• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

McIntosh MC275 MK VI Clone

It would be interesting to make direct technical comparisons between the subject amp and the McIntosh 275 variants, including bench testing.

Innovation obviously isn't making the present a museum of the past, and I don't know how much innovation is left with tube tech. Most modern amps are Mullard topology variants, ARC certainly moved things forward after McIntosh, but not simple like the Mullards which are attractive for that alone while providing adequate or better results with stability.
 
There were many working on "horseless carriages" in that period, it was something "in the air" of practicality with many sub concepts coming together in the realm of possibilities. Ford was but one of many fascinated with the possibilities. IC motive power was one of three basic sources concidered that became dominant thru development and refinement with the technology then available.
The team that Ford assembled to develop and produce a standardised simple durable (1908 Model T) automobile was a major milestone to expanding the automobile age forward as a standards-setting base line.

The Duryea was around in 1895 and was the first gasoline powered automobile in America...How do I know this? My Great Grandfather William Deats helped develop the car with the Duryea Brothers in MA. My Brothers middle name is Duryea...They beat Ford to it and are not remembered by many...At least McIntosh gets the credit and the profits everyone knows it!!

Just saying
 
The Duryea was around in 1895 and was the first gasoline powered automobile in America...How do I know this? My Great Grandfather William Deats helped develop the car with the Duryea Brothers in MA. My Brothers middle name is Duryea...They beat Ford to it and are not remembered by many...At least McIntosh gets the credit and the profits everyone knows it!!

Just saying
Any decent study certainly credits the Duryea Bros.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dur...Duryea,gasoline-powered automobile in America.
 
Musk seriously needs a publicist to filter his impromptu mindfarts.

Tesla I guess but the subject was his space stuff he was discussing while doing hours long interview walk around at his space camp in Texas which was super interesting and detailed found on YouTube. IDK you can watch he said it and for the topic he appeared serious and has reasons for such..
 
SpaceX also holds many dozens of patents, probably not as many as they could have but him saying something doesn't mean a whole lot.
 
him saying something doesn't mean a whole lot.

Should I feel the same about you? No, I wouldn't for you both. I am not an idiot I am sure he has some (and was saying such in my head watching it) but he said it for some reason and unless I can personally ask him its not worth a lot of thought.
 
That seems like a great value for that chassis especially since it includes the tube cage.

I'm still messaging vendors asking for a blank pcb board. So far, no dice, but I suspect only a matter of time...
 
Another Bile Machine...looks like a MC2152

View attachment 2712219

Wow, that one is sure cheap if it really is a 2 channel 150W amp. May be the ticket for someone who wants tubes for their Magnepans or other inefficient speakers, but doesn't have 10 grand to spend. That said this one is a bit more morally shaky since it's a "replica" of a recent/current product and not one from the 60s.
 
So, for 3300 buck, plus another 500 for shipping, plus import taxes and duties, I can have some chinese "thing" with zero manufacturer support or track record? Suuure.....lets do that...

I think if I were to spend that quantity of dosh on an amplifier it would be a "real" McIntosh, an Audio Research Corporation or a Conrad Johnson, not some shysterclone mkI. Just sayin';)
 
So, for 3300 buck, plus another 500 for shipping, plus import taxes and duties, I can have some chinese "thing" with zero manufacturer support or track record? Suuure.....lets do that...

I think if I were to spend that quantity of dosh on an amplifier it would be a "real" McIntosh, an Audio Research Corporation or a Conrad Johnson, not some shysterclone mkI. Just sayin';)
What is more controversial? Restoring an "Un-molested 60's " McIntosh MC275 or buying a MC-150 Chinese Thing? :dunno:. I find "My Thread" funny to what those think on Cheap Clone crap and when it
comes to McIntosh it's an Original Sin. Mac should be contacting eBay to shut down these buyers, but they don't have the deep pockets like "Rolex". So, guess what, to continue my around the world audio tour of "Let's
see what it can do" I will contact the store I purchased the MC-275 clone "Queenway Store" and inquire on the MC-150.

For the Record...I am trading in my PrimaLuna Diag HP for a Pass Labs INT-25 Amplifier this month, so I do support USA Made.
 
What is more controversial? Restoring an "Un-molested 60's " McIntosh MC275 or buying a MC-150 Chinese Thing? :dunno:. I find "My Thread" funny to what those think on Cheap Clone crap and when it
comes to McIntosh it's an Original Sin. Mac should be contacting eBay to shut down these buyers, but they don't have the deep pockets like "Rolex". So, guess what, to continue my around the world audio tour of "Let's
see what it can do" I will contact the store I purchased the MC-275 clone "Queenway Store" and inquire on the MC-150.

For the Record...I am trading in my PrimaLuna Diag HP for a Pass Labs INT-25 Amplifier this month, so I do support USA Made.

My comment has absolutely nothing to do with "controversy". It also has absolutely nothing to to do with patent infringement or cloning.

What you (or anyone else for that matter) chooses to support or endorse with your own money is entirely your own affair, and again, has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with my post.
 
Wow... somebody should try that thing, it's beautiful. For 3300$ chinese tube amp.. it could sound amazing. Willsenton R8 had great sucess, like LineMagnetic and Cayin... :)
That's the Plan!!!! Going to contact "Queenway Store" from AliExpress.
My comment has absolutely nothing to do with "controversy". It also has absolutely nothing to to do with patent infringement or cloning.

What you (or anyone else for that matter) chooses to support or endorse with your own money is entirely your own affair, and again, has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with my post.
Exactly...My comment was the "controversy" to the replies in this thread as to why support CCP or supporting thieves...whatever. I find the "Mac" supporters marching down the streets with pitchforks :rflmao:and this
thread shows this. As to the MC275 clone, I had a few questions and have received "Support" with schematics and videos. Just wait until I purchased the MC-150 next week and looking at Mid Dec for delivery and
like New Year's...Let the Fireworks begin.
 
Last edited:
I've been looking at those MC275 clones ever since they first began advertising them several years ago and was always tempted to buy one, but never felt that I had enough extra cash laying around to possibly "waste" on a Chinese copy. I've been waiting years for someone to post about buying one and their experience with it before springing to buy one.
I've owned numerous Chinese amps that were actually really well made and with excellent output transformers....MingDa amps being one of the companies that I have grown to trust. I've owned numerous Macs in the past including 2 MC275's...one original and a Mk4 special edition... Mc30's, Mc75's and still have a 240 that I use occasionally. In any case after reading the OP's post I finally decided to splurge and buy one. It took about a week to arrive and after swapping out the tubes for ones that I know I'd prefer over the Chinese tubes and the EH KT88's I can honestly say that I've been quite pleasantly surprised at the excellent sound this amp provides. I generally run a pair of Heathkit W6A's with McShane type mods done to them and have owned and used them for 20 years or so and swap them out for others when wanting to play with the system. The only staple in my system is my pair of old Altec 19's that I will always keep despite trying many other high end speakers though the past 30 years or so. I drive the amp with either an AR LS25Mk2 or my SP-3A pre.
My question to the OP is what came along with the amp when you received it? Mine came packed in a beautiful heavy duty Anvil type carrying case with handles on the sides, a power cord with a diameter about the size of my wrist, a commemorative label for the front, labels for the transformers and the Mac 275 front insignia plate included. Did yours have all of this with it? $2200 through Ali Express shipping included via Fed Ex express. I'm not trying to impress anyone who might ever see my system...I have an original mac and other vintage amps to do that if I ever wanted to. I simply like the design, layout and the sound is excellent. I expect it to get better as time goes by. I did notice that my 2 caps...( the ones you replaced with the PIO's ) are not the same as the your original ones....they are electrolytics and I will probably replace mine sometime in the near future, but for right now they're doing the job just fine and I'm not a fan of the Mundorf aluminum caps... I'll find others for that. For the money though...quite a nice amp!
 
Back
Top Bottom