• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Micro Seiki owner's club

And no thank you on the idler drive. But it is the first one I've ever seen! Leave that to Lenco if you must have an idler.
 
Have happily (mostly) joined the club! More later, but our BL-99VW has just arrived from Japan. Unfortunately the vacuum pump took major drop fall damage in spite of meticulous packing. Sorting that out now. Serves us right for chasing the "gimmick", heh.

In spite of that, she's a beaut Clark. Can't wait for the cartridge to arrive and spin a record. The tt got here way faster than expected.

(Upload-from-mobile-1781859272)IMG_4621.jpegIMG_4622.jpeg

I do need to find a manual in English lol, especially for this SAEC WE-407/TM - it's a bit complicated and we're inexperienced. May have to enlist an expert here in the Sydney region to do it once for us, pay em extra to teach me. Think if I saw a proper setup done once should be OK to proceed.
 
Nice!

I bet there are more than one set up video out there. Vinyl Engine should be able to provide a protractor and then it’s just fiddly messing around until your two points are properly aligned.

First one takes an hour; second one half that.

I am not a fan of how Micro implemented the vacuum pass through on the spindle. It is a big compromise to the lubrication system. I’ve restored and (best I could) re-engineered one to keep the oil where it should be and not in the vacuum chamber.

The original design basically forces the upper bushing to run dry. Or you suck oil into the vacuum tubes.
 
Yeah Jim I read all your commentary on the spindles with great interest - after we ordered the BL-99V. Guess we can run it without the vac. Had I to do it over again would look for a 91L. Alas here we are. I need to re-read this thread for dry spindle bushing symptoms.

One thing we need to sort is exact tonearm height. Reckon there’s a specific measurement for the 99-VW, possibly in our Japanese manuals, but the other way I saw to do it was with the cartridge installed with protective cover? And just set it on the platter in the arm down position. Maybe a couple mms off the arm rest. Saw that in the one video I could find on the 407.
 
Best way is "sonically" but generally setting the cartridge parallel to the record while playing is good enough. Some cartridges are very sensitive to VTA and other are not. What are you going to put on there?

The last vacuum spindle I played with it was very apparent the upper bushing was running dry. They drill the spindle between the bushings (or at the bottom- I don't remember which) and above the top bushing to mate with the platter. I added an o-ring somehow- I'd have to revisit my photos or have it in hand to remember, but the idea was to create two oil pools, one above and one below. Alternatively high vacuum grease could be used only in the bushing area(s) but I think it's a compromise. I did test with Molykote 111 (silicone grease) and I wasn't happy with that at all.

It was an unusual compromise for Micro who generally seem to have thrown a lot of engineering horsepower at everything else they did.
 
Best way is "sonically" but generally setting the cartridge parallel to the record while playing is good enough. Some cartridges are very sensitive to VTA and other are not. What are you going to put on there?

The last vacuum spindle I played with it was very apparent the upper bushing was running dry. They drill the spindle between the bushings (or at the bottom- I don't remember which) and above the top bushing to mate with the platter. I added an o-ring somehow- I'd have to revisit my photos or have it in hand to remember, but the idea was to create two oil pools, one above and one below. Alternatively high vacuum grease could be used only in the bushing area(s) but I think it's a compromise. I did test with Molykote 111 (silicone grease) and I wasn't happy with that at all.

It was an unusual compromise for Micro who generally seem to have thrown a lot of engineering horsepower at everything else they did.
Denon DL-103R inbound.
 
  • Like
Reactions: j!m
Interesting - I used the 1500 with the vacuum hold down but not the air bearing for nigh on twenty years (and it was used when I got it), and I don't remember any issues with oil. Of course, I wasn't looking, either. Though I did have to replace the hose connections a couple of times, and looked at the vacuum system then.
 
Oh, it’ll spin. Just quieter with oil at the top spindle bushing.

It’s not “loud” but on the 91 platter on but no rubber mat you can hear it in the platter. Even my synthetic Rega oil which ran beautifully for nearly ten years was noisy in the 91 spindle. I had to come up with something completely different.
 
Hi everyone, new here. Bought my Solid 5 off a mate back in 1980 for $50nzd. Just had it looked at by a technician who tells me there is some minor wear in the drive motor bushes. My fault, this is its first proper service in 46 years. Has anyone had to deal with this?? P.S. The Tech was blown away at the quality of it and how stable the speed control was after cleaning the pitch pots etc.
 
I’ve not but you should be able to size them and then either buy at size or modify to correct size and change them.

I’ve never done a solid 5 but I’ve replace and made where necessary bushings. Sintered bronze is the standard but I also look at polymer options- oil impregnated plastics are quite good and extremely quiet if they can handle the load. All thrust bearing balls (Rega and Micro) I change to polymer every time. Quieter than all the other options.
 
'Life time lubrication' is actually 'expected life time lubrication', which probably was ten years or so. Meanwhile, 40 or 50 years have passed.
 
  • Like
Reactions: j!m
'Life time lubrication' is actually 'expected life time lubrication', which probably was ten years or so. Meanwhile, 40 or 50 years have passed.
Yes, totally my fault however tech reckons it’s not to bad and may not become a big issue.
It’s got a new power supply lead and new RCA leads, pitch control is 99.99% perfect, wow & flutter at just in 0.05. Pick it up this week so will post a review.
 
  • Like
Reactions: j!m
Yes, totally my fault however tech reckons it’s not to bad and may not become a big issue.
It’s got a new power supply lead and new RCA leads, pitch control is 99.99% perfect, wow & flutter at just in 0.05. Pick it up this week so will post a review.
50 year old Turntable back home, hooked up, sounds amazing, No speed issues. Turns out the Tech replaced the caps as well. Now to get a complimentary Phono stage and possibly a a new AT/VMN95EN although I’m not sure I need it.
Need to talk to Tech about what he saw.
There you have it.

​

 
That’s a handsome table. Well done.
Thanks, at one point I thought it was all over but the tech here at Searle Electronics Whangarei did a fantastic job on it. Have grown very attached to it over the last 50 years. To be honest part of me was looking forward to something new but I’m equally happy to stick with it.
 
Back
Top Bottom