• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Magnum Dynalab Owners Thread

Nuther proud MD owner checking in, a silver face rack mount FT101 which must have been made at the end of the production run as it's box is marked FT101A but the tuner is definitely the 101 model. Previous owner had upgraded the audio output and it's sound is amazing. MD did an amazing repair/alignment for under $200, best value out there to keep your tuner primo.

Btw, the oft praised (with good reason) ST2 antenna is a rebadged Metz 288 which you can buy direct from them for $50. Check them out at at metzcommunications.com
 
I just bought my second MD FT-101, this time, the "A". It sounds terrific! It was a low hours unit that came with an MD205 (my third, they are VERY useful for cleaning up low power non-commercial stations) and WFDD (Classical) out of Winston-Salem was transmitting some ULTRA low Bass (at or below 20Hz-perhaps a tone prompt for a program or something) during a program transition. (I'd never heard THAT before with my F-28!) In my two samples, the 101A is a BIG step up in audio quality (in particular the Separation) and is no slouch in the RF department either. I am thinking about modding the lamps by placing LED's under the meters. They're not "dim" but I wish they'd "pop" a bit more...
 
Just picked up a very clean MD90 today and have some questions. This thing seems kinda possessed! Is it normal for the Signal Strength meter to keep responding to stations even after you turn off the tuner? If I move the tuning dial a bit to the left or right, the needle jumps around as if it was turned on. Also, the Center Tuning meter seems dead. Overall, it is tuning well and the frequencies are accurate but these meters are not what I'm used to.
 
Just picked up a very clean MD90 today and have some questions. This thing seems kinda possessed! Is it normal for the Signal Strength meter to keep responding to stations even after you turn off the tuner? If I move the tuning dial a bit to the left or right, the needle jumps around as if it was turned on. Also, the Center Tuning meter seems dead. Overall, it is tuning well and the frequencies are accurate but these meters are not what I'm used to.

Yes, totally normal and will occur unless disconnected from the wall outlet. Ever MD tuner I have owned has done this. Nothing to worry about.
 
All three meters move with the power on or off.
Your center tuning meter should move too.
 
The Center-Tune meter isn't mechanically jammed as far as I can tell but it doesn't move as you tune off center. In fact, it barely quivers as you tune up and down. I traced the wires from the meter back to the main circuit board and re-seated the connector but it didn't change anything. I'm guessing it will make a trip back to Magnum for a tuneup. Is there a Service Manual for this unit online anywhere?
 
Also noticed that there is a header pin set in the back corner near the where the Balanced Out XLRs would be. Does anybody know if these pins are active all the time? Seems like a nice weekend DIY project to add balanced outs to this MD90.

IMG_0011.jpg
 
The Center-Tune meter isn't mechanically jammed as far as I can tell but it doesn't move as you tune off center. In fact, it barely quivers as you tune up and down. I traced the wires from the meter back to the main circuit board and re-seated the connector but it didn't change anything. I'm guessing it will make a trip back to Magnum for a tuneup. Is there a Service Manual for this unit online anywhere?

The center meter is the least hyperactive of the three.

Also noticed that there is a header pin set in the back corner near the where the Balanced Out XLRs would be. Does anybody know if these pins are active all the time? Seems like a nice weekend DIY project to add balanced outs to this MD90.

View attachment 1674055

I would send it in for any modifications. They will also check the alignment and ensure it's in perfect order. Any DIY mods will not help the value of the unit. MD has very reasonable service rates. The $150.00, lifetime, service fee covers all internal parts except tubes.
http://www.magnumdynalab.com/services/
 
A little surprised to see so little discussion on Magnum Dynalab tuners and related gear. So, here's a thread for the the MD owners, users with questions, and those interested their tuners.

As a long time fan of Magnum Dynalab, I have the following gear: 101A Tuner, MD205 Signal Sleuth, and their SR100 antenna. I'm lucky to have some great FM stations in my area and the MD gear is a joy to use.

View attachment 956806
anyone have any info on the dynalabs magnum model 95 fm amplified tuner/ any info would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
 
I just picked up an Etude in terrific condition and here's what I've learned about this frozen meter business: The multipath and center tune meters on my "new to me" Etude were mechanically frozen SOLID. What that means is the pointer will TRY to move but can't. Same for both meters. I disassembled the multipath meter first. When I loosened the screw a turn or two, the meter freed up and now works PERFECTLY. But wait here's (as Lewis Black used to like to say) the BAD NEWS: When I tried the same thing with the Center Tune meter, loosening the screw didn't free the pointer up, it just outright disintegrated/came off its mount. I actually had the advantage of experience with it, and if anything I was MORE gentle with the second one. I have a lead on another center tune meter, so it's not the end of the world, but the reason I'm posting is to clear up some of the misinformation out there on this, the single greatest quirk about these tuners, at least in my experience and reading. They can be fixed, but depending on condition and age, you might not be able to save every meter, every time you attempt a refurbishment. I hope this helps someone. If you're not good with fine work (I'm better with it now that I've had Cataract surgery), you're better off to send it to Ontario. Good luck...
 
I bought an MD 106-T several months ago, used, and had it shipped straight to the Magnum Dynalab headquarters, spoke with Jim Richards about it and arranged an alignment, replacement of tubes, and general exam of the unit. I love it and I’m a big fan of the magic eye tube. It’s hooked up to two different antenna, each with its own strengths. The left dial lets me switch from one to another.

I’d really like to have the 108T, especially the signature edition, but frankly I’d rather not spend $5k-$7k on my FM radio setup. That doesn’t mean I don’t keep a Hifi Shark search alert for it though. The 109T, with its digital interface, completely loses its sexiness.
 

Attachments

  • A7616157-DD7D-40EC-BAD5-CCFF491339DC.jpeg
    A7616157-DD7D-40EC-BAD5-CCFF491339DC.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 39D243F2-B2D6-4558-A367-39F57E65C66F.jpeg
    39D243F2-B2D6-4558-A367-39F57E65C66F.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 48
I bought an MD 106-T several months ago, used, and had it shipped straight to the Magnum Dynalab headquarters, spoke with Jim Richards about it and arranged an alignment, replacement of tubes, and general exam of the unit. I love it and I’m a big fan of the magic eye tube. It’s hooked up to two different antenna, each with its own strengths. The left dial lets me switch from one to another.

I’d really like to have the 108T, especially the signature edition, but frankly I’d rather not spend $5k-$7k on my FM radio setup. That doesn’t mean I don’t keep a Hifi Shark search alert for it though. The 109T, with its digital interface, completely loses its sexiness.

Excellent! :thumbsup:

P.S. - Nice Benchmark stack.
 
I enjoy reading posts from those of you that own high end Magnum Dynalabs.

In my case I have two more modest older units that have given me much listening pleasure.

My FT-101 has given me years of listening pleasure. It dates back to 1987 and still sounds great. The signal strength meter is frozen. Ricktptman has inspired me to go in and try to fix it.

I bought the FT-11 as a tuner in my second system. It was cheap but a little banged up. The unit had been obviously dropped. The tuning knob was broken off. It would drift a lot and from time to time it would stop working altogether.

I glued the tuning knob back on and noticed that the drifting decreased. I also applied deoxit to the push button switches. Everything worked better. No more instability. The contacts are after all more than 30 years old and probably had never been cleaned. I also moved the FT-11 to another location, far away from the heat generated by my push pull EL 34 amp. No more drift. I spent the best part of a day listening to my favorite stations. The temperature compensating capacitors in the front end are very sensitive to excess heat and are probably due for replacement. Neither meter works. I plan to try to get them working too. I have not tried the preset buttons as the stations that I listen to are near one another at the bottom of the dial.

I don’t hear much difference between the two tuners. They both put out a good soundstage. The FT-11 has more gain and seems to have a bit more high frequency energy, but the two have the same signature Magnum Dynalab sound.

Someday I will send them both to the factory for refurbishment but I am in no hurry.

I am lucky to have two good stations to listen to and to have two Magnum Dynalab tuners to enjoy.

Cheers,
Ed
 
I had a 101A but wasn’t listening to broadcast and sold it.

I recently (in the last couple years) picked up a Kenwood KT-8300 and it pulls in stations better I think... I bet an alignment would also help since it’s like 45 years old.

Still don’t listen to broadcast.
 
I had a 101A but wasn’t listening to broadcast and sold it.

I recently (in the last couple years) picked up a Kenwood KT-8300 and it pulls in stations better I think... I bet an alignment would also help since it’s like 45 years old.

Still don’t listen to broadcast.
I only listen to our local NPR affiliate which features jazz from 9:30 to 1:00 AM and our independent community radio station which is mostly jazz. There are a couple of college stations which can be interesting but everything else is a commercial wasteland with compressed audio. As a jazz lover, I am very lucky.
 
Anyone here have any hands on with a MD-109T? I was considering one, is it a frequency synthesizer, varactor or something else entirely? Would it outrun an analog Kenwood L-02T in restored condition? (That’s the other consideration here.)
 
Last edited:
I only listen to our local NPR affiliate which features jazz from 9:30 to 1:00 AM and our independent community radio station which is mostly jazz. There are a couple of college stations which can be interesting but everything else is a commercial wasteland with compressed audio. As a jazz lover, I am very lucky.

that is the problem I have. Some good local Jazz stations, but most of the rock, classic or alt, comes from either 256AAC, which is lofi, or WAV which is CD quality and just fine.
 
that is the problem I have. Some good local Jazz stations, but most of the rock, classic or alt, comes from either 256AAC, which is lofi, or WAV which is CD quality and just fine.

What tuner and antenna are you using?

By the way, welcome to Audiokarma.

Ed
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom