• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

List of Absurd Prices for Items - Fun thread for obviously enthusiastic expectations

I asked this guy what was done in the restoration. I also asked why it pops if it was restored. Said he would ask the tech.

He just got back to me and said the restoration was cleaning the switches and pots.

Also said he thinks the popping is the output transistors. Here's the description:
Screenshot (950).jpg

Screenshot (949).jpg
 
I asked this guy what was done in the restoration. I also asked why it pops if it was restored. Said he would ask the tech.

He just got back to me and said the restoration was cleaning the switches and pots.

Also said he thinks the popping is the output transistors. Here's the description:
Hmm... $1900 ? Well gee, it IS a Marantz and it's outfitted with a "Wodden" box
 
The "item description from the seller" was primarily cut & pasted from here with some additions from the seller

 
This is not exactly the same thing. These are just some quotes from some ads I have seen:
One for an Olivetti typewriter...."one Olive Eddy typewriter"
A chest of drawers for sale in the newspaper: "One Chesterdrawers for sale"
An item for sale...don't remember what: "Brand new. Never used. Only a little"
 
I remember these rack systems, maybe a step above the Lloyds? Certainly not above Soundesign. :)

From f'book ad:

Ridiculously Rare! Disco 70s Vintage Pilot Hi-Fi Speakers Klipsch Woofers Trade Or ? $*Last price I saw on a similar pilot was $900 plus shipping and tax well over $1200 total is my guess and that's being conservative… I'm just asking $400, will consider trade for other electronics audio iPhones some collectibles ..."

He goes on to ramble about how rare they are, which he's correct, by saying there's no model number or other info on the backs - thereby proving their rarity. Give the guy credit for creativity. I wish he had the whole system - those looked very cool for an all-in-one pretending to be high end separates.

1771959446318.png
 
I remember these rack systems, maybe a step above the Lloyds? Certainly not above Soundesign. :)
I couldn't resist a little Google research here. I entered "Pilot HiFi tower system" and searched images. There I found the entire system complete with the above speakers, 8-track, TT in it's original cabinet on FB marketplace in Mississippi. Just $175 and you get it all ! The TT looks on par with a magnetic BSR. I'm guessing the amp/tuner/8-track is one unit with press board on the back (?)

Go get it !Screenshot_20260224-190609_Chrome.png
 
I couldn't resist a little Google research here. I entered "Pilot HiFi tower system" and searched images. There I found the entire system complete with the above speakers, 8-track, TT in it's original cabinet on FB marketplace in Mississippi. Just $175 and you get it all ! The TT looks on par with a magnetic BSR. I'm guessing the amp/tuner/8-track is one unit with press board on the back (?)

Go get it !

They had the look but sadly, yes, just a cheap all-in-one with low power. I read that after the real Pilot went out of business, the brand was bought by a middling Japanese company that sold these in furniture stores. Kind of the precursor to the Sony Shake systems sold in rental stores. Found this pic on the net.

1772035730199.png
 
No pix, but I'm chatting on FB with a guy about a Scott 272. He told me he modded it -- adapted it to something more like an Audio Research D-76. Intriguing. I said he should ping me once he had it out of storage and all checked out.

So he came back to me about how fully restored and serviced 272s go for $1800. That might be true -- for original or carefully restored collectors' items. Not for a heavily modded experiment! Even very well-established DIY builds sell for, at best, a fraction of the cost of the unit they're copied from/inspired by.

To me this is the classic "I know how good it sounds and how much that's worth" vs how the market actually works.

But I am way off base?
 
First question would be who did the work on the Scott? Any documentation? You're right it does seem high. Also depends on where you're located. Ive seen some great tube amps being sold for around $500.
 
I remember these rack systems, maybe a step above the Lloyds? Certainly not above Soundesign. :)

From f'book ad:

Ridiculously Rare! Disco 70s Vintage Pilot Hi-Fi Speakers Klipsch Woofers Trade Or ? $*Last price I saw on a similar pilot was $900 plus shipping and tax well over $1200 total is my guess and that's being conservative… I'm just asking $400, will consider trade for other electronics audio iPhones some collectibles ..."

He goes on to ramble about how rare they are, which he's correct, by saying there's no model number or other info on the backs - thereby proving their rarity. Give the guy credit for creativity. I wish he had the whole system - those looked very cool for an all-in-one pretending to be high end separates.

View attachment 3707273
I would love to hear the backstory on how the chrome dust cover got mashed through the mini grating over the tweeter.
 
Back
Top Bottom