• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MC501 vs MC452 vs MC402

Register to hide this ad
You cannot go wrong with any of them :P It's that easy :)

That's why I went with the MC402 as my first McIntosh. I got a great deal on a super clean pre loved amp. It sound fantastic. And maybe when the new ones shake out, I'll upgrade to the new series mono amps when they come around. From all indications, the new models are getting high praise from those who have heard them.

Good Luck!

Joe
 
Those are three very nice amps to compare!

Thanks,
Ron-C


That's a very nice answer :) But i would feel even nicer if u describe a bit more comparing MC-452 with 402 and with 501. :) I hope u would be nice enough to write nice description of those nice amps :)


Nice greeting


Darko
 
That's something of an unfair request. There are still plenty of MC402s with dealers and possibly in the delivery pipeline. If Ron tells folks the MC452 'kills it' then he is hurting the dealer network. Same with the MC501. If you really want to know, head down to your McIntosh dealer and/or read the reviews. Several folks have posted their impressions on the 'other' forum (AAf).
 
That's a very nice answer :) But i would feel even nicer if u describe a bit more comparing MC-452 with 402 and with 501. :) I hope u would be nice enough to write nice description of those nice amps :)


Nice greeting


Darko

Aim for audition them and compare the sound with your own ears. Only you can tell what sounds good for you.
 
If you compare the amps, you have to be careful if they are cold. The MC452 has bias tracking which will mean the amp will sound about the same when it is cold as when warm. That is one nice thing about bias tracking, no warm up needed.If you do not know this, you could mislead yourself into thinking that differences between the amps, the older ones that need to warm, are greater than they may actually be. The MC501s and MC402 will need some period to warm to sound their best. Make sure to give the older models time to warm up if you want to do an even comparison. I see that the MC452 has a damping factor of greater than 40 and the MC501s are rated as greater than 100. Believe I read some where that anything over 100 is as good as you need? Not sure how much of a difference the dampening factor is. The MC501s produce more bass than the MC402. Is the higher dampening factor that it also has over the MC452 a clue that the same will hold true with this amp? I do not know.
 
Aim for audition them and compare the sound with your own ears. Only you can tell what sounds good for you.



If that was possible definitly i wont ask that.. At my dealer place there are only pair of MC501 and MC275 as demo.. For other models it have to be ordered blindly.. So that's why i need that information...


Greetings
 
If you compare the amps, you have to be careful if they are cold. The MC452 has bias tracking which will mean the amp will sound about the same when it is cold as when warm. That is one nice thing about bias tracking, no warm up needed.If you do not know this, you could mislead yourself into thinking that differences between the amps, the older ones that need to warm, are greater than they may actually be. The MC501s and MC402 will need some period to warm to sound their best. Make sure to give the older models time to warm up if you want to do an even comparison. I see that the MC452 has a damping factor of greater than 40 and the MC501s are rated as greater than 100. Believe I read some where that anything over 100 is as good as you need? Not sure how much of a difference the dampening factor is. The MC501s produce more bass than the MC402. Is the higher dampening factor that it also has over the MC452 a clue that the same will hold true with this amp? I do not know.



Thank u for u'r answer.. I had a chance to listen MC501 and MC275 (MC402 also but on totaly different speakers, preamp, cables, so its almost like i didnt hear it at all). I wondering if MC452 is closer to MC501 or to MC402.. From u'r post seem that MC452 is a bit of improvement compared to MC402 and that MC501 is still one class higher.. Or u dont agree with me?


Darko
 
. From u'r post seem that MC452 is a bit of improvement compared to MC402 and that MC501 is still one class higher.. Or u dont agree with me?


Darko
That would be my guess. The MC501s, like all of the Mcintosh monoblocks, have bigger autoformers. There is also the potential for a larger power supply with a monoblock design. With stereo amps or multi-channels amps you can have two or more channels drawing power, in most designs from a single power supply. Of course with a mono there is only one channel drawing power. A few years back, I owned an amplifier that had the ability to both bias track and shut down channels from either 5 to just one. One thing that I noticed was the that amp sounded significantly better in stereo the less channels that were on. Not an apples to apples to comparison but I think the logic applies. Typically multi-channels amps do not sound as good as stereo amps and stereo amps not as good as monoblocks. That has just been my experience. The MC452 however may benefit from newer circuit designs and different parts that may not be so apparent that may bring it closer to the monoblocks. My guess is that it still has a shared power supply and smaller autoformers per channel.
 
Last edited:
That would be my guess. The MC501s, like all of the Mcintosh monoblocks, have bigger autoformers. There is also the potential for a larger power supply with a monoblock design. With stereo amps or multi-channels amps you can have two or more channels drawing power, in most designs from a single power supply. Of course with a mono there is only one channel drawing power. A few years back, I owned an amplifier that had the ability to both bias track and shut down channels from either 5 to just one. One thing that I noticed was the that amp sounded significantly better in stereo the less channels that were on. Not an apples to apples to comparison but I think the logic applies. Typically multi-channels amps do not sound as good as stereo amps and stereo amps not as good as monoblocks. That has just been my experience. The MC452 however may benefit from newer circuit designs and different parts that may not be so apparent that may bring it closer to the monoblocks. My guess is that it still has a shared power supply and smaller autoformers per channel.




RonC? :)


Greetings

Darko
 
If you have heard the 303, then you know what a 452 sounds like, same output devices and similar circuits, but with 1.8db more power. There is always a difference however. The 303 I find doesn't fog up at higher continuous levels like the previous generation of amps. It sounds more like the direct coupled amps if they are not stressed into operating into the Power Guard. The MA6900 uses the same outputs. I believe the 1,2k also, but maybe wrong. If I ever get rid of my more efficient speakers and find a pair of good 290's. I'll start out with a single 452, and then add a second with both running in mono if I need the extra 3db of power. Roger tells me the 2600 was all that the 290 could handle with the power guard lights on . So two 452's should be about right with no flashing lights. TWI
 
That's unfortunate for me! And no the 1.2 k has the old output devices, its the 2k with the tracking transistors. Even so, the 1.2k has a nice sound for a big amp. Let's see you could drive 20 cornerhorns with one. If the horns could be overlapped that's 140 db at 4'. That's some serious sound. TWI
 
I have spoken with two dealers both who have heard all three amps and whose opinion I trust. Both rank them the same, MC501s best, MC452 next, and then MC402. Both still feel the MC402 represents the best bargain. Both know I have the MC501s and are not trying to sell me anything. One felt that the decision depends on the rest of the system. While he felt the MC452 is better than the MC402, the money might be better spent somewhere else in the system, like say a better CD player or such. Everyone that I have communicated with on this issue feel the MC501s are just smoother and more musical than the other two amps. The MC452 is more dynamic however. It would seem it will take the replacement for the MC501s to beat them. I have decided to sell my MC501s and wait for the replacements.
 
Recently there are lots of used 501s on sales and you can get some real deals. If your system is not that power hungry, a pair of 501 can make you feel like in heaven. Why wait?!
-------------------------------------------------
MC501(2), C2300, B&W 802D(2), MR71, & many other tube amps and cdp.
 
Recently there are lots of used 501s on sales and you can get some real deals. If your system is not that power hungry, a pair of 501 can make you feel like in heaven. Why wait!? cdp.
I like the 'if your system is not that power hurry......' part. Guess I'm old school.
 
Back
Top Bottom