• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Lots of sexist avatars on audio forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I find it quite healthy. It means most of the folks here haven't fallen for the PC BS overwhelming you just about everywhere you look.

Folks have a life and we enjoy this as a hobby. Many of us also enjoy cooking, camping, gardening, photography, etc. And that means maintaining a healthy relationship with our SO's. If they found something posted here as offensive I highly doubt the mods would even see it before the proverbial crap hit the fan.
 
You wanna see "sexist" (more like "porn") avatar material, try checking in @ a few of the "gun" boards and/or private (torrent) tracker sites. (though you'll have trouble accessing the latter if you're not among the membership)
 
Anyone else out there disappointed at the rampant sexism on display here, as evidenced by the plethora of juvenile and sexist avatar photos on so many audio forum members?

How would our mothers, wives and daughters feel about this?

I'm not so much disappointed, as concerned that we may be keeping some female audiophiles from joining and participating, depending on their sensibilities.

As far as the banner adverts, from what I've been seeing the past few weeks, my teenage daughter has been shopping for lingerie on Hot Topic's web site. Thank you, tracking cookies.
 
One time when I was 6 or 7 years old, my mother found a Playboy magazine that I had in my room and wanted to look at it. Strangly enough, a girl that used to live 2 houses away from me said she liked to look at the titty magazines, too. This girl aslo liked having her titties played with, too and would constantly encourage me to do this.
 
I am a pretty sensitive person but I do only remember one or two really sexist avatars.... ahhhmm... no... wait... they were somewhere else... in a German vintage Hifi forum?

Kidding aside - where we should draw the line? We are different people with different sentiments. There may be an avatar which one considers funny, another erotic, and another sexist. That's how it is.
 
Last edited:
I'm much more bothered by the drug references. I get very disappointed with the company I'm keeping when people talk about being stoned when listening to this or that or some other pro-drug reference.

If any of my pro-cannabis statements here have caused offense, I'm sorry for that.

Sincerely.

But the joy it has brought to me sometimes spills over, and while my own thoughts on it are that it's a fantastic way to enjoy music and enhance things at no harm to anyone at all, I'd rather not cause consternation among my friends here on AK.

I'll try to keep that in mind.
 
If any of my pro-cannabis statements here have caused offense, I'm sorry for that.

Sincerely.

But the joy it has brought to me sometimes spills over, and while my own thoughts on it are that it's a fantastic way to enjoy music and enhance things at no harm to anyone at all, I'd rather not cause consternation among my friends here on AK.

I'll try to keep that in mind.


He said drugs, not harmless plants. :beatnik:
 
You're right ... my usual avatar isn't sexist enough ... fixed it!

EDIT >> Already got a complaint about my new avatar ... they liked my old one better, so hey, it's bAAAAAaaaack!
 
Last edited:
Go visit a few car forums and them come back. It will seem tame.

Spot on. I forgot to include those along w/ the gun boards & torrenting sites.

PS: re: gun boards, one does not find offensive avatars @ The Colt Forums or either of the S&W forums. But a few of the others, esp. ones dedicated to discussion of assault rifles and assorted other black plastic crap firearms, another thing.
 
Last edited:
Honestly I'm kind of surprised anybody is offended by anything here. This is one of the most polite and cool forums I have been on. And I have been working in the Internet industry and running my own forums since 1999.

Trust me. This is pretty darn good.

Couldn't agree more. It's why I've been here since 2004. Lots of great, self policing folks here.
 
Doctor Fuse, sir, according to the forum rules the administration of this forum will not accept an avatar with sexual content. If you see a questionable avatar, please report it to the administration.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom