• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MC2105 auto former

Strange how the chassis style SS McIntosh amplifiers are regarded "ugly ducklings" but never their tube counterparts. With the cages installed, they're not that different except for the squared off transformers. Recently McIntosh has revived the chassis style for certain integrated models and they seem to be selling well. Perhaps the acceptance for these units may trickle down to these previously unloved earlier models. The most ironic part of all is that initially, McIntosh had reservations about the new glass faced models and predicted the earlier MC250 would outsell the MC2505 by 3 to 1 yet the opposite happened.
WAF.
 
Strange how the chassis style SS McIntosh amplifiers are regarded "ugly ducklings" but never their tube counterparts. With the cages installed, they're not that different except for the squared off transformers. Recently McIntosh has revived the chassis style for certain integrated models and they seem to be selling well. Perhaps the acceptance for these units may trickle down to these previously unloved earlier models. The most ironic part of all is that initially, McIntosh had reservations about the new glass faced models and predicted the earlier MC250 would outsell the MC2505 by 3 to 1 yet the opposite happened.

McIntosh is putting meters on their tube amps, seems to be their direction.

As far as the tube amps being naked also and valuable, there was no metered version to compare it to.

I like pretty much all McIntosh amplifiers naked or boxed, metered or not, but prefer metered & in a walnut cabinet. Of course the walnut cabinet option stopped around 2000 so I live with lots of black paint now, and I'm still happy.

Patina? I haven't bought into that trend but if you want a nic set of MC75 chassis with light patina let me know!
 
Tne non-metered McIntosh amps were the "ugly ducklings" of the McIntosh line and I too remember them as being worth so little that they weren't worth fixing or restoring. They still lag behind the metered units, but I'd guess their increase in value (in multiples) outstrips all but the most collectible metered units, which are still climbing as well.

This is especially true of the singleton. An example where someone would buy one, an AM or FM mono radio station to drive a fine single loudspeaker, like a Tannoy Monitor Red or Gold, Altec Lansing 604, or similar. Laboratory and telecom applications. Mono recording studio.
 
Will update for certain. The parts will reach Vestal mid week. Uncertain at this point whether I have to rejoin the queue or if they’ll go straight to work on it. I will find out. It had crossed my mind to see if they might want the other part. Thanks for suggesting it. When all is settled, I’ll make the 400 mile round trip bring it home. I’ve spent the months since of downtime sourciing materials for and building a slab of walnut into a sturdy and dare I say lovely home for my gear and with far better record storage (not in walnut). I’m very near completion on all of that too so the timing is working out nicely. Good luck on the junker. More to come.
A local unit for parts. Dumb luck that I heard about it, inquired and got a reply just after putting in my first bid on the one in the eBay auction. In the mail to AC now. I was able to get both autoformers in the deal. If both are good I’ll have a spare to help someone in the same bind I was in.

Weighing back in for “the rest of the story”. It took a while but AC confirmed both autoformers I found and sent along for possible use in the repairs on my MC2105 were good. So, it’s been repaired and given a good going over. It’ll finally be home late this week after having been driven out to Vestal in early Feb. A happy ending indeed…and it turns out the 2nd autoformer is good also. I guess I’ll hope to learn on these forums whether it’s wise to hang onto it as a spare or if not what its fair market value might be.
 
But they all go there to buy obsolete and hard to find parts. If AC doesn't have it there are very few other choices.
of course. I also do not understand why they do not name it, but that was the only explanation that I could come up with.
 
No prohibition on saying "eBay" or discussing eBay, just no active links. One reason is the links go stale, and someone perusing the thread later comes up with a dead link. We seem to have members who like to dredge up very old topics and sometimes it's not readily apparent that it's a thread that's old enough to vote - and the dead link results in confusion.

The other is we don't want to encourage members to promote their auctions, their friends' auctions, etc.
 
Weighing back in for “the rest of the story”. It took a while but AC confirmed both autoformers I found and sent along for possible use in the repairs on my MC2105 were good. So, it’s been repaired and given a good going over. It’ll finally be home late this week after having been driven out to Vestal in early Feb. A happy ending indeed…and it turns out the 2nd autoformer is good also. I guess I’ll hope to learn on these forums whether it’s wise to hang onto it as a spare or if not what its fair market value might be.
An Autoformer failure is pretty rare, from what I have read in these pages over the last several years.
A spare will likely just gather a lot of dust. You might recoup some of your expense refurbing the unit, by selling the Autoformer.
 
Back
Top Bottom