• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Let's See Your Great JVC Gear!

So i got another project. Where would it be appropiate to post progress?
 

Attachments

  • Polish_20220606_204903899.jpg
    Polish_20220606_204903899.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Polish_20220606_204713400.jpg
    Polish_20220606_204713400.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 42
Jake the Victory Cat has passed away from feline distemper. He was vaccinated the day he showed up but was in the incubation period and I didn't know it until after the diagnosis. I had to bury him this morning
I'm sorry to hear about Jake. It's always difficult when a loved one passes away. Condolences
 
IMG_4180.jpg IMG_4182.jpg
Picked this up at a Yard Sale. Don't know anything about where it falls in the whole quality of JVC turntable
hierarchy, so
I put it out on table under the deck to clean up and test to see if even works, plus dug out my Marantz 2230 for
phono output.
Got lucky, it fired right up, plays well. Didn't adjust anything.
 
Jvc s201 progress (slowly)
Complete teardown was needed.

This is my first real restoration attempt , so any hint , tips are welcome.
 

Attachments

  • Polish_20220616_120350200.png
    Polish_20220616_120350200.png
    862.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Polish_20220616_120047300.png
    Polish_20220616_120047300.png
    895.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Polish_20220616_121329436.png
    Polish_20220616_121329436.png
    1,015.4 KB · Views: 19
Might I ask why? I never got the idea behind it, but they sure consequently did place the tape loader on the right.
 
Might I ask why? I never got the idea behind it, but they sure consequently did place the tape loader on the right.
Me, being righthanded, along with the majority, seems like the right side makes more sense. That's just my opinion though. Some like it because its different than most.
 
Ah, that would also explain why I didn't get it, being left-handed and all. It is quite rare I tell you, that the standard configuration of a anything favours the left-handed.
 
Always liked the reverse JVC cassette layout
Me too. They screwed up when they released CD players. They should have put the tray on the right side too. Well not really, because when a cassette deck and CD Player are stacked, it's easier to access either one.

JVC always tried to make their gear a little different looking than other companies. For example my HR-D470U Hi-Fi VCR. It loads the tape longways on the right side. I recently got mine working again after being broken for several years. It was a bad capacitor. This one is not mine but a picture I swiped from the internets..

image_2022-06-19_093544263.png
 
Last edited:
That's neat! Of course, being left handed by nature in a world equipped for right handedness, one adapts in to a kind of hybrid. For instance I do my handwriting on the left, and the computer mouse on the right. But that is not quite the same as being ambidextrous.

Still, is that why JVC made'm like that or was it just for being different, as a marketing trick? Ah well, maybe we shouldn't overthink it:)
 
Receiver update: So I did a super tech deep dive LOL. I gently tapped all the boards, continued to spin all the input knobs removed some lingering dust.
Re-connected the speakers and....
PERFECT! No static, hum, dead quiet! Sounds Fabulous!
I need to find a replacement Speaker-1 terminal plate. I have no idea how this was damaged. EDIT-Found the terminal plate on epay and ordered.
Here's a couple nudies.View attachment 2563612 View attachment 2563613 View attachment 2563623 View attachment 2563624 View attachment 2563625 View attachment 2563626 View attachment 2563629 View attachment 2563630
To follow up on Dad's receiver. I refreshed the cab with a light block sanding and some Watcos. Back then, they did actually match the veneer grain sides and top. Here's a couple pics of the cab and a test video with my bench Minimus 7s. Sounds very good, still a little noise in the SEA sliders, but I'm very happy!
IMG_4626.jpg IMG_4629.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom