• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

McIntosh MC275 MK VI Clone

I'd like to see a pic of the power cord.
I'll get some in the next few days.... In reality the cord looks very similar to what Amazon sells for about $50 or so in most cases....perhaps 1.5" or so in diameter with metal plugs on the ends. Not as nice as the Anvil type case it came in, but better than most that I use for other equipment. I'm not a great believer in fancy power cables as long as the gauge is large enough to carry the needed current.
 
Here is the power cord and the Anvil type case......20221119_135614.jpg 20221119_135623.jpg
Shipping it in the heavy foam lined case makes shipping protection easy for them. They simply drop it into a double thickness cardboard box and ship....no extra padding needed and the amp ships with the tubes installed. The case provides extremely good protection and also allows future shipping or moving of the amp with ease. I was quite impressed with the case. It's very heavy duty and the construction is top shelf.
 
I've been looking at those MC275 clones ever since they first began advertising them several years ago and was always tempted to buy one, but never felt that I had enough extra cash laying around to possibly "waste" on a Chinese copy. I've been waiting years for someone to post about buying one and their experience with it before springing to buy one.
I've owned numerous Chinese amps that were actually really well made and with excellent output transformers....MingDa amps being one of the companies that I have grown to trust. I've owned numerous Macs in the past including 2 MC275's...one original and a Mk4 special edition... Mc30's, Mc75's and still have a 240 that I use occasionally. In any case after reading the OP's post I finally decided to splurge and buy one. It took about a week to arrive and after swapping out the tubes for ones that I know I'd prefer over the Chinese tubes and the EH KT88's I can honestly say that I've been quite pleasantly surprised at the excellent sound this amp provides. I generally run a pair of Heathkit W6A's with McShane type mods done to them and have owned and used them for 20 years or so and swap them out for others when wanting to play with the system. The only staple in my system is my pair of old Altec 19's that I will always keep despite trying many other high end speakers though the past 30 years or so. I drive the amp with either an AR LS25Mk2 or my SP-3A pre.
My question to the OP is what came along with the amp when you received it? Mine came packed in a beautiful heavy duty Anvil type carrying case with handles on the sides, a power cord with a diameter about the size of my wrist, a commemorative label for the front, labels for the transformers and the Mac 275 front insignia plate included. Did yours have all of this with it? $2200 through Ali Express shipping included via Fed Ex express. I'm not trying to impress anyone who might ever see my system...I have an original mac and other vintage amps to do that if I ever wanted to. I simply like the design, layout and the sound is excellent. I expect it to get better as time goes by. I did notice that my 2 caps...( the ones you replaced with the PIO's ) are not the same as the your original ones....they are electrolytics and I will probably replace mine sometime in the near future, but for right now they're doing the job just fine and I'm not a fan of the Mundorf aluminum caps... I'll find others for that. For the money though...quite a nice amp!
The Amp was shipped in a Double HD Box (4" sides foam) with a stock cable (Nice thick one Brother). I did replace the WIMA Films, Mains/Caps and used Mundorf EVO Oil (Space is Tight and these just fit).
Give the Amp at least 125-150hrs to Open up (wider sound) but replacing the RIFA with Films really does make a difference as I would have used my go to Mundorf Supreme - Silver/Oil but these would not fit in this Amp (space is not there). Please give this Amp 200hrs+ as I have been surprised on the sound.
 
Here is burned and dissected original McIntosh transformer. It is nowhere close to the state of art.
 

Attachments

  • 14634614843923748.jpg
    14634614843923748.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 146346150290574910.jpg
    146346150290574910.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 222
  • 146346152193218174.jpg
    146346152193218174.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 225
  • 146346155023498453.jpg
    146346155023498453.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 230
Whoa !

Nice C-core. Amazing how the section of the wire is big compared to a "regular" primary OT. No wonder these MC225 can take some abuse.
Did you do this yourself? You could have carefully reversed engineered it.
 
For the record, I engaged with one of the Aliexpress MC275 clone sellers asking about the output transformers. Attached is the pictures they sent.
 

Attachments

  • ali mc275 trans (1).jpg
    ali mc275 trans (1).jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 267
  • ali mc275 trans (2).jpg
    ali mc275 trans (2).jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 267
  • ali mc275 trans (3).jpg
    ali mc275 trans (3).jpg
    26 KB · Views: 266
Nice C-core. Amazing how the section of the wire is big compared to a "regular" primary OT. No wonder these MC225 can take some abuse.
Did you do this yourself? You could have carefully reversed engineered it.

No, pictures are taken somewhere from Russian forum. I have no intention to reverse engineer McIntosh transformers with bifilar windings. I'm not a fan of this topology.
 
Here is burned and dissected original McIntosh transformer. It is nowhere close to the state of art.

Yep, no question about it, that transformer is nothing more than the usual McIntosh hack-job; Lousy concept, lousy engineering, lousy manufacturing.
Probably explains why the MC225 is such a reviled, unreliable, nasty sounding little piece of s**t.....

I mean, just look at the specs for the amplifier it was used in. Sure, the transformer alone might do just slightly better if it weren't saddled with those horrible vacuum tubes and inferior circuit design, but still, a truly abysmal level of performance:

At rated output:
+0, -0.1 db 18 cycles through 30,000 cycles
+0, -0.5 db 18 cycles through 60,000 cycles

At one-half rated output:
+0, -1 db 14 cycles through 100,000 cycles

:thumbsup:
 
Ha ha.

One thing for sure is that OT is not a clone as the design and core material are different, let alone the introduction of a bobbin.

The wire section seems ok though. So it's another output transformer altogether but does not mean necessarily a piece of junk.
The amp's circuitry is different too.
So, I am waiting to see a real bench results of one of these amps. :lurk:
 
And...as I think most of us know, the newer MC275 transformers are bifilar not trifilar also E-I core not C-core like the old ones.
 
recall seeing a rusty, original one on the bay...the guy wouldn't take 2 grand. might have sold it for 3+. didn't know the transformers weren't the usual transformers. i wouldn't feel comfortable purchasing the clone and not invest even more money into it upgraded parts- caps, etc. a kit would be tempting.
 
Hi, How was the clone doing? Is it right? sounds good?
Going very well and now part of my gear rotation. I am using with the C22 Clone and what a difference this Pre-Amp makes to the overall sound. Also, Very Quiet when I put my ear to the tweeter.
Only thing I need to do is to drill out the inside knob of the Volume control (I replaced the remote volume with Apls Blue Velvet).

MC275Aa.png
 
It's amazing to me what we will and will not tolerate. The maker of this amplifier profits at the expense of another's hard work. In addition, every one they sell comes at the expense of a real one being sold.

By the same token, are we OK with others profiting from our own hard work, ideas, etc? Or is that where we draw the line?
Patents expired a long time ago, so anyone in this world can make clones of it legally. Idk about the chassis case if it’s patented or not, if it is then it’s also over 50 years old. Macs maybe
Still assembled in NY state but some of
Their parts are sourced from China, since all these large famous multi-National companies semiconductor, electronic and machined parts have outsourced all their production to China for their cheap skilled labor, it’s all about increasing profits and lowering costs for these large western companies. The EV ford mustang is made in China. This Apple phone I use is made in China, I ordered German brand Mahle pistons for my old
Mercedes, made in China at the
Mahle factory. Like it or not there a lot of things in your household that are made in China lol
 
I guess nobody gets too fussed about the many Fender Stratocaster clones.

Is the Mustang EV really made in China for the US market? That's a little surprising.
 
Back
Top Bottom