• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mach One 4024, 4024A, 4029 Information and Upgrades!

This may be a silly question, but before I do something not easily undone:
Is there any reason I can't use a 4" hole saw for opening up the mid chamber?
 
Mach 1 Mods

This may be a silly question, but before I do something not easily undone:
Is there any reason I can't use a 4" hole saw for opening up the mid chamber?

No.

The 4" hole saw is fine. The three 3.5" holes was for a multi-chamber resonance, that will not be used in the newest Tier 2 design. The 4" will be just fine. :yes:
 
I don't think its the dimension of the hole itself that matters here.Rather its the fact that the holes enlarge the lower chamber by taking advantage of the dead space that was in the midrange chamber and sharing it with the woofer chamber.Therefore making one large chamber.
 
4" holes

Do you think 2- 4" holes will suffice?

The Mach 1 driver has around 143 square inches of cone area. The 4" holes each have just over 12. I would go for three and if you can without cutting into the wires I would add a fourth. The 3 x 3.5" was for a muti-chamber effect, which changed the response curve a little. We are not after that anymore. Bottom line is two is not enough.
 
Just got through reading this wonderful thread! I was confused at some points and others not.. But in the end, i have a few questions.... Please excuse me if i irritate anyone with these questions....

1) With respect to the covering of the backside of the woofer, there are several mentions of different kinds of rubber/foam tape... so pretty much the same kind of stuff that one would use to seal a window up? Or something like this..
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...e/CROSSSELL~0642528 Rubber+Tape.jsp?locale=en

2) Raddek mention cross bracing the Machs, do i assume he meant a 2x2( lets say pine ) the length of the distance between the baffle(front) and the back of the cab and then the same thing but side to side, if so do i screw/glue the 2 braces together where they meet?

3) I read through videolady's tier one upgrade, great work.. but he did not mention the cross bracing thing, should his mods and the cross bracing be done together , or is it one or the other? Also his mods are for a 4029, so i guess the crossover mods cannot be applied to a 4024a? And would the extra lumber from Raddek cross brace interfere with videolady's 3 x 3 1/2 inch
cabinet mod?

I think that's it for now...
 
Oh BTW i just ordered some Solen caps to replace the Mach's Hopefully it will help with my "farting" woofer.. either way i guess they should be swapped out anyways....

:)
 
Bracing Info

Bracing is fine even with the 3 x 3.5" holes. I only used one brace of 1" x 2" front to back. I just cut the brace where it had to be tapped into position and glued it in place. The mods are for the 4029 only at this point. Someone said they would send me the 4024a drivers. If that happens I will do a crossover for that model as well! The sides are only 9" deep and do not really need a brace.

The foam tape you mentioned as if you were talking about using it with the woofer. The only foam I spoke of is 1/16" thick and 1/8" wide to replace the seal/damper in the Midrange driver. And yes, in the size I listed the foam for weather stripping is good.

SORRY, MY MISTAKE: I had to edit and put this in here. I think this is what you were talking about. I did say to cover the midrange driver cover with foam to seal for air leaks as well. 1/16" to 1/8" thick will work good for the midrange cover.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for your reply...

Ya, maybe i mis-spoke, i meant to say someone(not you) mentioned that they covered up the backside of the woofer with damping material like window sealing, on the spokes of the woofer, i did not mean to infer it was you, i apologize if it seemed that way...

And from the more recent posts it seemed like you prefer 3 holes of 4 inches rather than 3 1/2 So i should do this i guess?

Thanks again and have a great day!
 
Hole sizes

Yes, the 3 x 4" holes is better. I plan to release Tier 2 upgrade soon! I am still waiting on the 4024a drivers so I can see what is needed for it.
 
If you need any info from my 4024a's, serial numbers, pics, etc...whichever you might need... Let me know...

Have a good one!

Rob..
 
Hey videolady, curious minds are wondering how you're doing! You've got us hooked, waiting for you to reel us in....
 
Status

Hey videolady, curious minds are wondering how you're doing! You've got us hooked, waiting for you to reel us in....

Very busy week & weekend. Not much time this past week to do much. However, the results are really, really good so far!! Maybe by next weekend I'll have something to post!:yes:
 
I am about to close my 4024A after recapping... i was thinking of adding those 3 or 4, 4 inch holes as mentioned in your mod Videolady. But since mine are not 4029's should i still do it, or just leave as is... Or just wait till your 4024 mod is ready?

I just figured while i have it opened on the workbench....

Thanks...
 
Holes to enlarge the woofer space.

I am about to close my 4024A after recapping... i was thinking of adding those 3 or 4, 4 inch holes as mentioned in your mod Videolady. But since mine are not 4029's should i still do it, or just leave as is... Or just wait till your 4024 mod is ready?

I just figured while i have it opened on the workbench....

Thanks...

Hello, you can go ahead and add them. The cabinet on the 4024, 4024a and 4029 are all smaller than they should be. This will add about .75 cubic foot to the cabinet size and drop the FS around 10Hz. This is a good thing on any of the models.:yes:
 
So my new line of thought is to try and find another set of 4029's and an older quadraphonic receiver and see how it sounds. It will take some time and funds but I have this fascination with creating a listening environment using a quad setup... archaic, yes, but I think it would be too cool to sit down and listen to Frank Zappa's Apostrophe. Anyone have any suggestions when it comes to quad receivers/amps???
 
Back
Top Bottom