• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mcintosh v Sansui v Marantz v Pioneer v Sony v Technics Denon who is King Soundwise

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just not about the brands. I have absolutely no brand loyalty at all. In my opinion they're irrelevant. Let the piece of gear speak for itself. Most companies in the biz have had their ups and downs. One great example that comes to my mind almost immediately is Marantz. Seriously, Marantz.

There is one serious answer for you.

Exactly. How many companies owned the name Marantz? After a time, what does the name even mean? Is a Sansui 5000x the same as a Sansui G22000? Is the company that made Sony Esprit the same company that made clock radios? If Accuphase was from ex-Kenwood guys, was Kenwood even remotely as good? If Tim de Paravicini designed something for Luxman, who gets credit, him or Luxman? My modern integrated was designed by an ex-Luxman designer. Is it still a Luxman? Then what does it mean to be a Luxman, is it just the name on the front?

To the OP: one of the things that makes this site fun, is that we don't stick to all-serious-audio, all the time. We've had these discussions a million times, we're pretty over them and have just as much fun just chilling out with a vaguely audio themed place here. There's a ton of knowledge, but you can't just command it to come out. Start a REAL conversation, about something serious, and you will see it. This is just like asking what is the best color crayon. There's no answer.
 
tekarazzi-bose-logo.jpg
 
Exactly. How many companies owned the name Marantz? After a time, what does the name even mean? Is a Sansui 5000x the same as a Sansui G22000? Is the company that made Sony Esprit the same company that made clock radios? If Accuphase was from ex-Kenwood guys, was Kenwood even remotely as good? If Tim de Paravicini designed something for Luxman, who gets credit, him or Luxman? My modern integrated was designed by an ex-Luxman designer. Is it still a Luxman? Then what does it mean to be a Luxman, is it just the name on the front?

John, you beat me to it! Well stated!

Tyler
 
Human whistling is best... Sure there often is distortion and sometimes musical fidelity is dubious... but you'll never beat that ratio "price vs quality".
 
Enough with the games lets have some serious answers. I want to know what people like the most is there a problem with that? not a survey per se. intelligent dialogue

The problem is that this is different than your first question. I own, or have owned products by Marantz, Sony, Sansui, AR, Technics, H/K, Yamaha, PSB, etc. And have liked them or loved them. I won't say that any of them are "the King". Nobody here would. Nobody here thinks that way. So asking what everyone's favorite brand is is OK(but pointless IMO). Asking which brand is king is bound to get the responses you are getting in this thread.
 
It's just way too subjective a question. What speakers are we driving? What source material? What turntable or CD player? What DAC? Too many variables in there to make a definitive choice. You're on the Marantz forum, so I'd guess you'll get a lot of votes for Marantz gear. If you really want a discussion, then narrow, narrow, narrow down your options, and you'll get some intelligent responses.
 
McIntosh best sounding, most reliable, best supported. Sansui my next favorite pre-1978. Marantz pre-1980 and post 2002 nice and I like. Technics receivers aren't my favorite and except for early models, Denon not my dish of tea in sound or in reliability. Sony's best early 1970's units are up there with the best in sonics and reliability.
 
I've never heard a vintage Pioneer, Marantz or Technics. I guess I am shallow because I can't get passed the looks. They are all uninspiring designs. My favorite looking Sansuis are the single digit and G series. My favorite sounding are the G series. I love the full range that comes out of my G22k.

That's why...G22k
 
Mine is the most-kickass.

Let's be honest here... It's a loaded question. Now, if it had been worded as simply, "What Is Your Favorite?", then we might have gotten somewhere instead of getting pages and pages of flibbeddy-floo. Newbie mistake. I'm sure I posted a couple myself back when I first got here, however unintentionally.

God, I am such a friggin' group-saver, it makes me sick..... Mr. Wave-Smoother...
 
Last edited:
I <3 my Emerson!!!
 

Attachments

  • alfred-e-newman_t600.jpg
    alfred-e-newman_t600.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 4
And yet the one with the most views is the one that was started in order to complain about non-audio threads clogging up AK.:scratch2:

He's trying to swing the balance back in favor of audio in the course of two days. But apparently talking about audio means having pissing contests about which gear is the best of all time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom