• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Modified Vintage, or High End Modern Technology

ehoove

Old & New - Carpe Diem
Staff member
Admin
Super Mod
Moderator
Subscriber
Here is my delema - I currently have the following tables:

Thorens TD150AB/Jelco 750D/Denon DL103r
Thorens TD160/Project 9CC/Sumiko Blackbird
Thorens TD125AB/Magnapan Unitrac1/Dynavector DV20XM (VPI)
Thorens TD126 MkII/Magnapan Unitrac1/ AudioTechnica AT14Sa

Kenwood KD500/Mayware Formula 4 MkII/Sonus Blue Gold

I have 3 systems, and 3 phono stages:
Hypnotoaded CA640p/Pangea 100 PS
M/S Phonomena with Battery pack
M/S Phonomena II

I'm thinking of keeping the TD160 which is highly modified and has a custom built plinth veneered by merrylander to match my Yamaha CR2040. They look and sound great together!

If I were to sell off all the others, I could easily put together the funds to acquire a late model newer technology table for the main Rig, and consolidate My LP Collection to one area as opposed to all over the place.

So what do you think? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated! I do have quite a bit of time invested in the tables, but I can only play one at a time. :^)

Regards,
Jim
 
Register to hide this ad
Why not try a new table Jim? It would be great to compare and contrast that with the 160. The best of the old and the best of the new. :music::yes:
 
If I were to sell off all the others, I could easily put together the funds to acquire a late model newer technology table for the main Rig, and consolidate My LP Collection to one area as opposed to all over the place.

So what do you think?

do-it.gif
 
Well, I would go from 5 to 2.
Regards,
Jim
 
late model newer technology

You're not suggesting that "newer" technology is better are you?

If anything, modern day turntables are cheaper, cruder, and less sophisticated than those sold in the golden age of vinyl 30-40 years ago.

One the one hand, you have Made In China units (the Technics SL-1200 knockoffs a prime example) that are lower quality reverse-engineered copies of vintage designs.

On the other hand, you have very simple and rudimentary belt drive units, with no means of dialing in accurate speed (lest one spend $$$ on an optional 'speed controller'). Legions of audiophiles have been conned into believing "specs don't matter" and indeed, quite a few of these so-called "audiophile" turntables are built & sold to NO published specs and dubious quality control.

So what do you think?

If I were in your shoes, I'd keep two favorite turntables, sell the other three, and put the proceeds into buying more records.
 
You're not suggesting that "newer" technology is better are you?

If anything, modern day turntables are cheaper, cruder, and less sophisticated than those sold in the golden age of vinyl 30-40 years ago.

One the one hand, you have Made In China units (the Technics SL-1200 knockoffs a prime example) that are lower quality reverse-engineered copies of vintage designs.

On the other hand, you have very simple and rudimentary belt drive units, with no means of dialing in accurate speed (lest one spend $$$ on an optional 'speed controller'). Legions of audiophiles have been conned into believing "specs don't matter" and indeed, quite a few of these so-called "audiophile" turntables are built & sold to NO published specs and dubious quality control.

Not in the investment range I am considering. IMHO That being said I might consider selling a few and getting a Vintage Yamaha GT2000 table. :^)

Regards,
Jim
 
I know what I would have done!
gusten



I would have sold all and bought a Brinkmann DD.
 
Last edited:
You need to send both those old piece of crap unitracks this way. One would looke good in fomt of my magnepan 3,6s, the other would look good in front of my 1.4s :D:D:D:D:D:D
 
Interesting dilemma Jim, I’ve been considering the same thing myself, if I off several Thorens I could be looking at tables in the $2500 to $3500 range, which might be an interesting place to go.
 
cool ...

GT2000 - any day of the week :banana: Even some of its slightly lesser cousins would do the trick for me :yes:

Or, maybe Oracle, Delphi, or highly customized Empire ... There are serious options at this point. But I'd be going to personally demo a bunch at other AK'ers houses before making the switch (road trips :) ). I'd be taking my favorite cans with me and listening very carefully :music:

I understand downsizing. I'll be going there this summer. Building the "new" stereo center upstairs as I write this. Once done, I'll be consolidating too :)
 
Last edited:
I think it's a good idea. Our friend Jim P. did something similar a few months ago & couldn't be happier.

What are your thoughts on the phono stages?
 
Great idea, Jim. I'm starting to shop for, or at least plan to shop for, my next table. Sooo many great new tables out there now. The Rega RP6 or RP8 seems very nice, for instance.
 
I have so much on vinyl, that I feel I should explore the possibility that there may be a better way to retrieve more information on the discs. My Vintage Thorens tables please me, but are 30 year old executions of design. I have modified them, added better tonearms, and think they are outstanding tables, but I feel I am being closed minded to think they can compete with the engineering of today's higher end designs. God knows I have never been accused of being closed minded when it comes to things audio! :^)
Regards,
Jim
 
I am far from an expert, but determined after a lot of research a VPI Scout or similar is likely the minimum entry in new TTs that can complete with better vintage turntables performance wise that we (I) sometimes take for granted. I went used vintage.

I decided to buy a clean Garrard 401, Jelco 750L & custom plinth plus a few tweaks.
 
Last edited:
I am far from an expert, but determined after a lot of research a VPI Scout or similar is likely the minimum entry in new TTs that can complete with better vintage turntables performance wise that we (I) sometimes take for granted. I went used vintage.

I decided to buy a clean Garrard 401, Jelco 750L & custom plinth plus a few tweaks.

My plan would be to go a good ways past the scout. FWIW
Regards,
Jim
 
I have so much on vinyl, that I feel I should explore the possibility that there may be a better way to retrieve more information on the discs. My Vintage Thorens tables please me, but are 30 year old executions of design. I have modified them, added better tonearms, and think they are outstanding tables, but I feel I am being closed minded to think they can compete with the engineering of today's higher end designs. God knows I have never been accused of being closed minded when it comes to things audio! :^)
Regards,
Jim

Regardless of what some like to think, TT technology has advanced a lot in the last 30 years. Visit some decent local audio stores and check them out. So much great stuff out there.
 
Yes, if you haven't already visit some stores..I think you'll be impressed! I know I was. I ended up with a VPI Classic but if I had it to do over again I'd have bought a Well Tempered GTA Amadeus and called it a day, and not have a Classic and 8 other tables around here. The logic that a more complicated turntable is better than one that better addresses the basic physics involved is beyond me. But the answer is easily heard in comparisons with all but the best of the vintage best, in the GT-2000 level and highly modified idlers. The ears will lead the way if you let them! Good luck and make it a fun journey. The hardest part is selling :(.
 
Back
Top Bottom