• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Moron vs B-2

Brian, Bring it down here to Buffalo and we can do the restoration on both our B-2's together ! lol

Athanasios
 
Nah, get this wreck instead :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-B2-amplifier-Original-V-FET-transistor/322721220182?_trkparms=aid=777003&algo=DISCL.MBE&ao=2&asc=47507&meid=6eaad22375974252bb65e1c46079760b&pid=100012&rk=5&rkt=12&sd=152714041313&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985

this one has "Yamaha B2 Corporation has not made a great recovery. I replaced all the air conditioner and make shorter the line input. Now is a great power"

back panel is a bit average...

Yes, that one kills me. I've looked at it a few times. Even the top case doesn't look original.

$1100! Maybe $300 for parts....

I would've bought one from Japan a long time ago if it wasn't for the 100V problem.
 
About the 100V problem, could these B-2s be powered using a proper 230/100V transformer or there is a fear of altering the performance by this method?
I am asking because I am very tempted to purchase a B-3 which is only on 100V, with a power consumption of 190W. How about a transformer of 2000 VA, will this be a good one?
B-3 back panel.jpg
 
Last edited:
I figure there is a good chance it was owned by only one owner and it looks to be in good condition.
That was my feeling on this one too.
Ever since I realized the potential of my current B2, I have been longing for a second one. Funny how that works. ;)
Understood and very much appreciated ... as you already know.
 
$1100 for the amp and $350 shipping from moscow, and a series of holes drilled across the back panel and - soemhing weird with the fuse panel -
- what could POSSIBLY go wrong??

Nah, get this wreck instead :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-B2-amplifier-Original-V-FET-transistor/322721220182?_trkparms=aid=777003&algo=DISCL.MBE&ao=2&asc=47507&meid=6eaad22375974252bb65e1c46079760b&pid=100012&rk=5&rkt=12&sd=152714041313&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985

this one has "Yamaha B2 Corporation has not made a great recovery. I replaced all the air conditioner and make shorter the line input. Now is a great power"

back panel is a bit average...
 
About the 100V problem, could these B-2s be powered using a proper 230/100V transformer or there is a fear of altering the performance by this method?
I am asking because I am very tempted to purchase a B-3 which is only on 100V, with a power consumption of 190W. How about a transformer of 2000 VA, will this be a good one?
View attachment 1015620

Cosmin, the transformer needs to have at least twice the rated kVA of the amplifier, for the performance not to be impacted. 2kVA Transformer would more than suffice for B-2 or a B-3.

B-1, does not have the issue between Japan / US markets. No step up is needed. It would need step-up for EU

I thought you would have already bought one of those B-3s by now. Just close your eyes and pull the trigger :naughty:
 
Last edited:
Cosmin, the transformer needs to have at lease twice the rated kVA of the amplifier, for the performance not to be impacted. 2kVA Transformer would more than suffice for B-2 or a B-3.

B-1, does not have the issue between Japan / US markets. No step up is needed. It would need step-up for EU

I thought you would have already bought one of those B-3s by now. Just close your eyes and pull the trigger :naughty:

Thanks for the input, rottalpha! Well, I keep saying to myself "Buy it!, buy it!", but until now I haven't got the guts to do it, to push the button so to speak, because so little info I could collect, even from AK members. There are only few of them who had listened to a B-3, many with B-2s. Moreover, from the Chinese market some sellers have sold their B-3s during this summer vacation, at some point there was none left...:dunno:
I also spotted a good B-2 in Romania, but the price is more than double of one B-3 in China, so which one is better two B-3 in bridge mode or one B-2?
 
Yes, that one kills me. I've looked at it a few times. Even the top case doesn't look original.

$1100! Maybe $300 for parts....

I would've bought one from Japan a long time ago if it wasn't for the 100V problem.
There is no problem with Japan units. An isolation transformer is recommended regardless. Just get one that has a 100v and 120v secondaries. That way your choices are now open to other goodies from the Japanese market.
 
I've been looking at some stuff from Japan myself. The Yahoo Aleado site looks really promising though I'm not exactly sure how to use it.
 
I've been looking at some stuff from Japan myself. The Yahoo Aleado site looks really promising though I'm not exactly sure how to use it.
It's the English proxy website of Yahoo Auctions Japan. It works like eBay. You bid, win and pay. Be aware of the shipping cost ;-)
 
Ok.

This I did not expect.

I had noticed that I received two shipping notices when Moron shipped the B2. I jokingly thought to myself, "hopefully he didn't saw it in half." But I gave it little further thought.

Today this showed up at my door.

IMG_20171009_163939.jpg

So a fully functional B2 and C2 for $640!
 
I have a funny feeling you'll be getting a notice shortly from the seller, that the guy who had the winning bid on the C2 is wondering why it never showed up at HIS door.
Just sayin'.
 
Ok.

This I did not expect.

I had noticed that I received two shipping notices when Moron shipped the B2. I jokingly thought to myself, "hopefully he didn't saw it in half." But I gave it little further thought.

Today this showed up at my door.

View attachment 1021388

So a fully functional B2 and C2 for $640!

Well if he actually meant to send it (as he may have assumed that the B-2/C-2 only work as paired components) then I would change the "moron" to "the dude" or "el dudarino". Cuz you got hooked thafugup!!
 
Back
Top Bottom