• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

most creative album covers

I've always fancied this one from Sugarloaf (1974), along w/several "YES" LP's:
 

Attachments

  • Sugarloaf.jpg
    Sugarloaf.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 81
I always liked Rage Against the Machines first self-titled album:
Rage-Against-The-Machine---Burning-Monk-Poster-C10291118.jpeg
 
the album "back to 78" from a dutch band called Gruppo Sportivo

Not so much the cover but the label, it portrays a nude guy who was caught in the act with his lovely female neighbour at #77 and tries to get back to his own house at #78 (a very original way to avoid censorship due to explicit nudity)

GruppoSportivo-BackIn78binnenhoes.jpg
 
Jethro Tull - Stand Up (which actually did when you opened it.)

Cheech and Chong - Big Bamboo (with the world's largest rolling paper.)

Interestingly, if you look at the caricature of Ian Anderson on the front of "Stand Up", he has 11 fingers! No wonder he's pretty good on the acoustic! :D

My choices would be:
Jethro Tull "Thick as a Brick"
ELP "Brain Salad Surgery"
The Nice "Elegy"
BeBop Deluxe "Live! In the Air Age"
...and probably a few more if I could be bothered to get up from the computer and go look at my LP collection
 
Come to think about it, got a nice 160 page paperback book full with the most creative albumcovers untill 1977.
Bought it some 30 years ago so I'm not sure if it is still 4Sale. But you might get lucky in a thriftshop or carboorsale

Titel: Album cover album, the book of record jackets edited by Storm Thorgerson (Hipgnosis) & Roger Dean
Publisher: Dragon's World
ISBN no.: 0-905895-00-2 (hardback) and 0-905895-01-0 (limpback)
Date of issue: 1977

If anyone is interested I might try to scan the cover (anyway a part of it) so you know what to look for.
 
levensnevel - That would be cool to see!

It seems that every time I try to get a Roger Dean print, the more obscure works I really want from him are not available. (Yes, I've been out to his site and Pomegranite.)
 
Well John,
made 2 scans 4U.
Unfortunately is the size of the book a bit akward: exactly the size of an Album cover so I couldn't scan the entire pages due to the size of my scanner.
If the links don't work I'll make an upload to my Photobucket account later 2nite or 2morrow morning as that site is 'under maintenance" at this moment.
If you want 'full size scans' just drop me a PM. Not sure how many Roiger Dean albumsleeves are included in this book though
 

Attachments

  • Albumcover 001R2.jpg
    Albumcover 001R2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Albumcover 002R2.jpg
    Albumcover 002R2.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 76
Well John,
made 2 scans 4U.
Unfortunately is the size of the book a bit akward: exactly the size of an Album cover so I couldn't scan the entire pages due to the size of my scanner.
If the links don't work I'll make an upload to my Photobucket account later 2nite or 2morrow morning as that site is 'under maintenance" at this moment.
If you want 'full size scans' just drop me a PM. Not sure how many Roiger Dean albumsleeves are included in this book though

Nice!!! Love it!
 
The Clash

The iconic image that graces the front of London Calling is my favorite album cover. No one can smash a base guitar quite like Paul Simonon.
 
Someone mentioned Genesis "Nursery Cryme"--that's a Paul Whitehead cover--he also did Van der Graaf Generator's "Pawn Hearts" and another Genesis "Foxtrot". cool artist.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom