.Tele.
Some pics and a link to video from this past Saturday. Mrs FOH seldom comes to gigs 50 or more miles from home but she did Saturday , on the far left.
FB_IMG_1762772633304.jpgFB_IMG_1762796055596.jpgScreenshot_20251108_231248_Facebook.jpg

Solo section from Two Tickets To Paradise...Jetty Dock Bar Kent Narrows Md. on the water

 
Back
Top Bottom