• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 1200

As for speakers maybe for sentimental reasons I am drawn to the vintage JBL's I love how uncolored they sound.
 
When do you get yours? Looking forward to seeing all about it.
You mean the 33? I got a pristine unit around January this year, first revision still with quite a bunch of FET in the input section. The thing had some cigarette smoke stains but I got it well cleaned up. Guy that sold me said it sat in his basement for 17 years and I found it to be believeable.

I went on a hunt to get mostly all of the many MPSA in that unit. Just in case. The new caps made it more lively, although I still need to look into a conversion from 16uf to 32uf in the service manual.
 
Nicely done on the 33, but, I meant when does your 1200 arrive?
My bad - it comes in this Tuesday, I got it from the 'bay for a OK price. What caught my eye was the the seller put it up for parts, but I wanted to pay to see if he just forgot the connectors on the back. It could well be a busted unit, but it doesn't matter.
 
Nice pickup.

Hopefully the seller was aboveboard, forthcoming with the description. To many times units sold as is no return with vague descriptions and jumpers missing, important switches in wrong position. Later it seems after receiving the item, to be for a reason.
 
A 1200 should be a lot more expensive than they are now. I think they were the TOTL, or most expensive at one point, may need to re-check my facts on that one.
 
Nice pickup.

Hopefully the seller was aboveboard, forthcoming with the description. To many times units sold as is no return with vague descriptions and jumpers missing, important switches in wrong position. Later it seems after receiving the item, to be for a reason.
He seemed honest. He described hooking it up with a DAC, the power came up but nothing came out of the speakers or headphones. So for all intents and purposes this was sold as a dead unit.

I got it for $450 give or take (hope I don't get flagged for saying this I'll remove if so). Heck that barely pays the cost for the metal and transformer LOL
 
Well it's just a hobby. I didn't want to take risks on working units like the ones I have - I recapped them sometimes two or three times (the 1120 was picking up an AM station through a capacitor), replaced noisy or unmatched transistors and most diffs.

I got some tools, scope, generator, etc. Might as well try my hand on something broken, that's what I thought. It could all go up in flames. Hope not!
 
Watching. I have a 1200 in great cosmetic condition but doesn't work. Several years ago I replaced all the electro caps and output transistors and a few other parts. One channel was really flamed out. Powered up once on a variac. No smoke but no sound either. Then I had to start packing for a move and no further progress. I still like to see the stories of other restos so I will have more info when I get back to it.
Good luck with yours,
John
 
Watching. I have a 1200 in great cosmetic condition but doesn't work. Several years ago I replaced all the electro caps and output transistors and a few other parts. One channel was really flamed out. Powered up once on a variac. No smoke but no sound either. Then I had to start packing for a move and no further progress. I still like to see the stories of other restos so I will have more info when I get back to it.
Good luck with yours,
John
Hope you are able to get back to it. I am getting a unit that I have no idea what state it is in, it looks whole but I am prepared to start from the ground up if need be.
Thank you!
 
Oh I wonder what's wrong with this amp.
 

Attachments

  • 20210406_145550.jpg
    20210406_145550.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210406_145601.jpg
    20210406_145601.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210406_145605.jpg
    20210406_145605.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 28
Your CC resistor flamed out pretty good.

For reference:
TN98CEl.jpg


Does your good channel make any noise?
 
@MarantzRefrb I am not sure yet, I will connect a signal gen and scope to see what I get there. But the relay clicking was somewhat of a relief. My board looks like yours, the blown section is at the top. Someone might have tried to "fix" something because my wires at that spot are all black.

Would you happen to know if I could find replacement TO-3 sockets? They look like crap here. Also I have this:

upload_2021-4-6_16-18-18.png
It looks like a connection between the outputs, do you recall seeing anything like this?
 
Back
Top Bottom