• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Lots of sexist avatars on audio forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctor fuse

Super Member
Anyone else out there disappointed at the rampant sexism on display here, as evidenced by the plethora of juvenile and sexist avatar photos on so many audio forum members?

How would our mothers, wives and daughters feel about this?
 
Register to hide this ad
:lurk: Owing to the fact that the site is 95+% male, it is not surprising or odd, or even unexpected. However, would you prefer we just post pics of the latest celebrity selfies?

IMO, most avatars are relatively harmless. But that's just my opinion. Outright offensive pics are usually dealt with by admins or mods.
 
I don't think I have seen or read anything on this site that I wouldn't want my mother to see/read, or that you wouldn't encounter on TV, but maybe I am missing something. If anything is truly offensive, I assume the moderators would take care of it fairly quickly.
 
I don't believe that I have ever used an avatar that could be considered sexist. I have seen some that are a bit risqué. However, most audiophiles are men and we like women. I'm not advocating smut, far be it from me to do so. It just seems that there would likely be some guys who demonstrate such an interest. I don't see getting offended unless someone goes too far. In which case, I have confidence that the powers that be will deal with it. So far, I haven't seen an avatar or a post that is worth getting upset over here on AK. As a Christian, I accept the fact that most people are not of the same mindset as me and I don't expect anyone to pretend to be something he/she is not. My suggestion is don't let every little thing bother you. That's how I see it.
 
:lurk: Owing to the fact that the site is 95+% male, it is not surprising or odd, or even unexpected. However, would you prefer we just post pics of the latest celebrity selfies?

IMO, most avatars are relatively harmless. But that's just my opinion. Outright offensive pics are usually dealt with by admins or mods.

Stated perfectly.
 
..............IMO, most avatars are relatively harmless. But that's just my opinion. Outright offensive pics are usually dealt with by admins or mods.

Everyone has their limits, and apparently the good doctor's fuse is shorter than the average AKer. As a freedom lover, I don't think that a few people being offended can or should impose limits upon the majority. Power concentrated in the hands of few is pretty dangerous especially when that power is easily seized by simply declaring yourself to feel offended.

However, I can see that what the majority finds offensive is a target that has been moving in a spiral fashion.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom