• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Magnum Dynalab Owners Thread

I have recently sold both of my previous tuners (Yamaha T-85) and Nakamichi 430 that both needed repairs (again). I was really tired of going down the rabbit hole of restoration and repairs repeatedly on vintage gear.

That said, I love FM and radio listening as one of my sources and am considering getting something new. Can folks in this group comment on the following:
  • Reliability of MD tuners over a multi year period.
  • Sensitivity and ability to receive in stereo at lower signal levels. If there are specific models that would better suit my situation (shown below) let me know.
As information, I live in a hilly rural area. My desired public radio stations are either 60+ miles away or much lower power repeater that is 30+ miles from me. I do have a very good directional outdoor FM antenna and quality lead-in already set up.

I am attracted to MD due to many comments about great sound quality and that the factory has a repair/alignment service for their tuners at a reasonable cost.
 
Just received a used FT 101a Etude in great physical condition. However, instructions for setup include a step that says to set bandwidth switch to BW-1. Can someone tell me where that switch is located? I seem to have no clue.
Also, I have noticed a slight fuzziness and steely quality to the high frequencies. Wondering if I should just send it to MD for a tuneup.
Thanks in advance for any help.
 
I got one almost a year ago now in excellent condition. Look for the IF Band toggle switch and use the Wide setting for lowest distortion. The factory service option is a primary reason I bought a used FT101A Etude. If you are experiencing sound issues, I would recommend making use of the service. It is quite cost effective based on my multiple experiences having my old fleet of vintage tuners serviced. That said, my Etude has sounded excellent since I got it, so I just enjoy it.
PXL_20221220_151519728.jpg PXL_20221220_151527786.jpg
 
Did Magnum Dynlab move away from their place on Strathearn? It seems the place is empty now. I have been inside there before, so I know it was there and is just southeast of a major intersection, Dixie Road and Steeles Avenue. It looked like a fun place to work - loud radio music blaring everywhere.

BTW I do have the lowest price Magnum Dynalab item, probably of anyone here. I have a Magnum 95 Sleuth that I got at a garage sale for $4. I do like the idea of four-gang tuning and variable RF gain.
 
@audiogoose
My Etude came with the remote and without that plug. The tuner would not work without the plug or the remote.
The service department sent me this info that I printed and saved. Two small copper jumpers solved my issue.166A6584-7D51-476D-BF32-898C87BAFB75.jpeg
Hope this helps.
 
Last edited:
Hello everyone. Sorry if this is redundant but I have a MD 108 that survived one of my basement walls collapsing. However the BW 1 switch snapped off and I need a replacement. Have left 5 messages with MD but no response. The way the unit is made, you have to remove the CB for all the switches to get to any one of them. The black plastic on the switches does not seem to want to come off so I can remove the nuts that retain them. Any advice?
 
I had heard they were bought by another company in the past year or so. This is what I show for current contact information. Perhaps a phone call if email doesn't get results? Or contact one of their dealers.

Contact
Magnum Dynalab Inc.

Magnum Dynalab
c/o Ben Nguyen
24 Sam Frustagio Dr.
Toronto, Ontario M9N 3Y5
Tel: 905-791-5888
Toll Free in North America: 1-800-551-4130
Email: bennguyen007@yahoo.ca
Fax: 905-791-5583
International Fax: 1-905-791-5583

Email: info@magnumdynalab.com

US Service Depot
Magnum Dynalab
600 Main St.
Tonawanda, NY
14150
Tel: 1-800-551-4130
 
Perhaps someone here can help me. I have an FT-101 tuner and all the meters were pushed in. Now, I've glued them back in their places but the bulb on one of the meters won't light up. I've taken out the meter but I don't know where to acquire a replacement bulb. I like the vintage glow so I am not interested in changing it to LED. (Not do I have the knowledge to do it.)

I reached out to Magnum-Dynalab and they responded "Repair would be $595 which includes shipping and a full over look. If you want us to proceed let us know. We are not doing trade in at this time but you can revisit that in 3 months". A second email arrived from the same person the following day stating "The repair is going to run you $350 before taxes. There is not [sic] trade up available for this product."

So I guess the tradeup program is over for them.

All your help is appreciated!


MEF
 
Back
Top Bottom