• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mcintosh v Sansui v Marantz v Pioneer v Sony v Technics Denon who is King Soundwise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the absolute best is...

Mcintosh, Sansui, Marantz, Pioneer, Sony, Technics, Denon, Kenwood, Yamaha Aiwa, Hitachi, Sanyo, Luxman, Dynaco, Heathkit, Ford, Chevy, Coke, Pepsi etc.
 
Vinny: You're going to have as many different answers as there are respondents. Also trying to rank by way of trademark way too general- as within each, there are some really fine units but also some that are not so good.

Suffice it to say each of the manufacturers you cited (plus the other 99% you haven't) all have their partisans and all have their detractors- rightly or wrongly.

If you're trying to take some kind of survey- that's an entirely different matter.
 
Gotta give it to the OP :thmbsp: Still in pursuit of that mega audio related thread :banana:

The best is what you have at the moment, which replaced the junk you used to own (and thought to be best) but replaced it with your current brand, which will be junk to you soon and will be replaced by the brand you currently covet.

The brand names are just markers to help the lot of us navigate throught the landscape of audio gear :D
 
Ok, I'll bite. Its more fun than looking at D-list director's reels.

In all seriousness I don't know why one brand would be consistently better than another. If it was like any other industry, talent moved around, hired-guns designed some stuff, companies sold out to other companies keeping only the name intact, sometimes a lesser brand decided to make a statement piece to play with the popular kids, great stuff was overlooked, mediocre stuff was hyped, some stuff got its well earned praise. Some didn't get any praise at all, even if it deserved it. People looked down on stuff because of the brand name on it, and looked up to stuff for the same reason, regardless of sound quality (I was only 5 at the end of the decade so this is all just a guess). You look inside receivers, they don't look that different from one another. And honestly, they don't sound all that different either, compared to some bigger steps that you can take by abandoning receivers altogether. Of all it, I think the best sounding stuff was the tube gear that managed to still find an audience while everybody else was worried about making up for something else they lacked by bragging about weight and wattage and THD. Sounds over pounds, any day of the week.
 
Enough with the games lets have some serious answers. I want to know what people like the most is there a problem with that? not a survey per se. intelligent dialogue
 
It's just not about the brands. I have absolutely no brand loyalty at all. In my opinion they're irrelevant. Let the piece of gear speak for itself. Most companies in the biz have had their ups and downs. One great example that comes to my mind almost immediately is Marantz. Seriously, Marantz.

There is one serious answer for you.
 
Enough with the games lets have some serious answers. I want to know what people like the most is there a problem with that? not a survey per se. intelligent dialogue

Good luck getting a serious discussion on what amounts to nothing more than peoples opinion.

There is no best brand period.

The most you can expect to get is something like this:

A: Sansui is the best, I have a XXXX model and it sounds better than everything.

B: BS, I have a Yamaha XXXX and it smokes the Sansui XXXX, I know because I had one.

A: You're deaf, the Yamaha XXXX is junk.

C: You are both deaf, if it doesn't have tubes, it sounds like ****. The Fisher XXXX with XXXX speakers is pure heaven.

D: Actually, the best is the Pioneer XXXX with XXXX speakers, and I know because I've listened to everything on the market.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom