• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

M91ED or M97XE

I was wondering about that too. I haven't heard a cart and stylus combo that seems to reproduce horns as nicely as the M91ED on my system.

Still, different strokes... :yes:

Well again, I love the sound of the M91ED, myself!! It's very musical and works great with my AR XB. However, upon on further reflection I would have to say that the pinched quality that I have heard with horns, is not due to the Advents. The Ortofon 2M Black I was using, albeit on an AR ES-1 was much more open on top regarding horns, and it produced this sound on the Advents. I've been listening to Coleman Hawkins and Cannonball Adderley for many a moon myself, and the sound of their instruments was much more open with the 2M Black. Perhaps the difference in turntables could be part of the issue. The XB is in stock form, while the ES-1, which actually I have since sold, contained the Merrill mods, and had an SME M2-9 arm.
 
I was wondering about that too. I haven't heard a cart and stylus combo that seems to reproduce horns as nicely as the M91ED on my system.

Still, different strokes... :yes:

I would say that in regards to the M91ED's superb midrange (which is where the real magic lives), it is only second to my Grados.

The M91ED is always my recommendation for folks who love the rich Grado sound but have problems getting them to track properly on their arms, or have hum issues.

I've had the pleasure of using a decent number of Shures - M97xE, V15-III, V15-IV, M95HE, M44-7, M44-G - and the M91ED remains my favorite by far. Set one up with a JICO SAS and give it time to run in, and you're in for a treat.
 
Two things to keep in mind, cap loading is critical for voicing, and if not for the incredibly impressive bargain budget EVG aftermarket stylus this would be far less interesting as adding an SAS puts it into a highly competitive ca $200 category.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
Have not heard a M91ED in a good long while...

Just recently setup a M97xE on a SL-23 TT for a relative

The M97xE is picky as to getting it to sound proper. Its 'sound' changes appreciably to impedance & capacitance settings
 
Last edited:
Can I throw one in the mix

The Shure Premier Yellow ? I guess that's an M95ED ? Wow...was I surprised. Comparable to my AT440Mla (maybe a close second) but nice detail, wide sound stage...I never expected it. In terms of budget, MUCH nicer than the ubiquitous AT95E.

And for 139 it will take a sas stylus so definitely upgradeable...

Color me shocked...
 
The Shure Premier Yellow ? I guess that's an M95ED ? Wow...was I surprised. Comparable to my AT440Mla (maybe a close second) but nice detail, wide sound stage...I never expected it. In terms of budget, MUCH nicer than the ubiquitous AT95E.

And for 139 it will take a sas stylus so definitely upgradeable...

Color me shocked...

Yes, it is. Nice cartridge. There was an available HE stylus for it that might move it ahead of the AT on your list.

(In fact, Stereoneedles has them in stock for less than an SAS.)

John
 
The Shure Premier Yellow ? I guess that's an M95ED ? Wow...was I surprised. Comparable to my AT440Mla (maybe a close second) but nice detail, wide sound stage...I never expected it. In terms of budget, MUCH nicer than the ubiquitous AT95E.

And for 139 it will take a SAS stylus so definitely upgradeable...

Color me shocked...

Me too with the M91/EVG in the PL-L1000. I had some loading plugs made up for a V15-III trial handy and used them with it and an ESP P-06 phono stage.
This set-up could easily stay as the casual player option to the VPI/ET-2/ OC9-II/ AD797 serious critical listening player, how ridiculous is that for a $12 stylus.
 
Last edited:
M91ed

I have a few of the M91EDs, and the EVG replacement stylus is a Jico piece.

Thus for a reasonable cost, I have a damn sweet sounding cartridge, capable of challenging carts costing several dollars more.

Additionally, the M91ED is prolific, found on many a vintage TT at garage sales, and no-one seems to know just how good they are.

Full bodied, smooth mids and detailed flowing highs.

Cheers
 
I'll have to check that

Yes, it is. Nice cartridge. There was an available HE stylus for it that might move it ahead of the AT on your list.

(In fact, Stereoneedles has them in stock for less than an SAS.)

John

Seriously, I thought it was a giveaway cart. I had cleaned it so I could show a friend about cleaning a stylus, it was there and I though "what the hell, wonder what it sounds like..". Whoa ! Surprise. This was no budget cart. I popped my AT440 back on just to do a comparison...hmm..maybe a tossup..that sppoked me..LOL

Thanks for the stylus tip (no pun intended) :D
 
M91ED carts are amazingly good, commonly found, and EVG/Jico styli for it are ridiculously inexpensive. When paired the combination sound wonderfully rich.

In my own humble opinion if I had to pick just one cartridge for life it would be the Shure M91ED. Fortunately I don't so I will keep and use my various Empire, Piezo, Acutex, and other Shure carts too. :D

Gerard
 
Seems a lot of agreement on the M91ED. I will have to get one of those good stylus for it. I have been building up a little stash of cartridges and with each one trying to move up the ladder. But on some LP's that old M91ED just seems to stand out. Not the best on the bottom end or the top end but on those good jazz or big bands with a lot of brass sections that cart with a good horn driver just really makes you smile.
 
I'll cast a vote for the M91ED. It's my main cartridge. I have others, but they just don't sound as natural to me.
 
Garrard Zero 2000B

After a few postings and searches I've concluded people either seem to love or hate Garrard tables. I recently picked up a Z2000B table and after freeing up the grease got it functioning well. Its a nice looking table with an interesting arm (though maybe not well executed as some have said). The arm has a Shure M91ED cartridge with a shot original stylus. I'd appreciate hearing anybody's experiences with these tables and cartridges. Also, what would be a good replacement stylus and/ or cartridge? Many thanks to all.
 
Not familiar with the table but that cartridge is a keeper. For base level performance this stylus... http://www.ebay.com/itm/STYLUS-SHUR...rd_Player_Turntable_Parts&hash=item1e8658d4de has proven to be a superb value. Above this point, excluding the stray NOS Shure, you have hyper-elliptical, vivid line and SAS to choose from.

Don't know your arms effective mass. Some of these may be too compliant for a really proper match. The EVG is actually a little less compliant than the original Shure N91ED so I would bet on it working fine.

I am not associated with the above linked seller but have used that needle and it works well.
 
Last edited:
Thanks much, I appreciate the advise. I moved this topic into a new thread but I will check out your suggestions!
 
Actually Pio1980 the tweeters of the large Advent were as carefully designed as the woofer. No oem anything in the large Advent.
 
Back
Top Bottom