These threads tend to drift like that, stream of consciousness stuff and all that.Welcome to the Car Show Forum.
I know right? We live in the age of why work for it when I can steal it from someone else? Seems odd to me that we would glorify that here ...What an odd reply.
I see. So, theft is a profession which should be embraced like any other.The concept of making a copy of someone else's work is as old as time.
The 1969 edition of the "Audio Cyclopedia" has the circuit description and schematic for the Mc40, Mc275 and the C24, as well as for the Williamson amplifier in great detail. I'd bet Howard Tremaine did not steal the information and it was co-published by Howard W. Sams. The circuit was also described by Frank McIntosh in the December 1949 ssue of Audio Engineering. A patent attorney could weigh in here and prove me wrong but I think the patent has expired. The McIntosh logo and style are a trademark and that is an entirely different manner and possibly why some are less than happy.Well the Williamson was expressly published. Not aware of Mac doing the same.
I see. So, theft is a profession which should be embraced like any other.
Pedantic mode (on).I guess Ransom Olds shouldn't have dared to make a car since Henry Ford was already producing them?

Exactly!Pedantic mode (on).
Web search that, the Olds engine works was running long before Ford built his experimental 1896 quadracycle, Olds had an experimental automobile 1896. 1885 Carl Benz motorwagon beat Ford/Olds by 11 years.
Olds intro'ed their first production model 1901, Ford 1903.
History can be messy, Ford endulged himself in promotional puffery.
![]()
Pedantic mode (on).
...
![]()
There were many working on "horseless carriages" in that period, it was something "in the air" of practicality with many sub concepts coming together in the realm of possibilities. Ford was but one of many fascinated with the possibilities. IC motive power was one of three basic sources concidered that became dominant thru development and refinement with the technology then available.well in that case Henry shouldn't have bothered. The point still stands, just because someone made a thing doesn't mean someone else can't also make a thing. Nobody seems to be up in arms about anyone making exact copies of Dynaco stuff even though the Dynaco company and the people who founded it are gone. Nobody cares that you can build an exact replica of a Shelby Cobra or a Porsche 356 or any number of other things. The fact that a copy exists doesn't make the original thing any less real.