• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

marantz receiver which one?

billysam1

Member
Hi I am about to purchase a marantz receiver .I have 3 options a 2230 ,2240 or 2250b I would like some expert opinions thats why I came here .so which would be the best one ? thanks in advance for any input .
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm curious to see the opinions. My guess would be the 2240. But I'm not an expert, I only have experience with a 2235B and love it.
 
.. the 2250B would be the the receiver to get of this list .. Perfect combination of warmth and power .. Shares the same design as the 2275 with marginally less power .. Anyone of these units are good but , IMHO , the 2250B is one of the best sounding and looking receivers Marantz ever made :music:
 
Why don't you just listen to them all and pick the one that sounds best to you? They are all vintage goodies, and asking others to speak for your ears is gonna make you confused.
 
I am trading a sansui G 6700 I have to much stuff but I don,t have a marantz and I have always liked the sound and the looks of the 22xx series marantz .Am I crazy for giving up the sansui ? I,m thinking the 50b would be a more comparable trade .
 
I would not trade that Sansui for any of those Marantz units. Not only are the Marantz units inferior sound-wise, but also less valuable and much more common.

Not a good trade.
 
I have a restored 2250B. I chose this Marantz to have restored simply because it's the coolest looking generation and the face layout was more attractive to me. I'm glad I chose it too. It sounds great. The earlier generation Marantz's are too warm for my taste. The 2230 I had just didn't do the trick.

It's nice to have a little power in reserve too.
 
I would not trade that Sansui for any of those Marantz units. Not only are the Marantz units inferior sound-wise, but also less valuable and much more common.

Not a good trade.

Seriously, inferior? I'm not saying one is "better" then another as I haven't heard all four receivers in question. I'm assuming that you have since you are making this statement. Can you elaborate on what makes the three Marantz receivers inferior to the Sansui?
 
I think you might be right Ruxman I bought this sansui a while ago ,got it fairly cheap from a guy that said it came from his mothers house mybe she died or something I don,t know I didn,t ask questions .Anyways I hooked it up and have been listening to it this weekend ,this thing is a powerhouse and it sounds really clean .It just might knock the socks off of a few marantz units out there .I think I will hang on to this one .I am still going to get a marantz, things are a little tight right now with my daughter in college but when I can afford it I will get a marantz .
 
I think you might be right Ruxman I bought this sansui a while ago ,got it fairly cheap from a guy that said it came from his mothers house mybe she died or something I don,t know I didn,t ask questions .Anyways I hooked it up and have been listening to it this weekend ,this thing is a powerhouse and it sounds really clean .It just might knock the socks off of a few marantz units out there .I think I will hang on to this one .I am still going to get a marantz, things are a little tight right now with my daughter in college but when I can afford it I will get a marantz .

The marantz's are powerhouses too, the sansui unit you have is on par with the larger marantz you mention as far as price goes. It's personal preference, but to come here and say one is better than the other is an eye of the beholder statement.
 
I am trading a sansui G 6700 I have to much stuff but I don,t have a marantz and I have always liked the sound and the looks of the 22xx series marantz .Am I crazy for giving up the sansui ? I,m thinking the 50b would be a more comparable trade .

The 2250B is an excellent receiver and IMO a good trade for the 6700. The G-x700 series is not my favorite because they are not as well made as the previous G-x000 series, especially the TOTL's.
 
It is somewhat subjective. When I first got my 2265, I thought, so what! Then I started to pair it with various speakers. Some were too 'dark' and too muddy with the Marantz, others, though, matched up well.

It really surprised me how temperamental the Marantz is. I also had a Sansui 5000A (love the earlier units--warmer sound there!) and it was more accepting of most speakers?

I really can't get into the fanboy class on any of the pieces I have because they all have their merits and play well with certain speakers.

When all is said and done though, I'd probably go with the 2250b as well--I've found the 50 watters I have to be a sweet spot down from the TOTL monsters that are ALWAYS overpriced these days....sheeesh the prices people are willing to pay for something on its last legs!.

Have fun and enjoy the ride, that's really what it's all about anyway!

cnh2
 
Last edited:
Why don't you just listen to them all and pick the one that sounds best to you? They are all vintage goodies, and asking others to speak for your ears is gonna make you confused.
I must agree with Big Tuna. I've had a 2270 that didn't have the "deep warm sound" as it should. (needed to go in the shop). A 2265b that the phono input had issues. (more shop time). A 2235 that looked like it lost a cat fight but sounded fantastic. Go listen to them if you can. (And test everything).
 
For me this question is about functional matching and listening preference. A low power Marantz 22XX will work great with speaker Y in room Z. If you change Y or Z or have a different listening preference (i.e. you want a flat sound across the entire frequency) you come up with a different receiver need. As an example, I listen to highly efficient (97 db) 2-channel speakers at a distance of 2 meters in a mostly enclosed room of about 1300 cubic feet. For me, anything over 20 watts is probably a waste. Also, my speakers aren't flat, being a little weak in bass output and mid-range (being 2-channel) and I've got a slightly zippy top end and an untreated listening space. A modern, flat frequency receiver requires a ton of EQ and a mediocre sound. A low power vintage Marantz 2238B matches up extremely well with my needs and creates beautiful warm music with all EQ in the natural position. Your needs might be different.
 
Well I picked up the 2250b and it sounds pretty good too . The marantz has that classic look that I was looking for . The sansui has more of an 80,s look to it, which I guess is a personal preference .I was not trying to say one was better than the other, they are both nice receivers .But as far as the tuners go the sansui works great, with the marantz i,m not picking up the stations or getting near as good of a signal as I should be .Is there any way of improving the reception on the tuner of the marantz ?
 
Back
Top Bottom