• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ML1 MKII Claims No Dedicated Left or Right Unlike the Original ML-1Cs?

AArline

New Member
According to McIntosh Labs the new take on the ML-1Cs do not care which orientation they are set up, but to my knowledge neither did the original ML-1Cs. Am I wrong?
 

Attachments

  • ML1MKII.png
    ML1MKII.png
    580.7 KB · Views: 22
Register to hide this ad
Correct. I think the point they're emphasizing is that the driver positioning on the reissue eliminates the mirror image inconsistency of the original.

maxresdefault.jpg
 
With non directional uni-point speakers driver placement isn't that critical unless you are listening very closely in the near field. If you have directional speakers then driver placement can be an issue. With the new speakers you want the mid range arrival times or distances to be the same. Especially around the 1000 and above frequencies so you don't perceive smearing due to different arrival limes.. Of course Roger said that was a scientific fact but that our ears are not scientifically based and as long as the arrival time differences are short our brain integrates the sound recognizing the first arrival time and mentally combining the second or thirds etc. Here again that is very true in the far field but in the near field some folks are very sensitive to different arrival times.
 
With my line arrays listening to a mono signal which is only about 12 to 18" wide as I visualize it. If I move my head left or right say 6 inches or so I can hear the changes in tonal quality, but the image still stays fairly centered. If I listen to my Concert Grands which are now part of the HT system at relative close distances of 10 feet or less I can hear shifts between the two midranges placed about two feet apart horizontally on the front baffle. Now my tweeters are in a line array placed between the mids. The main issue is because the array is about 2.5 feet long you have to be seated if you want an accurate presentation from the speaker system. But like the Mcintosh speakers that have shorter line arrays, XRT 18, 24 and 25 as I remember and of course my XR 28's. So I can see why some folks love point source speakers. But I get conflicted when sitting to close or to far away from point source speakers. They loose their definition to quickly and if you sit to closely it sort of reminds me of wearing open air head phones. So I'll stick with the line arrays as my preferred choice to get the clarity I want even when I am not sitting anywhere near the sweet spot.
 
To my knowledge, the original 1C speakers were all built with the tweeter on the right side and they never made a mirror image speaker to pair. The advert is misleading. I would love to hear a pair of the new ones but I am sure there will be no place to demo them in the greater New Orleans area.
Although I love my ML-1C's , the lack of symmetry has always bugged me. I don't think I can hear it, but I can't run them without the grills or I looking at them would drive me insane.
 
"Unlike the original ML1, the drivers on the new generation ML1 are positioned symmetrically so there is not a dedicated left and right speaker, eliminating the possibility of installing the speakers in the wrong orientation, and providing a more uniform listening area."

All they are saying is the drivers of the MkII are positioned symmetrically unlike the original.
 
A friend of mine just visited the Factory for the demo of the new ML1 MK II and he was not pleased at all. They have been padded down the speaker to take big power and are terribly over priced he thought. The speaker was designed and is being built here in the US. He said the sound wasn't natural at all.
 
A friend of mine just visited the Factory for the demo of the new ML1 MK II and he was not pleased at all. They have been padded down the speaker to take big power and are terribly over priced he thought. The speaker was designed and is being built here in the US. He said the sound wasn't natural at all.

Much like the original then.
 
OH a ML-1 was rather good if installed properly and a MQ 107 was used with it. You know with the tweeter at ear height against a wall but not to close to the floor or near a corner, then very little bass correction was required. Sort of like an AR-3a . The MQ 101 was definitely a mis mis deal. I use to install them with UREI stereo program EQ's before the MQ107 came along an they balanced out almost perfectly 90% of the time. They really out performed KLH< AR, Klipsch, Boston, B&W speakers whether voiced or not. A B&O 5700 was slightly better raw out of the box. But a lot of other speakers fell way short. Boston, Klipsch, Rectilinear, Bose, Ortofon, Revox, RTR, EPI, Jensen, Bozak book shelf, and others. But you needed a good clean amp to power them and never let the amp go into distortion. They could be a little soft and indistinguishable with a 2105 or MC 2505. I preferred them with the MC 2002 and for small rooms the MC 502. They worked great with the MC 7100. You weren't as apt to tear up the tweeters with the amps with PowerGuard. I use to double orange dome them and double tweet them when necessary. IMG_3660.jpeg
 
Back
Top Bottom