• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz pwr amp ... 140 , 170, ???

albireo13

Active Member
What's a good Marantz vintage power amp? I like the vu meters. The 140 or the 170 look really nice but, what about sound? Are they better than their 22xx rcvrs?

Rob
 
Register to hide this ad
Amps

I have a bunch of Marantz amps 140,170,240,250. My current favorite is the 170 DC with a 3300 through Forte's. Great clean sound. I run my Cornwalls through a 250/3600 setup, another great combination. I admit that the meters are compelling. I don't however own a Marantz receiver but do my FM listening through a 115B and a Carver receiver.
I'm a fan of the mix and match potential of separates.
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 70's stuff.


Crite’s modified Fortes, Crites modified Cornwall IIs (2 pair), Marantz 1060, Marantz 140 amp, Marantz 170DC amp, Marantz 240 amp, Marantz 250 amp, Marantz 3200, Marantz 3250, Marantz 3300, Marantz 3600, Marantz 115B Tuner, Marantz 105 Tuner. A Gaggle of Carver receivers, Ohm 2's,
Dahlquist 9's, Denon Cd, Technics SL-Q2 and an AR-XA. A Grant Fidelity Tube processor.

"Good Music, Single Malt and Old Motorcycles"
 
The 170 has a cleaner sound. Where as the 140 has more of the traditional sound.

The more traditional sound I believe is created by amplification, or boost, in the lower 150-3000hz range. So the cleaner sound is simply a more accurate sound.

More important than the amp is what preamp you are using. I found in my case I didn't care for the 170 with the 3300 or 3600. So I think the better match would be the 3250. However I've found that the 170 matches EXCEPTIONALLY well with the preamp section of my new NAD integrated amp.


Are separates better than receivers. They are but by very little. Unless you start getting into the big stuff.

Charles
 
"The more traditional sound I believe is created by amplification, or boost, in the lower 150-3000hz range. So the cleaner sound is simply a more accurate sound."

Or it could be because of a missing emphasis of the top end of the spectrum.

My experience - on my Equipment -is, that the later models, like the 170DC and others from that period like the 3250/B have an emphasis on the top end, so they tend to sound somewhat "lighter", which often is considered "more accurate" - which I think is not right.

regards
Freddy
 
I like both amplifiers alot and imo the sound difference between those two is nihil.
When comparing amplifiers the right way you have to set output levels exactly the same otherwise your brain may fool you.

The feeling that you can get with a amplifier is another story.

If you make more comparissons over time with the same two amplifiers you wil notice that you have fooled yourself. ;-)
 
I didn't imply that one was bad. I'm only pointing out what ""I"" hear as their differences. So the differences would also factor into your speakers and music taste.

Enjoy them all I say!

charles
 
Back
Top Bottom